Extinct High Schools in Lawrence County

General Chat
fuzzhead
SEOP

Extinct High Schools in Lawrence County

Post by fuzzhead »

Would anyone happen to know anything about schools such as Blackfork, Windsor Township, Mason-Aid, Decatur, etc? How about info about the places in general? The web seems to be scant of details.

Jason Vorhees
S

Re: The extinct high schools of Lawrence County???

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Your forgetting about Waterloo and the "Wonders." They always produced good teams......Won the state class "B" titles in 34' and 35'......maybe made the Final Four in 1950? Also, Aid-Mason made the Final Four in 1941...

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Nah I didn't forget about them, I've read all about them. I was really hoping that there might be some people on here who might have attended some of these schools and might be able to shed a bit of light on them from personal experience.

earp
S

Post by earp »

As far as I know old Windsor High School is still standing out on Greasy Ridge!It is some kind of auto body shop last count I had!

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

I know that they have some type of monument in Waterloo for the Wonders,pretty cool.I know that this is located in Gallia co. but the old Cadmus grade school is just a few miles up 141 from the old Waterloo school.The last I heard it was some type of community center.I remember going there when I was younger to some Halloween carnivals.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Windsor is still standing on 217. It looks empty.
I know that it was one of a few old rural schools that were consolidated to form Symmes Valley in 1961. I'd just like to know about some of the sports programs out there before the consolidation.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Re: Extinct High Schools in Lawrence County

Post by fuzzhead »

Wow! I figured there'd be a lot of knowledge on here about these places! :lol:

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Blackfork is in northern Lawrence County, just a few miles south of Oak Hill.

Here is some information I found:

What a great story and a great representation of our local Ohio University students and Instructor Dave Lucas. Way to go!
Students tell Blackfork story
May 30, 2008 @ 11:58 PM
By DAVID E. MALLOY
The Herald-Dispatch
IRONTON -- Several Ohio University-Southern students who took home top honors from Ohio University's annual research and creativity expo earlier this month will hold a press conference today to unveil research artifacts and data compiled about the community of Blackfork and the part it played in the Underground Railroad.

Cary Williams of Ironton and Candace Fyffe of Coal Grove, Ohio, were team leaders who represented the work of about 550 undergraduate students participating in the research and creativity expo at the main campus in Athens earlier this month.

A press conference has been set for 10 a.m. Saturday, May 31, in Room 106 of the Dingus building at the Ironton campus.

The two students, both majoring in communication, were project directors during the spring quarter in the Capstone Course of Dave Lucas. The class had students talking to residents in Blackfork, about 27 miles north of Ironton.

"We had no idea that we would discover such dramatic and spellbinding truths," Lucas said Wednesday. "We knew that African Americans had settled there. We heard rumors about Native Americans dwelling there, but we had no idea we would uncover a model for diversity, acceptance and social harmony."

A number of students were involved in the field research, Williams said. Over the past five months as many as 18 students have used a quantitative research method known as folknography on the project by talking to local residents about the oral history of the areas of Blackfork and Poke Patch, also called Polk Patch.

What the students found was an area in northern Lawrence County where African Americans, Native Americans and Euro Americans lived and worked in the 1800s. Runaway slaves trying to get north of the Mason-Dixon line were among the settlers in the community. When the iron, clay and brick industries moved into the area, the multicultural workers in Blackfork worked alongside each other and were paid the same at a time when most other areas of the country separated races and cultures.

"It turned into more that what we bargained for," Fyffe said. "It was a great experience, a good life lesson."

"To run and present this type of research as an undergraduate is just fantastic," Williams said. "It's so different that what you get in a classic classroom setting. That's the point of folknography, to get their story through interviews then write narrative in the present tense."

Lucas called the project "a great milestone in the research we've been doing at the Southern Campus. The students have taken the lead on this. It's their project. Everyone was excited about the results of the expo. It was proud of them. They did a good job."

The students have their own Web site, http://www.blackforkstory.com.

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

You folks might find this site interesting:

http://www.oldohioschools.com/

bilco 2
Freshman Team

Post by bilco 2 »

we played most of those schools in basketball in the 50's at pedro (rockhill) i don't remember any of them having football, until they went together and formed symmes valley. decather-washington and the blackfork school shut down, part went to oakhill and part went to rockhill, depending on where they were located in the county.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Several Kipp's and Hesson's on some of those Windsor teams .

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Can't believe no one has anything about these places.

oneoak
Varsity

Post by oneoak »

Blackfork once had a high school, post office, department store, at least two factories and a movie theatre. The high school had a football team, the Blackfork Bobcats I beleive.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

You are correct about the school nickname being the Bobcats.

Return to “The Off season”