Tar Hollow

General Chat
orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Tar Hollow

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Tar Hollow
Tar Hollow State Park is located between Laurelville and Chillicothe in Southeast Ohio. The park derives its name from the shortleaf pine trees and pitch pine trees that grow throughout the hollow. The sap from the trees was used by the Native Americans to make turpentine and other medicines. When European settlers came to the area. Pine tar was an essential commodity for them as well. They used pine tar for the same purposes as the Native Americans, and also made soap and lubricants for their farm machinery.

In 1796, a surveyor and land developer named Nathaniel Massie laid out a town on the Scioto River, which he called Chillicothe. Chillicothe grew quickly and became a center of politics in the Northwest Territory. Other influential men such as Thomas Worthington and Edward Tiffin also settled in Chillicothe. These three men became involved in territorial politics as members of the Democratic-Republican Party and served in the territorial legislature. Massie commonly opposed the policies of Arthur St. Clair, the territorial governor. When Massie founded the town, farm lots in the area were sold for one or two dollars an acre. Tracts were usually purchased in 100 or 200 acre lots. By 1803, Chillicothe was the capital of Ohio.

In the 1930s, the region was purchased by the government for conservation purposes under a New Deal program called the Ross-Hocking Land Utilization Project. The purpose of the program was to locate families to more productive land, thereby enabling them to better sustain a living. However, most of them purchased more poor land outside the park and continued with their way of life. During the Great Depression, recreation facilities, including the 15-acre Pine Lake and group camp were built by the WPA and NYA programs. In 1939, the Ohio Division of Forestry accepted operational control of the land which was then known as Tar Hollow Forest-Park. When the Ohio Department of Natural Resources was created in 1949, the Division of Parks and Recreation accepted land of several state agencies including the old Division of Forestry. Tar Hollow State Park was developed from the earlier forest. In 1958, Tar Hollow State Park was transferred to the State of Ohio. Today, Tar Hollow is the third largest state forest in Ohio, covering 16,120 acres. The activities available at Tar Hollow include camping, boating, fishing and hunting, picnicking and hiking.

The campgrounds feature 71 electric and 11 non-electric sites. There are 12 walk-in sites and five primitive sites along the backpack trail. The campground is equipped with showers, laundry facilities, pit latrines and a dump station. The campgrounds are located near the Pine Lake beach, and the General Store. Pets are permitted at all sites. Camping is also permitted at the seven picnic shelters, but only with a reservation. Reservations can be made beginning the first Monday in November for the next calendar year. Call Tar Hollow State Park at (740) 887-4818 for more information.

You can boat on the 15-acre Pine Lake with electric motors. The Lake is also idea for canoes and rowboats. The launch ramp is located near the Pine Lake beach. For the fisherman, the lake is populated with bluegill and other panfish. Hunters can take advantage of the squirrel, deer, grouse and turkey when they are in season the adjacent Tar Hollow forest. A valid Ohio hunting or fishing license is required in the Park.

Hikers can explore the Ross Hollow Hiking trail, which provides foot access to the hills of the Hollow. The 21-mile Logan Boy Scout Trail winds through both the park and the forest. A section of the Ohio Buckeye Trail also passes through the park. There is a backpack camp located at the fire town and a horse camp on the forest grounds. At the General Store, the 2-mile Pine Run mountain bike trail starts.

Outside of these activities, the park also features a playground and basketball court. At the General Store, you can play the 18-hole miniature golf course, rent bikes and boats and play in the game room, which includes a ping pong table, air hockey and foosball.

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Re: Tar Hollow

Post by JHS4EVER »

This is a great place to camp!!!!!!! Very nice and clean also.....

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

We used to have our Family reunions at Tar Hollow when I was a kid. I go back every year at least 1 time and take the kids. They have Horse back riding, its a nice trip. The kids talk it about it more than anytyhing we do.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

JUST WATCH OUT FOR THE SNAKES ugh I cringe to even type that word :122247

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

I went to 4-H camp @ Tar Hollow, which was a lot of fun. It included kids from Ross and Hocking counties, so you met a lot of new people. I'm not sure if they still have the camps there. I have a lot of fond memories of hunting at Tar Hollow, it is a very nice state park. I'm suprised ODNR never built a lodge @ tar hollow, like the one @ Deer Creek.

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

I did a summer of work there with the forest service. I am sure I was where the public can't go. It was rugged and rough work, but I loved it. Beautiful park, for sure.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

wildthingRV wrote:I did a summer of work there with the forest service. I am sure I was where the public can't go. It was rugged and rough work, but I loved it. Beautiful park, for sure.

Yes it is beautiful, as are most of the Hocking County parks. You would probably enjoy the woods East and North of Zaleski.

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

We had research plots, there, too. Tar Hollow, at least where we were, was the most rugged (up down) and had recently been burned (we were doing fire research) within that last few years, and the first growth ground cover is always thorny. I always got torn up, but then again I saw some amazing things, like a falcon chasing a dove for about fifteen minutes throught the brush. It was the greatest battle I have ever seen, going on around me . . . find that in an office. You won't. Teaching is fine, but that was the best job I have ever had. I slept well at night and lost about ten pounds in a month from the crashing through the brush. I miss it.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

GoBlue22 wrote:I went to 4-H camp @ Tar Hollow, which was a lot of fun. It included kids from Ross and Hocking counties, so you met a lot of new people. I'm not sure if they still have the camps there. I have a lot of fond memories of hunting at Tar Hollow, it is a very nice state park. I'm suprised ODNR never built a lodge @ tar hollow, like the one @ Deer Creek.

I went to 4-H camp there also, don't remember what ounty went with Pickaway.
they do still have the 4-H camp there, at least I think thats where the neighbor kid goes.
Man that brought back lots of memories makes me want to ride down there and just check it out

Return to “The Off season”