Zanesvile And Muskingum County History

General Chat
Runner
SEO

Zanesvile And Muskingum County History

Post by Runner »

I have went through some books I have here at home and a few websites to come up with the information I have included in this post. NO TEXT has been copied and pasted. The pictures have been found at various websites

Muskingum County, Ohio is located east of Columbus and is divided by Interstate 70 which runs east and west and by Ohio State Route 60 that runs north and south.

Muskingum is an Indian word that means "near the river". The county was established March 1, 1804. It has a land areaof 664.4 square miles. The county seat is Zanesville which was the States capital from 1810 untill 1812.

Image The courthouse at night

Zanesville was founded in 1797, by Ebenezer Zane, who blazed the trail across the state. That trail is part of the National Road (US Route 40). The trail entered the county near New Concord, Ohio. The original trail goes through some pretty rough terrain. It goes through New Concord, Norwich and Zanesville before turning southwest going through Chillicothe and ending in Maysville, Kentucky.

Zanesville claim to fame is the Famous Y Bridge. It is the only Y Bridge that crosses 2 different rivers in the world (the Muskingum and Licking). It was bridge was originally built in 1814. It has been replaced 4 times to this date. In the years 1919, 1932, 1902 and again in 1984.

Image Image This is how the Y-Bridge looks today.

Part of the southwestern corner of the county is popular for the clay that has been used for pottery. The village of Roseville is known as the pottery capital of the world. Pottey from the factories in that town can be found nearly anywhere red clay products are sold.

Earlier I mentioned the Village of Norwich. The most famous claim to fame of that small area is that on August 20, 1935, the first "recorded" fatal traffic accident in the state of Ohio took place on the main road entering the vilage. Christopher Baldwin, a librarian traveling through the area was killed when his stagecoach overturned. There is a plaque in his honor on a post when you first turn onto the road.

Also just outside of Norwich is a museum that is named the "National Road/Zane Grey Museum". Everything inside has something to do with the building of, or traveling across the National Trail as well as items from Muskingum Counties well known western auther Zane Grey.

Muskingum County is the home to several famous people. The most famous is former astronaut and former state Senator John Glenn who is from New Concord. Glenn graduated from what was New Concord High School. The high school is now called John Glenn High School and is located on State Route 83 north of New Concord. As a tribute to John and his wife Anne, John's boyhood home was move from its original location just outside of town, to Main Street and was made into a museum.

Image John Glenn after his 3 orbits aroung the earth in 1961

Image John and Annie during his U.S. Senator years.

Image John before his return trip to space at the age of 77 (1998)

Also from Muskingum County was actress Agnes Moorehead. She was most famous for her role as Endora, in the 60's comedy show "Bewitched". She was from Rix Mills, Ohio which is located on State Route 313. The farm house in which she lived still stands today and is occupied. Across the highway from the farmhouse is where she built her vacation home which she visited many times before her death in 1974.

Image Agnes Moorehead in her "Endora" role.

Actor Richard Basehart was from Zanesville. His most famous role was playing Admiral Harriman Nelson in the very popular 60's science fiction series "Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea".

Image Basehart in his "Admiral Nelson" role

Muskingum County is the home of one of the oldest fairs in the state. Here in 2008, it will be the 162nd Blue Ribbon Fair. The only time the fair did not happen, was during the Civil War era when it was leased to the Ohio Militia. During this time, the fairgrounds was used as a training ground for the troops. It was renamed to "Camp Goddard" during these training years in honor of General C.B. Goddard of the Ohio Militia.
Last edited by Runner on Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Bleachrbum
Freshman Team

Re: Zanesvile And Muskingum County History

Post by Bleachrbum »

There are many connections between Zanesville and Muskingum I'm sure....one great story is in regard to Judge William W. Johnson and his wife, Ella Blocksom. Both were from Muskingum, William studied law in Zanesville and met Ella before moving to Ironton where he expected to make his fortune. William wooed Ella from her love , the Rev. Webster, with her families encouragement . William among other successes became Chief Justice of the Ohio Supreme Court. Webster moved to Chicago and wrote a song about Ella , changing the name to protect the innocent and titled the song "Lorena". The song became one of the most popular Civil War songs with children and ships named in her honor. The Judge, "Lorena" and their children are buried in Ironton at Woodland Cemetery. I think there may be a paddle/steam ship in Zanesville on display by the name "Lorena". (info from Internet searches and Lawrence County Historical Society)

arrowman
Riding the Bench

Re: Zanesvile And Muskingum County History

Post by arrowman »

My Grandmother, a late Perry county native, always referred to the Y Bridge as the eighth wonder of the World. I would argue that Tom's is more spectacular. Neat stuff.

Return to “The Off season”