Waterboy

North Gallia Sports History

Post by old school »

LIKE records coaches players etc......

1974Viking
Varsity

Re: North Gallia Sports History

Post by 1974Viking »

what was the last year of the kids that graduated from North Gallia?

Mighty Mighty Devils
All Conference

Post by Mighty Mighty Devils »

I know they had some good kids go thru there they always had good baseball teams I d say the library goin thru old year books would be a great place to start

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

The last class out of North Gallia graduated in 1992.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

In 1992, Jack James led the Pirates to a nice tourney run in baseball. Casey Staton's arm carried them all season. Even though they went on to capture a district title, I dont think they won the SVAC that season. Swngrvsg, what happened? He loves it when I bring this up to him!!!!

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Ha Ha! He should have given you some chin music instead :mrgreen:

There was a lot more to that team than Casey Staton. Darin Smith also went on to play baseball at the next level. The team made it to the District Finals vs. Portsmouth Notre Dame (3-2) which made it to the State tournament. The SVAC had three schools in the District that year; Eastern, Symmes Valley, and North Gallia. Symmes Valley made it to the Regional.

You do love to bring that up!

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Yeah I know. I had a chance to play baseball with casey after high school. He was a warrior. He just grinded it out on the mound. Not only a good pitcher but was a good hitter.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Yes, Casey and a good group of guys made for a very enjoyable year! You enjoy getting me going on that for sure. It is good to get on here and be able to talk without the remarks that have came of late from people.

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

Back in the day, what Conference did the Pirates play in? I had some close friends that played at North Gallia. They were competitive, and scrappy. It is a shame to drive by the School now and see how it has been left to run down. Did the school district sell the property, or what happened? Looks like it could have been made into a rec center for the kids in the area. I think that some of the other schools they played were Kyger Creek, Southwestern that now have been consolidated into River Valley. Was there any other schools that were in Gallia County that have been done away with also. Thanks for any information. Like the last couple of posters said, it is nice to be able to post and ask questions in a civil and mannerly way. The Sports posters can be very rude. They forget the kids are just that, kids in a very adult world. I think more of a kid that helps an opponent up, than one who jumps up and down trying show off. Sportsmanship is sorely lacking a lot these days.

futurebkstar, I read the story of your son Logan. It was one of the best and touching stories I have ever read. I have the utmost respect for you, your wife, and son. God does work in mysterious ways. God Bless You and Your Family, You all are in my Prayers, 1974 Viking :-D :-D :-D as in Vinton County Viking :122245

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

When talking about North Gallia Sports you have to remember the John Blake coached football teams of the 70's and 80's!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

My 7th and 8th (86-87) grade years we scrimmaged @ Noth Gallia in basketball....and we were coached by Gene Layton......didn't he and his brother Randy attend North Gallia?

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

1974Viking, thanks for the remarks about my son. He has changed my life in many of ways. He is doing great in life and in sports. He is an inspiration to everyone at South Gallia. He is in the locker room every chance he gets. He loves those high schoolers!!!!! Thanks again.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Both Laytons were graduates of Southwestern High School

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Where was southwestern?

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Its one of the two schools that make up South Gallia!!!You go through Rio Grande on RT. 325. It is currently Buckeye rural electric!!

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

Oh the old SVAC,brings back a lot of good memories.Might not have been the greatest league in the state but it sure was fun.From an old Eagle fan thanks for the memories. p.s. I don,t think BIGGER IS BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

gobucks31-good post. An interesting fact about the SVAC was that when it went to 8 schools with the previews the money raised from the previews was used to hold a banquet at the end of the school year for all the all-league teams. One other interesting fact was that 4 small scholarships were given out each year to senior athletes from the conference. How many leagues do something like that?

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

NY played the North Gallia Pirates four times in football from '70-'73, winning all four games:

1970 Nelsonville-York (H) 38-0
1971 Nelsonville-York (H) 28-12
1972 Nelsonville-York (A) 37-6
1973 Nelsonville-York (H) 41-0

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

North Gallia and Eastern played some good basketball games against each other in the early 70's with Eastern having Howie Caldwell and Dennis Eichinger and North Gallia with Arthur Clark and company. That was back when the sectional titles were won by playing more than one game and the play was more physical and fundamental IMO.

thirtytrap
Freshman Team

Post by thirtytrap »

Eric Penick, with Hollingshead in front of him were a force. I hope I spelled their names right and if I didn't it is because of the concussion that Hollingshead gave me.

Return to “The Off season”