North Gallia Sports History

General Chat
Warpig
Freshman Team

Re: North Gallia Sports History

Post by Warpig »

Glouster Trimble v. North Gallia (Football)
1966 8-0 Trimble
1967 18-18
1968 38-18 Trimble
1969 30-6 Trimble
1991 14-7 North Gallia - I believe coached by Gregg Deel?

We also played them in basketball in 91 or 92 and beat them at their place in overtime.
BTW the '92 Tomcat basketball team beat Hannan Trace in the first round of the tournament on their way to the regionals, I THINK I have that game on tape somewhere.

I remember they had a real fast kid in track in 92 I might be completely wrong but does Biddy Peck sound right?

FutureDevil
Waterboy

Post by FutureDevil »

Warpig wrote:Glouster Trimble v. North Gallia (Football)
1966 8-0 Trimble
1967 18-18
1968 38-18 Trimble
1969 30-6 Trimble
1991 14-7 North Gallia - I believe coached by Gregg Deel?

We also played them in basketball in 91 or 92 and beat them at their place in overtime.
BTW the '92 Tomcat basketball team beat Hannan Trace in the first round of the tournament on their way to the regionals, I THINK I have that game on tape somewhere.

I remember they had a real fast kid in track in 92 I might be completely wrong but does Biddy Peck sound right?
Trimble caught HT the year after the 91 team made the regionals. They had no answer for the inside outside of the Gatchel boys (sp) Charles "biddy" Peck was a NG alum, was part of first class of the new River Valley HS

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Peck was very fast, so fast that in 93 he made it to the finals in 100 at the state track meet. His senior year at RV he had kickoff returns of 96 and 97 yards!

Yes the 91 North Gallia football team was coached by Greg Deel.

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

Wow, haven't heard some of these names in a long time. I can remember running around as a bat boy when Casey played pony league for my dad. I was young, but I remember they were a pretty good club.

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

mtswngrvsg wrote:Yes the 91 North Gallia football team was coached by Greg Deel.

Was Dave Angles still on the coaching staff then?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Angles coached at Jackson one year with Blackstone in 88 or 89.......I thought he was still there but maybe not....might have been at Wellston.

He's currently at Peebles and living in Court House

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

Yeah, I bumped into him here a while back at an OSU game and he told me he was at Peebles. He was still at NG when we moved in '90 but wasn't sure how long he stayed.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

FANOSPORTS wrote:North Gallia and Eastern played some good basketball games against each other in the early 70's with Eastern having Howie Caldwell and Dennis Eichinger and North Gallia with Arthur Clark and company. That was back when the sectional titles were won by playing more than one game and the play was more physical and fundamental IMO.
Those were two good basketball teams.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Prayers go out to North Gallia's Darin Smith. His daughter was diagnosed with leukemia. He graduated from North Gallia in 1992 and played for mtswngrvsg. Traci and I are praying for you guys!!!

npeifer
Freshman Team

Post by npeifer »

I attendeed North Gallia from 90-92 then was part of the first graduating class of River Valley High School in 1993.

One of my best memories of NG was of my cousin Keith Eleam scoring 5 Td's in the final home football game at NGHS (3 fumble recoveries for TDs, and Interception return for TD, and a 60 yd TD catch) and being carried off the field after beating Southwestern High. That team had some good ball players with Keith Eleam WR/DB , Greg Glassburn QB, Felipe Beach RB, Stevie George RB, Don Mays TE/DE, Jason Marcum OL/DL and some more......

Also in basketball my sophomore year Chris Tackett averaged 24.5 ppg and our team scored over 100 points in 7 games that season!!!!!!! What has happened to basketball in our area???? BTW that 24.5 scoring average hasn't been topped since in Gallia County. In fact it hasn't been close I don't think? That would've been 1991

The old NGHS building now belongs to The Vinton Baptist Church and the area is now called "The Field of Hope" due to a generous donation of the property from a community member. It is now "asbestos free" and the church is working on turning it into a rehab center and possibly a community center. It couldn't be in the hands of a better group of people I can tell you that.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vinton County played NG in football once..
1982 NG-20 VC-6

3 times in boys basketball..
81/82 VC-72 NG-55
82/83 VC-67 NG-53
VC-59 NG-58

gobluegahs
Waterboy

Post by gobluegahs »

Did NG beat Kyger Creek for the first time in a long time in 1981? jw

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mtswngrvsg wrote:Ha Ha! He should have given you some chin music instead :mrgreen:

There was a lot more to that team than Casey Staton. Darin Smith also went on to play baseball at the next level. The team made it to the District Finals vs. Portsmouth Notre Dame (3-2) which made it to the State tournament. The SVAC had three schools in the District that year; Eastern, Symmes Valley, and North Gallia. Symmes Valley made it to the Regional.

You do love to bring that up!
Ha class with those guys at Rio

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

npeifer wrote:I attendeed North Gallia from 90-92 then was part of the first graduating class of River Valley High School in 1993.

One of my best memories of NG was of my cousin Keith Eleam scoring 5 Td's in the final home football game at NGHS (3 fumble recoveries for TDs, and Interception return for TD, and a 60 yd TD catch) and being carried off the field after beating Southwestern High. That team had some good ball players with Keith Eleam WR/DB , Greg Glassburn QB, Felipe Beach RB, Stevie George RB, Don Mays TE/DE, Jason Marcum OL/DL and some more......

Also in basketball my sophomore year Chris Tackett averaged 24.5 ppg and our team scored over 100 points in 7 games that season!!!!!!! What has happened to basketball in our area???? BTW that 24.5 scoring average hasn't been topped since in Gallia County. In fact it hasn't been close I don't think? That would've been 1991

The old NGHS building now belongs to The Vinton Baptist Church and the area is now called "The Field of Hope" due to a generous donation of the property from a community member. It is now "asbestos free" and the church is working on turning it into a rehab center and possibly a community center. It couldn't be in the hands of a better group of people I can tell you that.
scored over 100 7 times....... how many did they give up?

how r things going for you at sg? lol

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

That might be true but ask Tackett how many times he beat Hannan Trace.....lol

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

thirtytrap wrote: Fri May 01, 2009 8:48 pm Eric Penick, with Hollingshead in front of him were a force. I hope I spelled their names right and if I didn't it is because of the concussion that Hollingshead gave me.
Pennick was a beast running the ball.

Return to “The Off season”