The extinct High Schools of Jackson County, Ohio

General Chat
Army
S

The extinct High Schools of Jackson County, Ohio

Post by Army »

1. Coalton Coal TWP High School closed at the end of the 1963-1964 School year. Their mascot name was the Vikings and the school colors were Blue and Yellow.

There basketall team prior to closing the school I think were members of the SVAC for a few years, with Hannan-Trace, North Gallia, Kyger Creek, Southwestern, Racine Southern-Meigs, Reedsville Eastern-Meigs and I think former Union Furnace H.S. in Hocking County too. :-D

I know they used to play then Richmondale Southeastern-Ross who was the big rival game between the Coalton Vikings and Richmondale SE-Ross Panthers. Beaver and Stockport H.S.'s in Pike County who were ALSO rivals with Coalton. Bloomfield, Scioto TWP, Washington TWP, Wellston and Oakhill HS's in Jackson County, Shade, Albany and Carbonhill H.S.'s in Athens County which is now Albany Alexander H.S. formed in 1967. I know they used to play against all the Vinton County former H.S.'s too. McArthur, Allensville, Zaleski, Vinton Rural, Wilkesville-Wilton and Hamden H.S.'s.

The fourth school to have football in Jackson County was the Coalton Vikings. They started the sport in 1939. On October 13, they played Beaver, in what was also the first game ever for the Pike County team, and Coalton won 48-0. They finished 2-2 that year, beating Beaver twice and losing to The Plains and Rio Grande.

Coalton played for three seasons, then missed from 1942 through 1945 because of World War II. They rekindled the sport in 1946, having their best season ever with a 4-1-1 record, losing to McArthur and tying Blackfork while defeating Blackfork, Rutland and the reserve teams of Jackson and Wellston.

The Coalton Vikings played their final game on November 13, 1953, a loss to Russell, Ky. that ended a winless season of seven games.

Coalton consolidated with Wellston High School starting in the 1964-1965 school year. When I was in Junior High at Wellston, Coalton School went from K-thru-8th grade. I remember picking up their Football Players on the Bus when we were going to play against the Waverly Tigers in a Junior High Football game. I also remember their Junior High Basketball Team defeating our 8th grade basketball team at the Coalton Gym in a close one. The Coalton Gym was really a little one and had a tile floor instead of wooden floor. :-D

Wellston had a Varsity Basketball and Assistant Football Coach when I attended Wellston H.S. by the name of Coach Jenkins who graduated from Coalton H.S. My neighboor who lives beside me in Chillicothe is a 1959 graduate of Coalton H.S.

Coalton was utilized as a 4-5th grade school I think before they finally closed the building a few years back and have since torn down the school. The old Gym was left but the Village has done nothing with it. I believe the gym building is falling down. If anyone has information on the old Vikings Basketball or Football teams please add it to the forum. Thanks!

2. Washington TWP High School served the kids in Washington TWP in the Byer and Ray area. Washington TWP High school consolidated with Wellston City Schools after the 1946-1947 school year. I don't know their school colors or team MOTTO? I think the present Mayor of Wellston graduated from Washington TWP High School? The building is still standing and I believe still owned by Jackson-Vinton Community Action. They closed the Grade School K-6 out at Washington TWP after the 1969-1970 school year. The kids transferred to Coalton Grade and Junior High school in the Wellston City School system beginning in the 1970-1971 school year. Washington TWP School was closed along with Harvey Wells Grade school on the West side of town and South Grade School in the South end of Wellston, due to the opening of Bundy Elementry School starting in the 1970-1971 school year.

3. Bloomfield High School Across from Rt 327. I don't know the School Colors or Mascot name. I know they consolidated with Oak Hill High School. They had a grade school out there until a few years ago when it was finally closed, due to the new elementary school built in Oak Hill. Since then they have torn the old school building down.

4. Scioto TWP High School In the 60's or late 50's they consolidated with Jackson City Schools. I am not to sure what their school colors were or MOTTO. They had a grade school out there until a few years ago when it was finally closed, due to the new elementary schools built in Jackson. Since then they have torn the old school building down.

If anyone has any info on the old Jackson County High Schools, I would love to have any information I can build in my data base.

Thanks Army

Jason Vorhees
S

Re: The extinct High Schools of Jackson County, Ohio

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Bloomfield's mascot was the Falcons and their colors were green and white.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Jason Vorhees wrote:Bloomfield's mascot was the Falcons and their colors were green and white.

Thanks. Wasn't Bloomfield H.S. called Bloomfield....something else? Do you know what year they consoldidated with Oak Hill?

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

I'm thinking mid to late 60's.......i know at one time, the kids living in the township had a choice of going to jackson or oak hill....maybe even wellston in the northern part of the township...

Army
S

Post by Army »

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Army, you are right. Butch Hayburn did graduate from Washington twp school in 46. He grew up out on Number8 pike near Electric Park Rd. He and my dad grew up and ran around togeather, dad grew up on W.2nd near the Broadway intersection.
On a separate subject did you know there used to be an airport in Berlin?

Return to “The Off season”