Fight Over Rock About To Go To Grand Jury

General Chat
Doc Panther
JV Team

Re: Fight Over Rock About To Go To Grand Jury

Post by Doc Panther »

It looks like KY. is about to drop the case.....finally sanity reigns....article from the PD:

http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/pa ... _news_lead

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Doc Panther wrote:Don't politicians have more important things to worry about....say unemployment and the cost of living?

This is friggin ridiculous.

i couldn't agree with you more!!!
a rock is a rock. if it meant so much, they should have gotten it there selves. if it means so most the state of kentucky then why didn't they pay for the retieval of it on there state money. instead of a man and his own money?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I know it's the same rock. What they basing this on is the report done by Squier and Davis when they were in the area mapping the mounds that dotted the Portsmouth area at one time. They were told of a rock that was located in the Ohio River that the locals had dubbed Indian Head Rock and without ever even going to look at it they included it in their report and drew a picture of it looking like an actual Indian Head sticking up out of the water.

Squier and Davis

in "Ancient Monuments of the Mississippi Valley"

(1847) thus described it:

"It consists of a colossal human head cut in outline, upon the

vertical face of a large rock extending into the river. It is al-

ways under water, except when the river is at its very lowest

stages, and is not exposed oftener than once in four or five years.

I tried to find the picture that they made of the rock, but I can't find it. I did however find the map they made of the mounds while doing the survey of Portsmouth.

Doc Panther
JV Team

Post by Doc Panther »

So Burg77 where are the horseshoe mounds (Mound Park) on this map?

Are they in the plotted street map section on the left that says Portsmouth?

The most intriguing part of our Portsmouth earthworks were the ones on the Kentucky side. One author has a tour of Hopewell sites which includes Portsmouth....he doesn't go to the Ky. site since it's privately owned......but he said on the Noory Up All Night radio shows that it's a representation of Atlantis....I know...strange stuff.

I'm kinda into this since I have a ten chapter book almost finished....it's been a just for fun thing but I hope to get it published....not too far out...but one premise I have was that there was a road from Newark to Portsmouth that connected the two greatest Hopewell sites.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Doc, they are in the cluster of mounds right where all the lines come together. They look like two upside down "U's". Did you know that the one existing mound isn't an original? Both of these were destroyed a long time ago and the one was rebuilt, but not on the actual spot it was originally. If I'm not mistaken I think both were located where the school was that once sat across the street from the park and they were destroyed to build the school. I have maps that were put out a few years back that have all of the mounds of the Portsmouth area on them as well as all of the known Indian sites and trails. If you'd like one give me your address and I'll mail one to you.

I have actually stood inside what's left of the Medicine Wheel, which is the large circular enclosure at the bottom right of the map. It is located in a field behind the MarkWest Plant in South Shore and we used to hunt for artifacts back there years ago when they plowed it. There isn't much left of it, but you can still see some of the inside circle. Well, at least you could 20 years ago.

Also, this map doesn't show Tremper Mound located on the West Side where Rt 104 and Rt 73 split. It also doesn't show the mounds that were at the Feurt Site or the ones that were at Hardin Village in Greenup. I don't know why they didn't plot these since they were all very prominent mounds at the time.

Return to “The Off season”