History of Pike County Ohio

General Chat
eagles73Taylor
SE

History of Pike County Ohio

Post by eagles73Taylor »

http://www.pikechamber.org/history.html

This site has several useful pieces of info, except for how the county seat moved from Piketon to Waverly. They failed to mention the mysterious burning of the courthouse in Piketon the year before the election and how James Emmitt sold the land for 1 dollar! lol

eagles73Taylor
SE

Re: History of Pike County Ohio

Post by eagles73Taylor »

http://www.waverlyinfo.com/page.php?ID=2839

Here is an interesting write up on Morgans raiders in Pike County. McDougal in Jasper just west of Piketon and others cut trees across the route and held off morgan for several hours. They were captured and questioned, McDougal was beligerent and Morgan had him set adrift in a canoe on the Scioto River, then he was shot by a sharpshooter.

I still cannot find where Morgan and his raiders crossed at on the Scioto river, there are some low areas and rapids just south of the brigde at Jasper.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohpcgs/picture ... _grove.htm

Picture and write up of the Lucas Mansion on Pike Hill. Robert Lucas, from Pike County later became governor of Ohio in 1832
Last edited by eagles73Taylor on Thu May 29, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohpcgs/pictures/id226.htm

Picture of Ohios most perfect tree, located off of st rt 335 between Beaver and Stockdale.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohpcgs/MISC/id115.htm

Some famous people from Pike County.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

http://www.usec.com/v2001_02/HTML/Facil ... istory.asp

It irritates me that this plant is called the Portsmouth gaseous diffusion plant. lol

Bigboy52
All State

Post by Bigboy52 »

Portsmouth does like to lay claim to everything doesn't it. Portsmouth Greater Airport (which is in Minford).

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

Robert Lucas was governor of Ohio from 1832 to 1836.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Upon investigating the Medal of Honor winners Samuel Slaven, of Pike County along with one from Scioto and 1 or 2 from Ross Counties were awarded the first ever Medal of Honor for their part in a raid of the south.

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

I believe that Jacob Parrott of Kenton, Ohio was the first to receive the Medal of Honor.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

At Pike lake at the Tall Oak tree at the far end of the lake is tomb of and Unknown soldier. he was severely injured and a family took him in and gave medical attention. but died before he ever regained consciousness.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Has any of you heard about a cave the Morgans Raiders hid some money, or gold in. Its suppose to be in southern Ohio. They say it was never found.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

I believe that is at 7 caves a few miles west of Bainbridge.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

mstangmom wrote
I believe that is at 7 caves a few miles west of Bainbridge

You going to take me there, we will split the loot. Ill bring the metal detecter you bring the shovel.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

7 caves is a park area where you have to pay to get in. BUT I am sure we can take a walk through the woods and wonder up on it.

there is also a story of hidden treasure in Ash cave in the hocking hills (you don't pay to go in that one). It even has a haunting with it.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I dont believe in ghost

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

well then lets go, I could use some extra cash

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

I believe that Jacob Parrott of Kenton, Ohio was the first to receive the Medal of Honor.

You are correct. Not only do I know this from studying Ohio history pretty thoroughly, I have family in Kenton and have seen the Ohio historical marker in Kenton dedicated to Jacob Parrott.

Just FYI, Parrot was a native of Fairfield County, but enlisted in Hardin County, where he returned after the war and later died in Kenton.
Last edited by jumpman on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

eagles73

There was an old cabin between Piketon and Beaver on Germany Rd. that is said to have been used as shelter for a night by Morgan and his raiders. I lived not far from the property and know the owner very well. His family has had the land for many years and would not tear down the cabin knowing its historical significance. Sadly, the cabin finally fell several years ago. He had no choice but to clean up the rubble, as it was very near his home.

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

Medal of Honor website

http://www.medalofhonor.com/JacobParrott.htm

But, after more research, I found that Parrott and Slavens served together on that raid. Parrott received his medal on March 25, 1863, while Slavens received his posthumously on July 28, 1883. Slavens was convicted as a spy in Knoxville and hanged Atlanta by the Confederates, then placed in an unmarked grave (as were the 7 others hanged by the confederates, including Andrews). Eight other soldiers in the raid escaped and safely made it across Union lines. The remaining eight (including Parrott) were returned in prisoner exchange.

Return to “The Off season”