Are refs. to sensative?

General Chat
oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

I talked to a good freind of mine tonight who has been a ref for 25 years, he consistantly is voted into playoff games and is one of the best I have ever seen. I asked him if he has ever thrown a fan out he replied that he never has. He has said on occasion he may ask a fan to curve there profanity if he hears it and any kids are around. He told me he does not have time to mess with what fans say because he is too busy calling the game. He says its just all part of it and he takes nothing personally. To me he does it the way it is supposed to be done. IMO

think about it
Freshman Team

Post by think about it »

I can put up with the refs being bad its when they are bad on one side you have 2 be kidding the refs in this area are the worst out of a 20 game season i bet only 4 or 5 games are being called fair its really bad any more i dont know how they get buy with it.

the thinker
smoke93
Waterboy

Post by smoke93 »

Sounds like you need to get your officials permit. Since you know so much on how to do the job!!!!!!!!

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

think about it, old school blue,
To old school blue- Your friend asked a fan to curve their profanity, that should not happen. Let me tell you why. There are people sitting around that person that showed up there to watch a basketball game, maybe with other family members and even their children. If a person is using profanity-THAT PERSON SHALL AND WILL BE REMOVED in games I'm involved!!!!! Do you think that Christians should have to sit there and listen to that language??? NO!!!!
To think about it-4-5 games FAIR??? I have worked varsity basketball for years now!!!! I have never worked a game or with others who have not been FAIR!! This is probably the most ridiculous comment I have read on here.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Well as a coach I can tell you that I have never coached a game where I thought a ref was throwing the game for one team or another. I have only witnessed one controversial call that IMO was wrong and I felt the official did it on purpose to aid another team.

My team recently played in a semi final bball jr high tourney game. I asked the ref one time about a no call on what I thought was a violation and got upset when a player bulled his way to the basket by slamming into the defender with his shoulder and my player was called for blocking. I hollered that was a charge several times and dropped it.

I agree that the players go as the coach goes. I place most of the blame on myself or my team when something happens. As a fan, I do holler at games about calls. Not beligerent or anything, but I have noticed something strange about some refs.

For instance, early in the season one ref called palming 5 times on the home team. I hollered, you dont have to call a seasons worth in one game! This was during a timeout, he looked up in the stands and said that it was a point of emphasis for this year. So I said that give the boys a warning and give them some time to adjust to the new call that they have grown up for years being allowed to get away with it. He said, he didnt make the new rule he was just enforcing it. I said, it isnt a new rule, you guys just decided to start finally enforcing it after 10 plus years of letting them get by with it.

I was surprised this guy was holding a conversation with me during a game. I usually direct my calls towards the opposing coaches, I know alot of them!

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

The other night when Madison Plains played @ Greenfield the refs were doing a decent job. Then in the fourth qtr. a MP fan went down during a timeout and talked to the ref for several minutes. After that, I think the refs called the game differently. IMO, refs should not carry on conversations with fans during a game, no matter who they are.

Also, the refs threw out a MP fan who was sitting half way up the bleachers. I don't know how they heard him from up that far. That is the second time a fan was thrown out at Greenfield this year (the other was against Adena).

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

I heard that in Adams County if a fan gets tossed it is a $ 250.00 fine for disorderly conduct. Again, not saying this is the gospel truth but being that it came from a police officer that I was talking to at a recent game I'd probably believe it.

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

bucknut 23,
Yes, you get a ticket written to you if you are thrown out of a game in Adams County. I have been told that they range from $100-$150. WOW!!! an expensive night @ the ballgame, NOT if you act right!!!!!!

