General Chat
tony181stewart
Riding the Bench

Re: Haunted Places in Southeastern Ohio

Post by tony181stewart »

hammerdown wrote:
tony181stewart wrote:Here is a link for haunted places in lawrence county

http://www.forgottenoh.com/Counties/Law ... ounty.html

The Vesuvius thing is on there with others, also I have heard of people sighting a lady wearing a white dress that is covered in blood by the boat docks :? also heard of people sighting unexplained shadow people.

i didn't see anything about the lake.

http://www.freewebs.com/paratheresa/hau ... esinoh.htm

scroll down the page until you get to lake vesuvius.

TheresaHPIR
Waterboy

Post by TheresaHPIR »

Hey, everyone. Just wanted to stop in and say hi! I'm the Theresa in Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State, but I'm also an investigator with Huntington Paranormal Investigations and Research, which while based in WV, serves most of Ohio and Kentucky as well.

A few haunted hot spots in the southern Ohio area that I haven't seen mentioned are:
Our House Museum-Gallipolis*
Emmitt House-Waverly+
Alpha Portland Cement Factory-Ironton*
Monitor School-Coal Grove*+
Kell(e)y Cemetery-Ironton area+

+ Denotes a place investigated by HPIR
* Denotes a place featured on my website

There are lots of great places throughout the state of Ohio, and even though I'm backlogged on getting entries posted, I'm always looking for tips on new places to feature on my site. And, as always, HPIR is always willing to look at a case, free of charge! We seem to specialize in residentials, but we like to take a break and have some data to share with the public from public places as well! So...if you've got a place you'd like to see researched and featured...or investigated, please drop me a line. Thanks!

Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State:
http://www.freewebs.com/paratheresa

Huntington Paranormal:
http://www.huntingtonparanormal.com

bnd109
Waterboy

Post by bnd109 »

I've heard that a couple of the older houses on South St in Jackson are supposed to be haunted.

I also heard of a house on Main St - I think it is the Edward Jones office now. I guess it used to be a doctor's office years ago and people have seen the doctor (Fitzpatrick?) in the kitchen years after his death.

My grandmother used to live near Coalton and told me that there was once an Indian village between Coalton and Jackson. My uncle was walking home one night past that site and felt someone was following him. When he turned around there was no one there but he could see the shadow of an Indian behind him. He ran and the shadow stayed with him until he reached the edge of the village site and then it stopped and watched him go. Not sure if that was just a story to scare me, but she always swore it was true.

grizzly
Freshman Team

Post by grizzly »

i have been in Woodland several times and the only thing i have seen is a flashing white light close to the Lowery mosilium. when we first saw it we thought it was a reflection from our flashlights. we turned off our lights and we still saw it flashing. my friend walked over to the area to check it out and when he got within 10 ft or so of the place it stopped.

if you want to go to a truly haunted place check out Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum in Weston, WV. my group went there last summer and experienced some weird things. we caught 1 clear voice on our voice recorder. we caught the sound of someone breathing in deeply. we also caught on recorders as well as heard ourselves what sounded like either a long drawn out moan or an old metal door dragging on the concrete floor. no one else was in the area that we heard it in.

Doc Panther
JV Team

Post by Doc Panther »

Moonville isn't that creepy in the daytime.....but I wouldn't want to go there at night. I took some pictures with nothing on them...although some have pictures with figures in or around the tunnel.

The trail up Racoon Creek is sweet.....in fact thay entire Zaleski area is one of the best hiking spots in Ohio. With all the ghost towns and cemetaries I did get creeped out a little the times I've camped on the backpacking trail....great place with remains of old towns and Adena mounds.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Doc Panther wrote:Moonville isn't that creepy in the daytime.....but I wouldn't want to go there at night. I took some pictures with nothing on them...although some have pictures with figures in or around the tunnel.

The trail up Racoon Creek is sweet.....in fact thay entire Zaleski area is one of the best hiking spots in Ohio. With all the ghost towns and cemetaries I did get creeped out a little the times I've camped on the backpacking trail....great place with remains of old towns and Adena mounds.

Not too far north of Moonville is another tunnel, along King rd. That whole area is great to explore. Found many deer sheds, turtle shells, turkey feathers. Im glad I only live a few minutes away.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

wattsup wrote:The Moonville Tunnel in Athens. #2 post on this thread. I sent the guy this email about my experience there.

