question about refs.

Post Reply
Ukfanatic
Varsity
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:32 pm

question about refs.

Post by Ukfanatic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 am

I know that when a referee ejects a coach they have to file a report. My question is this, is that something which is public record. In other words I am trying to figure out how many coaches a certain ref has ejected in his career. Is that something I can find through OHSAA or somewhere else. Thanks ahead of time for any info.



Jim Ryan
JV Team
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: question about refs.

Post by Jim Ryan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:58 am

Ukfanatic wrote:I know that when a referee ejects a coach they have to file a report. My question is this, is that something which is public record. In other words I am trying to figure out how many coaches a certain ref has ejected in his career. Is that something I can find through OHSAA or somewhere else. Thanks ahead of time for any info.
Now that's an interesting question. If you get an answer on this let me know. There are a few refs in our area that I would like to check on too. They have to be setting some records in this department. Some of them I know of go into games looking for someone to throw out. They even have a point system, and they get bonus points for tossing a coach.



Firebreather
Freshman Team
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: question about refs.

Post by Firebreather » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 pm

I would think you could file a "Freedom of Information" request from OHSAA and maybe get something but it does have a minor cost associated with it (copy fees). You would have to research it yourself though.



User avatar
one Oak
JV Team
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Oak Hill, Ohio

Re: question about refs.

Post by one Oak » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 pm

The OHSAA is a private, non-profit association, not a public agency. So, I don't think they have any obligation to provide documents.



User avatar
wvabuckeye
Waterboy
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: Lubeck, WV

Re: question about refs.

Post by wvabuckeye » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:33 pm

one Oak wrote:The OHSAA is a private, non-profit association, not a public agency. So, I don't think they have any obligation to provide documents.
They have stats about everything associated with officiating. With regards to what they would make public? Your guess is as good as mine. In the 14 years I have been officiating in the SE, I have never heard of anyone keeping a point system for ejecting a coach. Generally speaking, almost all of the officials I know try to avoid having to eject a coach Jim Ryan.


Go Bucks! Go Bengals!
Go Cavs! Go Reds! Go Indians!

Jim Ryan
JV Team
Posts: 258
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: question about refs.

Post by Jim Ryan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:10 pm

wvabuckeye wrote:
one Oak wrote:The OHSAA is a private, non-profit association, not a public agency. So, I don't think they have any obligation to provide documents.
They have stats about everything associated with officiating. With regards to what they would make public? Your guess is as good as mine. In the 14 years I have been officiating in the SE, I have never heard of anyone keeping a point system for ejecting a coach. Generally speaking, almost all of the officials I know try to avoid having to eject a coach Jim Ryan.
Maybe generally speaking, but not all officials avoid it. The ones I was referring to do eject coaches and fans quite frequently, and then boast about doing it. I have heard them talking on phones and in person about their point system. So maybe they are jk'ing, but they do talk about it.



hannancoach
Freshman Team
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: question about refs.

Post by hannancoach » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:50 pm

The mayor of Ashton refs for us and he will ring up any coach who so much as gets up from the bench



Falcon01
All State
Posts: 1382
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:06 am

Re: question about refs.

Post by Falcon01 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:47 am

hannancoach wrote:The mayor of Ashton refs for us and he will ring up any coach who so much as gets up from the bench
What's he do for double posts though? :lol:



User avatar
wvabuckeye
Waterboy
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:18 pm
Location: Lubeck, WV

Re: question about refs.

Post by wvabuckeye » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:14 pm

Jim Ryan wrote:
wvabuckeye wrote:
one Oak wrote:The OHSAA is a private, non-profit association, not a public agency. So, I don't think they have any obligation to provide documents.
They have stats about everything associated with officiating. With regards to what they would make public? Your guess is as good as mine. In the 14 years I have been officiating in the SE, I have never heard of anyone keeping a point system for ejecting a coach. Generally speaking, almost all of the officials I know try to avoid having to eject a coach Jim Ryan.
Maybe generally speaking, but not all officials avoid it. The ones I was referring to do eject coaches and fans quite frequently, and then boast about doing it. I have heard them talking on phones and in person about their point system. So maybe they are jk'ing, but they do talk about it.
Yeah, I would doubt they are being serious. That's a pretty good accusation and if it was true they probably shouldn't be officiating, JMHO


Go Bucks! Go Bengals!
Go Cavs! Go Reds! Go Indians!

Post Reply

Return to “Ask the Ref/Official/Umpire”