Athens County History

General Chat
Brutus8907
All State

Re: Athens county History

Post by Brutus8907 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:The main street in Akron is called Buchtel Avenue and the main street in Buchtel is called Akron Avenue. However, Akron pronounces Buchtel differently then we do in Athens County. Since the town is named after the man from Akron, we actually mispronounce the way it was supposed to have been pronounced. I guess the Appalachian twang changed the way it was pronounced here back in the day, and now few people even realize that we technically are saying it wrong.

wow, how is it supposed to be pronounced? i know i've always heard it pronounced like book-tul

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Brutus8907 wrote:
NYBuckeye96 wrote:The main street in Akron is called Buchtel Avenue and the main street in Buchtel is called Akron Avenue. However, Akron pronounces Buchtel differently then we do in Athens County. Since the town is named after the man from Akron, we actually mispronounce the way it was supposed to have been pronounced. I guess the Appalachian twang changed the way it was pronounced here back in the day, and now few people even realize that we technically are saying it wrong.

wow, how is it supposed to be pronounced? i know i've always heard it pronounced like book-tul

book tul is how we say it.. I think Butch tel is how they pronounce it...

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

mstangmom wrote:you can't talk about Athens without mentioning the history of the ghost stories.

Your right

bulldog21
JV Team

Re: Athens County History

Post by bulldog21 »

Read in a book titled The Varmits: Living With Appalachian Outlaws that originally, the plan was to situate Ohio University in what is now The Plains. However, the surveyors at the time had a few too many drinks, ended up in Athens, and surveyed it instead. Seems appropriate, haha.

Old Buckeye
Riding the Bench

Re: Athens County History

Post by Old Buckeye »

This has been a great thread. I love looking at old photos of Athens and the surrounding communities as well as hearing the stories.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:
Brutus8907 wrote:
book tul is how we say it.. I think Butch tel is how they pronounce it...
I think Akron pronounces it "Buck-tel"

Return to “The Off season”