Coffee Cup restaraunt in Nelsonville destroyed by fire!

General Chat
froggy48
Riding the Bench

Coffee Cup restaraunt in Nelsonville destroyed by fire!

Post by froggy48 »

I am sure a lot of you have heard but for those who haven't the Coffee Cup was destroyed by fire early this morning. I hope they rebuild. Have eaten there alot and always enjoyed the meals. Good Luck to The Smith Family!!

Tiger Lady
SE

Re: Coffee Cup restaraunt in Nelsonville destroyed by fire!

Post by Tiger Lady »

:( :( :( :( :(

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

We ate there several times traveling to N-Y for playoff games......a real shame to lose a landmark like the Cup......

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

great place to eat

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

State officials investigating = they suspect arson

Sad.

froggy48
Riding the Bench

Post by froggy48 »

Anyone hear anything more about this. Can't imagine why anyone would want to start a fire at this place but it is a screwed up world we live in!

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I heard it was caused by a box fan. There were certain models that had been recalled earlier due to fire hazards, but I don't know if this was one of those models or not.

Vladd
Freshman Team

Post by Vladd »

Sad to hear this about a wonderfull place to eat. They served some of the best biscuits and gravy anywhere. Sure hope they rebuild. I am looking forward to stopping there again. Good luck to the owners.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

As I understand it, the plan is to rebuild.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

paper said yesterday--they are waiting for the insurance--so they can start

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

I commented about this on another website right after the fire, and some people didn't like what I had to say, but I'm going to say it again on here.....

One - I hope and pray that their insurance agent did his/her job making sure that the structure was insured to 100% of its reconstruction cost.

Two - That the agent wrote sufficient coverage for their business equipment, to replace all of cooking equipment as well as the remainder of the building's contents, and......

Three - That their policy contained business interruption coverage to cover their lost income during this time of being out of business. If they purchased this coverage, their employees will get some income during the down time.

Now, that out of the way, if I were the Smiths, I'd rebuild outside of Nelsonville, up by the Rocky Boot Warehouse. In less than three years, the bypass will be complete and the volume of traffic driving through Nelsonville will drop by probably 80 to 85%. I don't see the locals providing a sufficient income stream to ensure that the restaurant will survive, once all of the transient customers will no longer be passing through Nelsonville proper.

I wish these folks the best in the rebuild effort and hope that their insurance company settles quickly, and fairly.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The article I read said it would even cover the dishes. I guess the insurance company said the damage was double from what was first reported.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

If you didn't deduct from my prior post that I work in the insurance business, well, I'll come out and say it.

I work in the insurance business and have for the last 30 years..........

Take what was said in the Athens "Mess" with a grain of salt, having coverage for the "dishes", and having adequate coverage to indemnify the Smiths, and their employees, are two completely different things.

News articles like what was in the "Mess" speak in generalities, and my prior post was very specific. I tried to address those items that are going to be facing this family as they try and pick up the pieces.

I truly hope that their entire loss is covered, and that they can rebuild their business with a successful launch, and long term success. Best of luck to them.

Charley Hustle
SEOP

Post by Charley Hustle »

great place to eat

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

bump

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Anybody have an update? They finally started the demolition in June, took a few weeks, and now the empty lot has been sitting there for about three weeks with no activity. Are they rebuilding or not?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Yes, they are rebuilding. I heard it is going to be a "green" restaurant and once built, it will be only the second of its kind in the entire state. Not sure of an exact date they are to start rebuilding, but I think it will be soon.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I will be one of their first

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Yes, they are rebuilding. I heard it is going to be a "green" restaurant and once built, it will be only the second of its kind in the entire state. Not sure of an exact date they are to start rebuilding, but I think it will be soon.
Thanks 96. That tells me they are in no hurry to rebuild, nor is their insurance company. If their insurance company was having to pay business interuption coverage and pay the Coffee Cups employees wages in the interim, there would have been a whole lot more urgency in getting the mess demolished, removed, and the rebuild going. Hope that the former Coffee Cup employees were able to find other work quickly, and are making a living, as they must not be getting a dime from the restaurant's insurance company.

Return to “The Off season”