In around 1982 I was a student at Hocking Technical College. We hung around with a few local guys who kept telling us about the Moonville Tunnel ghost. We finally loaded up the van with 4 guys, 4 girls and the two locals and took a drive down to see it. They first took us to an old grave yard where one of them fell into an open grave. They told us there were people in the area who used the body remains for witchcraft. They then took us out to a place that I think they call the "Devils Pillar" or Devils Table where supposedly animal sacrifices took place. There were blood stains on the rock and at the bottom of the cliff we could see what appeared to be animal carcasses. We finally made it to the Moonville Tunnel around midnight. We walked in what seemed like a mile before we walked over the high trestle. Of course we were all pretty drunk and scared. The guys were playing it cool, but I think the locals did a great job selling the story. As I remember they told us that the tracks on the other side of the tunnel had been built over top an old cemetery and after some heavy rains the tracks had sunken in. The signal man was running thru the tunnel to try and flag down the train but was hit before he got out and was drug thru the tunnel. The train stopped just before it hit the broken tracks. They local boys must have known the train schedule for after we crossed the high trestle and got about half way to the tunnel we heard a train coming up from behind us. The local guy told us we would never make it back across the trestle so we should hunker down at the end of it. Just as we could see the light of the locomotive coming thru the wood someone noticed a blue light entering the tunnel from the far end. It appeared to be swinging back and forth. Now you have to remember that most of these girls and guys were 18 or 19 years old and city kids. The girls started freaking out and two of them jumped up and ran up the embankment to try and run across the trestle away from the tunnel. This would have been a bad idea in broad daylight, without a train coming. Luckily the local boy jumped up on the track and grabbed them. We pulled them back down to the concrete landing at the end of the trestle as the train turned the corner and came into view. The blue light was about half way thru the tunnel at this point, coming towards us. The locomotive engine roared past us just over our heads as we ducked down below and off to the side of the tracks. It sped towards the tunnel and the blue light could be seen for just a little longer before the train blocked the view, as the light was on the other side of the train. The engine was so loud that I didn't realize until after it had passed that all 4 of the girls ( and maybe some of the guys) were screaming at the top of their lungs. It seemed to take forever for the train to pass. When it finally did we again had to restrain the girls from running across the trestle. Instead they talked us into going up the the tunnel and looking inside. No sign of the light or what may have caused it. While this was a great prank and very, very intense, we were probably lucky that no one ran across the trestle in the dark. I always figured one of the two locals with us had slipped away after we crossed the trestle and ran thru the tunnel with the light. One of the two ended up on the other side of the train after it had passed. He said he had ducked down on that side and had been there all along. The other two scenarios are they had a third party waiting, or there was a ghost light running thru the tunnel. Whatever happened that night I will never forget it, and the pictures on your website brought it all back to me in vivid color.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So Funny!!!!!!!!!!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

wattsup wrote:Hey O & B, I see you are in Buchtel. I live there my second year of college. Don't remmber the address, just that it was right on the main road and on the right side. Rental house had a baby grand piano in it. I was in a band and we played are few gigs in Buchtel at a little bar, I think Bob and Betty's. BTW, whatever happen to the cop in Buchtel that we all knew as Buchtel Betty. She was scary.

Buchtel has been through a few cops since then.
I don't know what happened to her though.
Buchtel is a great town you just have to manage that water bill!!!!!!!!!
:122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245 :122245

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

ain't that the truth on that water bill....

Well I lived near moonville was there once in the daytime with my little cousins and uncle but other than that never was there at night... no thank you...

don't forget the ghost at the IRON furnace up the road near the Lake... he's tending the fire.. never saw him but always have looked for him :122245

whodeyAtown21
SEOPS

Post by whodeyAtown21 »

The Buchtel cop now is "383".

I just wouldn't want to go through there going 1 mph over the speed limit!! :lol:

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

the other day the Buchtel cop was sitting in a driveway I saw them ahead of time already was going the speed limit but the ole cruise control set dead level on 35! The next victim coming from Buchtel wasn't so lucky they were a little faster...
wattsup I don't live in Buchtel I live in Nelsonville..they claim us say once a year when they have their hand out for the taxes... :roll:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Space Cowboy wrote:
wattsup wrote:I just remember getting pulled over by Buchtel Betty in 1982 and she was, let's say, a little Butch (which at that time was uncommon). She supposedly had piercings on her "unmentionables" (which also was uncommon for that time) and the whole time she was talking to me I couldn't help but stare at her shirt pocket, which appeared to have a ring in it. I later surmised, that it was part of her piercing. Unbelievably, she let me go with a warning and a smile. Could have been the look of shock on my face. :122246

Maybe she thought you were a sexy beast.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

wattsup wrote:I was quite the stud back in the day! :lol: With my long hair, pimply face and gaped front teeth.

So now tell us the real storey of how you got out of the ticket. :) :)

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Who knows if you asked her out you may have gotten a free pass to speed through town whenever you want.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just kiddin!!!!!!

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

any one know any thing about the witches grave in Burg

TheresaHPIR
Waterboy

Post by TheresaHPIR »

Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State has added a few new entries from Marietta, Ohio. Please check out Haunted Ohio to read about the Lafayette Hotel and the Anchorage (Putnam House).

CANNIBAL
All Conference

Post by CANNIBAL »

on wakefield mound road the two nurses homes that are no longer in use are haunted.

CANNIBAL
All Conference

Post by CANNIBAL »

there is a house in the village of piketon right across from the vfw its white and two story house there is a cellar in the basement and i've heard ppl has died in the cellar. now its haunted.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

The Our House Museum in Gallipolis is home to a couple of ghosties with the mosty.
A former proprietor, Henry Cushing, is said to still roam the premises.
I believe that opera singer Jenny Lind, aka the Swedish Nightengale, has alos been known to roam the halls.

TheresaHPIR
Waterboy

Post by TheresaHPIR »

WitnessProtection wrote:The Our House Museum in Gallipolis is home to a couple of ghosties with the mosty.
A former proprietor, Henry Cushing, is said to still roam the premises.
I believe that opera singer Jenny Lind, aka the Swedish Nightengale, has alos been known to roam the halls.

I've got this one featured on my website, Theresa's Haunted History of the Tri-State:

The Our House Museum was built in 1819 as a tavern by Henry Cushing, and his sister Elizabeth. It is located in Gallipolis, OH. The apparition of Mr. Cushing, wearing short green breeches, has been seen in the kitchen, and also along the back pathway. Phantom footsteps are also often heard.

In the ballroom, which once hosted General Lafayette in May of 1825, has been the site of a woman singing, and chairs scraping, as if a large audience was being seated. The singing ghost is thought to be Jenny Lind, who stopped at Our House in the 1850s during her American tour.

The Cushing family owned and operated Our House until 1865. It was then purchased in 1933 by Dr. and Mrs. Charles E. Holzer, who donated it to the state in 1944 as a memorial to the French families who founded Gallipolis.

The link above has a few pictures, and some further links on the building and Jenny Lind.

Return to “The Off season”