BE AWARE Of Card Skimmers

General Chat
Runner
SEO

BE AWARE Of Card Skimmers

Post by Runner »

I made this post on my facebook page concerning my son and thought I would add it here as well as a WARNING....

PLEASE READ ......BE AWARE......The local news stations are reporting problems with card skimmers at certain gas stations and ATMs. My son just called me and said he was checking his account online and that he had TWO charges from Canal Winchester, Ohio that was placed on his card. Once by only using his card number ...and the other by using his PIN NUMBER as well. He has never been there. He did withdrawal money from our banks ATM at Sunrise Center and has gotten gas twice at the Pleasant Grove Duke & Duchess station (Both places in Zanesville) over the past 4 days. I am NOT saying there is a skimmer in place because it could just a coincidence. My daughter has also had fraudulent charges in the past that has come from the UK.....someplace she has never been and have never ordered from there.
If you must use the card reader at a pump or an ATM.....Give a good hard PULL on the cover where your card gets inserted. If there it a skimmer in place, it will come off since they are only slid on. It only takes a second or two for people to put the skimmers on, so they are not tight. Also check for small cameras on and around the area of the machine. Camera's are used to record your key strokes as you enter your pin numbers as you enter them. Also....check the keypad itself to make sure there has NOT been a fake keypad placed over the top of the original.
Some of the fraudulent charges can also happen when making online purchases. Make sure you use SECURE websites when doing so. Other places skimmers can be is in SELF check at lines at stores. So....play it safe.... GO INSIDE to withdrawal money or to make your purchases if you are using your cards or simply pay with CASH OR CHECK for your purchase at these places! If shopping.....go to a REAL person to make your purchase and avoid the self checkouts.

Watch video.... "How To Spot ATM Skimmer" ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvs67ypiZAg
Last edited by Runner on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: BE AWARE Of Card Skimmers

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Thanks for the heads up/info, Runner.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Heard some stories in the past where restaurant employees will use skimmers to get your cash when they pay your bill.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

cbolt wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:15 pm Heard some stories in the past where restaurant employees will use skimmers to get your cash when they pay your bill.
That is true. These crooks hire the servers that are already employed at restaurants and give them a hand held device and they scan your card as they are walking back to the register with it. NEVER stay at the table and give them your card. Keep the card in your possession and pay your bill on your way out.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Yep read in some police reports they were doing it in an Applebees around here. I just went by that place on Friday night about 6 pm and noticed there was hardly anybody there which was very unusual. Don't know if that was the reason but couldn't have helped!

Return to “The Off season”