Ohio State Parks

General Chat
caglewis
SEOP

Ohio State Parks

Post by caglewis »

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/parks/tabid/80/Default.aspx
This is a superb website! Check out the "Events" and "What's Going On" areas for all kinds of special events planned at Parks. Also click on the "Find a Park" tab and look at the map showing how "crowded" our SE corner is - many, many State Parks are located in our region, easily a day-trip for most of us.

I think our State Park system is a great value for vacation or weekend getaway.
In the summer you can rent a cabin [which sleeps 6-8 and has a fully equipped kitchen] only by the full week, but in the winter you can rent one for just a weekend. If it is a Park that also has a Lodge, you have full use of the Lodge facilities [swimming pool, game room, etc] if you're in a cabin.
My extended family has had some fun winter get-togethers in cabins at Deer Creek, Shawnee, and [over in the western part of the state] Hueston Woods and Cowan Lake. I took my grandchildren up to a cabin at Pike Lake on Presidents' Day weekend several years ago and we had a blast hiking - not much else to do there in winter, but the kids still loved it.
They frequently have great off-season deals/packages on rates, too.
We are blessed with many State Parks in our beautiful southeastern corner of the State. Check them out!

P.S. Lake Vesuvius here in Lawrence County doesn't show up on this State Parks site because it is in Wayne National Forest and is therefore classified as a Federal rather than a State Park.

Region 15
JV Team

Re: Ohio State Parks

Post by Region 15 »

I went to at State Park once for a vacation (Lake Hope) If I remember correctly, I took a Park sign.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Region 15 wrote:I went to at State Park once for a vacation (Lake Hope) If I remember correctly, I took a Park sign.

:shock: :122246 :122247

jenna's daddy
Waterboy

Post by jenna's daddy »

Shawnee Lodge is the most underrated place to stay in our tri-state. Late fall or early winter stays are excellent, and the dinner in the evening looking out the large windows of the lodge is impressive!! It isn't advertised enough...please...for a two day stay it is alittle pricey...$220 and the meals (3) $120 still worth a weekend to remember

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

I assume Hocking Hills (near Logan) will be having their annual Winter Hike later this month. The hike runs from Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave with a stop halfway at Cedar Falls. They usually have hot beans and cornbread, etc. during the rest break at Cedar Falls.
I have seen the full 90' waterfalls at Ash Cave frozen solid from top to bottom on occasion if the weather has been cold enough.
It's a nice hike and thousands usually attend.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

January 17th 2009 44th annual winter hike
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Outdoor enthusiasts will head into the Hocking Hills this January 17, 2009 hoping for a repeat performance by Mother Nature, who last year delivered some spectacular scenery for the annual Winter Hike. Last January, some 5,600 hikers were treated to the awesome beauty of the sun sparkling on icy waterfalls, and sandstone rock formations covered with newly fallen snow. This year's hikers will hope for the same wintry weather, but will not be disappointed, no matter what the forecast. The rugged beauty of this region is a delight all by itself, and in any season.
http://www.hockinghills.com/featstory/winter_hike.html

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Hey I might go to that!!!!!! :122245 :122245 :122245

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

We've wanted to rent a cabin and have an old fashioned Thanksgiving........Anybody know of a good place?............ :12224

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

abuck76 wrote:We've wanted to rent a cabin and have an old fashioned Thanksgiving........Anybody know of a good place?............ :12224

There are alot of cabins in the Hocking Hills. They have everything you can want all the way down to bare basics. :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:January 17th 2009 44th annual winter hike
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Outdoor enthusiasts will head into the Hocking Hills this January 17, 2009 hoping for a repeat performance by Mother Nature, who last year delivered some spectacular scenery for the annual Winter Hike. Last January, some 5,600 hikers were treated to the awesome beauty of the sun sparkling on icy waterfalls, and sandstone rock formations covered with newly fallen snow. This year's hikers will hope for the same wintry weather, but will not be disappointed, no matter what the forecast. The rugged beauty of this region is a delight all by itself, and in any season.
http://www.hockinghills.com/featstory/winter_hike.html

well kids if you are brave enough it sounds like there will be a good ole cold snowy hike! Good Luck to those that go!!! :122245

kcarth305
JV Team

Post by kcarth305 »

Sounds like a grand ole time......I'm sure you'll have fun..

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

did anyone go to the winter hike sat.? I heard it was a frozen winter wonderland :122245

Plodderman
Waterboy

Post by Plodderman »

I enjoy the State Parks and have hiked in many of them. I hike the eight mile Lake Vesuvius Trail around the lake a couple of times a year and the backpack trail once a summer.

Shawnee State is nice the swimming area is not great but the trails are well kept. They also offer the best backpack hiking in Southern Ohio.

Wayne National Forrest has many hidden trails but not real crazy about all the four wheelers but for them it is a nice place to ride. Scioto Trails has some nice hikes and mushrooms in April and May.

Pike Lake is secluded and has many small trails and Cabins that I have stayed in on occaision.

Ohio has a great park system that is understaffed.

Return to “The Off season”