Hurricane Michael and the Old timer

General Chat
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Hurricane Michael and the Old timer

Post by OHHS old timer »

Well....it's good to be back again! Michael ripped us pretty good but, by the grace of God myself and others lived to tell our stories. The fortress had no damage-still had my adjuster, insurance, and FEMA take a look. Due to my 20 yrs in the USAF, I am a prepper to a certain degree. Ex: a Generac house generator...250 gallons of water...plus other stuff.

Spent 5 days doing search and rescue with state and federal folks. Six of them took residence with me and Winston, my sheppard/lab mix dog. Pls do not ask about what I saw during search/rescue (recovery).

After 10 days...5 hours...and 4 mins without power, my subdivision got it back ( i lost the pool bet by 2 hrs). As always video does not really show what myself and others went through.

I now get one wk off before returning to my normal (?) job working for a civilian contractor...doing my part to keep America safer!

I know I missed out on the survivor pool...oh well...there's always next year. Anyway...just wanted to say hi to eveyone again...I really missed you guys...and gals!

If you have a question about going through a category 4 hurricane...ask away...if I can answer it.

And now....I want to get back into seops!!!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
mattash
Site Admin

Re: Hurricane Michael and the Old timer

Post by mattash »

wow, really sorry you had to go through all that. Get your picks in anyway

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

No can do boss...not fair to others. I can't use weather as an excuse....it's not me.

Appreciate the offer mattash....I'll just try again next yr.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

mattash wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:51 pm wow, really sorry you had to go through all that. Get your picks in anyway
To be honest...myself and many, many others have been expecting the "big one" to rip us a new one for many years now. Especially after the 2004-05 hurricane seasons...just waaaay too many close calls. I am a much stronger person ( mentally...physically...and spiritually).

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Sounds like you were doing a good job. Hope you get many thanks for what you did.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

noreply66 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:26 am Sounds like you were doing a good job. Hope you get many thanks for what you did.
I appreciate your kind words noreply. I volunteered to do search and rescue a few years ago. Not for thanks but, because the sheriff's office needed folks.Basically just did my part to help. And I'll do it again and again until my body says differently...

Flyers58
Freshman Team

Post by Flyers58 »

OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:25 pm Well....it's good to be back again! Michael ripped us pretty good but, by the grace of God myself and others lived to tell our stories. The fortress had no damage-still had my adjuster, insurance, and FEMA take a look. Due to my 20 yrs in the USAF, I am a prepper to a certain degree. Ex: a Generac house generator...250 gallons of water...plus other stuff.

Spent 5 days doing search and rescue with state and federal folks. Six of them took residence with me and Winston, my sheppard/lab mix dog. Pls do not ask about what I saw during search/rescue (recovery).

After 10 days...5 hours...and 4 mins without power, my subdivision got it back ( i lost the pool bet by 2 hrs). As always video does not really show what myself and others went through.

I now get one wk off before returning to my normal (?) job working for a civilian contractor...doing my part to keep America safer!

I know I missed out on the survivor pool...oh well...there's always next year. Anyway...just wanted to say hi to eveyone again...I really missed you guys...and gals!

If you have a question about going through a category 4 hurricane...ask away...if I can answer it.

OHHS........any question you get that u cant answer maybe I can help u out, I also retired from the USAF and was stationed at Keesler in the late 60s when Hurricane Camille visited the Gulf Coast so I can relate to your experience because it was a about as traumatic as one would want......any time I hear the word hurricane I go into hiding..........by the way, hurricane Camille was a category 5 storm......thanks for your service...........

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Flyers58 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:49 am
OHHS old timer wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:25 pm Well....it's good to be back again! Michael ripped us pretty good but, by the grace of God myself and others lived to tell our stories. The fortress had no damage-still had my adjuster, insurance, and FEMA take a look. Due to my 20 yrs in the USAF, I am a prepper to a certain degree. Ex: a Generac house generator...250 gallons of water...plus other stuff.

OHHS........any question you get that u cant answer maybe I can help u out, I also retired from the USAF and was stationed at Keesler in the late 60s when Hurricane Camille visited the Gulf Coast so I can relate to your experience because it was a about as traumatic as one would want......any time I hear the word hurricane I go into hiding..........by the way, hurricane Camille was a category 5 storm......thanks for your service...........
Thank you for your service, flyers58. It really not that I cannot answer....some are kinda personal during search and rescue ( and sadly recovery). As a medic, I'm used to it...am also a survivor of the Ramstein Airshow Disaster. Just some things I really don't want to talk about...just seen morw than my share of death....in many forms...that's all.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Prayers for those who were in the path of that storm and praise for your service.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Omega wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:34 pm Prayers for those who were in the path of that storm and praise for your service.
Thanks Omega....I really appreciate that! We will rebuild this area...better, smarter, stronger! #850STRONG

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

This part of a Jimmy Buffett song really sums things up for me...I kinda put em together

If a hurricane doesn't leave you dead
It will make you strong
Don't try to explain it just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on

He wrote this song post Katrina....it really hits home for me after hurricane Michael.

allamericanironman
All Conference

Post by allamericanironman »

After Michael flooded an already saturated Carolinas. We took action rented a truck loaded it with donations had a whole pallet of water Clothes toiletries foods. I could not imagine myself having nothing and sleeping in a car and worrying how my baby is going to eat. That stuff is real. I even had to miss some football had a family member playing his last game of the year and didn’t get to see it. I am assuming you are from oak hill I wish you the best.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

allamericanironman wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:20 pm After Michael flooded an already saturated Carolinas. We took action rented a truck loaded it with donations had a whole pallet of water Clothes toiletries foods. I could not imagine myself having nothing and sleeping in a car and worrying how my baby is going to eat. That stuff is real. I even had to miss some football had a family member playing his last game of the year and didn’t get to see it. I am assuming you are from oak hill I wish you the best.
Thanks! I am a '77 grad of the old school on the hill. I had no damage to my house. Still spending time helping those who did lose everything. It's extremely sad...so I try to keep my emotions in check. Very hard to do that. Videos that you may have seen doesn't tell the whole story.

Return to “The Off season”