Closed Schools of Hocking County

General Chat
loganlocos
SEOP

Closed Schools of Hocking County

Post by loganlocos »

Here are the past/closed schools of Hocking County according to my limited research. Feel free to add more if you know it!

All schools consolidated with Logan-Hocking Schools unless noted. All played in the old Hocking County League.

Haydenville High School
Colors: Unknown
Mascot: Unknown

Did not play football. Closed some time in the early-mid '30s I believe.

Ilesboro High School
Mascot: Unknown

Did not play football. Closed very early, maybe '30s or earlier.

Rockbridge High School
Colors: Unkown (possibly Red & Black)
Mascot: Red Raiders

School was later used as Rockbridge Elementary in the Logan-Hocking school district. Now closed with the students attending Chieftain Elementary on Chieftain Drive. Did not play football. Unsure of when they closed, probably during the '50s.

Gibisonville High School
Mascot: Tigers

Carbon Hill High School
Mascot: Bulldogs

Conosolidated in the '60s, is now a part of the Nelsonville-York school district. Did not play football.

South Bloomingville High School
Colors: Red and White
Mascot: Dodgers

Consolidated in the '60s. School was used as South Bloomingville Elementary until recently, now its students attend Hocking Hills Elementary. Did not play football.

Murray City High School
Mascot: Miners

Consolidated in the '60s, is now a part of the Nelsonville-York school district. Played football in its early years.

Laurelville High School
Mascot: Wildcats

Consolidated in the '60s, is now a part of the Logan Elm school district. Played football for all of its existence.

Union Furnace High School / Starr-Washington School District
Mascot: Warriors

Consolidated in the late '60s. Last Hocking County school to consolidate. Used as Union Furnace Elementary until 2005, school has been torn down with a new Union Furnace Elementary built in its place. Never played football.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Closed Schools of Hocking County

Post by noreply66 »

I'm thinking Union Furnace's colors were black and yellow--(Gold)???

Use to go see Union Furnace and Laurelville play in the 60s and it seemed like all the Hocking Country sheriff department would be there.

Great Games////remember the Ungers anyone???

Army
S

Post by Army »

Union Furnance last class I believe was the 1972-1973 school year. I think they used to be members of the SVAC with Kyger Creek, Hannan Trace, North Gallia, Southwestern, Southern Meigs and Eastern Meigs. Former Coalton H.S. I believe was also in that conference until after the 1963-1964 season.

Laurelville I think was in 1971 or 1972. I think they used to play in the Football league with Chauncey, The Plains, Bucthel York, etc.

Check it out.

Wellston used to play Union Furnace in basketball. I remember playing at their gym in junior high.

Union Furnace did not have football.

If memory serves me right Union Furnace's band marched in the Wellston Centinnal Parade in the spring of 1973.

But Laurelville I believe did.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Haydenville's school in past years is Green Elementary which is in its last years with the new one being built beside the Logan Middle school. The old green School will be come the new MRDD-HVI.

yo_yo
Waterboy

Post by yo_yo »

Images of the old high schools in the area are on a giant mural in the new LHS.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

what a neat idea!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Making trips to Carbon Hill for every holiday the first 25 years of my life makes this thread interesting to me! So Carbon Hill is in Hocking Co.....but they go to a Athens Co school?

I always wondered how my 2nd cousin lived near Carbon Hill and played football at NY.

My grandfather played at one of those schools...Murray City I think is the one.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

after the consolidations Carbon Hill came to Nelsonville-York and so did Murray City..

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Carbon Hill and Murray City are both in Ward Township in Hocking County. Nelsonville-York serves both York Township in Athens County and Ward Township in Hocking County. In fact, when you are at the high school, you are almost in Ward Twp, Hocking County.

Return to “The Off season”