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

Cleveland, I just stated that I spoke to a freind who was an official and he gave me his veiws, I [posted them. I do not feel that my post was ridiculous. And no I do not feel anyone should have to listen to profanity whether they are a christian or not. He just gave me his veiws,"the way he does it" I have not said anything you have said is ridiculous because I respect anyones opinion obviously you do not. If I offended anyone you have my apoligies as this was just an opinion like most posts on here are.IMO

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

I would say by reading these posts, you may have found the answer to your question.

oldschoolblue
Freshman Team

Post by oldschoolblue »

Your right hopper, my question has been answered.

mhs82
Freshman Team

Post by mhs82 »

GoBlue22 wrote:The other night when Madison Plains played @ Greenfield the refs were doing a decent job. Then in the fourth qtr. a MP fan went down during a timeout and talked to the ref for several minutes. After that, I think the refs called the game differently. IMO, refs should not carry on conversations with fans during a game, no matter who they are.

Also, the refs threw out a MP fan who was sitting half way up the bleachers. I don't know how they heard him from up that far. That is the second time a fan was thrown out at Greenfield this year (the other was against Adena).

The fan that was thrown out was the same one that was on the floor. He walked back up into the stands and the school officials and shortly thereafter the police went and got him and threw him out.
Also, the game was not called differently, Van Matre just blew it - is happening a lot last few years. He coaches very differently now than he did 20 years ago.
As for officials, I think they have a very difficult job to do for low pay. I don't think 99.9% of them screw up a call on purpose - they just see it differently, even if they see it wrong.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

some are, some aren't. refs are only human, so there are going to be mistakes.

sportsnut mom
Freshman Team

Post by sportsnut mom »

I will have to say the crew working the SP/ FHS game last Friday had thick skin. They were taunted by both sets of fans-and never acknowledged any comments that I know of. I've always thought if a ref was listening to the crowd he was missing a good game on the floor.

shljunkie
Varsity

Post by shljunkie »

Wow! I can't believe here in the heart of basketball country, we have people saying "it's just a game". Yeah, right! If it was just a game and didn't matter, we wouldn't be on this forum. But, I do agree that most officials do a pretty good job and do the best they can. It's hard to see everything and you're going to miss something occasionally, but there are 3 of them out there so hopefully they're on the same page about who's calling what, who's watching for what etc....That being said, just as with any other job, there are those that aren't very good and you can't tell me that there aren't times an official has it out for a certain team or coach. It happens and it's very frustrating. While it's highly unlikely one call is going to be a game decider, calls that are not called or missed can very much change the tone of a game. That is just how it is and it stinks when it happens.

Brutus8907
All State

Re: Are refs. to sensative?

Post by Brutus8907 »

oldschoolblue wrote:I was at a game in Athens last night and saw a ref have a student fan removed, I have also heard maybe there was a fan or two removed from the Zanesville- Chilli. game. Maybe in both cases it was clear and needed to be done. I think good refs pay no attention to the crowd and shouldnt worry about whether someone thinks they stink or suck or whatever. I would think a few good reasons for throwing out a fan would be if they throw something on the court or use profanity in any way shape or form. If a ref is called homer, or bozo or fat or lazy they have to know that is part of it, maybe not deserved but it will happen. I would hope most refs pay no attention to that crap and pay attention to what is happening on the court. I am in no way critisizing any ref, I just think some are a little less strong skinned than others. And if you are going to do games for long you had better get thick skinned quick.IMO

as a victim of being kicked out of a game under similar circumstances, i agree 100%. last year (my senior year at athens) myself and 3 fellow spectators were removed from the student section during the home Warren game. truth be told, it wasnt any of us that said what got us kicked out, the ref merely assumed it was us becasue we were the only ones still standing in the student section (i doubt all the previous heckling didnt help but c'mon :lol: ). but you know what set the ref off? a student who was not standing made a comment about the ref's shoes...yes you read it right, HIS SHOES :shock:

and it's not like we were without support. after being ejected we had to meet with an administrator and he told us he didnt think what happened was right but he had no control over it and under OHSAA rules we had to sit out the next 2 games and he would do what he had to do to see that said ref didnt work in McAfee Gymnasium again. also, the next day i watched the game on Nelsonville Cable's channel that shows local games and even the commentators said something to the effect of "the refs are just playing around now." it was outrageous. the next home game some of our fellow students dawned "Free (name)" shirts :lol:

Return to “The Off season”