Gallia County Schools History

General Chat
jottings
SEOPS H

Gallia County Schools History

Post by jottings »

In the 1920s, Gallia County had seven basketball teams--Rio Grande Bluemen, Cadmus Redskins, Centerville Welsmen, Merceville Wildcats, Cheshire Bobcats, Bidwell-Porter Pirates and Vinton Tigers.

In the early years, Cadmus ruled county hardwood action. Later, in the 1940s through the 1960s, it was Rio Grande.

In 1958, the Southern Valley Athleti Conference was formed in the basement of the Gallia County courthouse (on the eve of the huge Elks/Davis-Shuler Store fire on Second Ave., next to the Colony Theatre.)

In the early 1960s, Rio Grande joined the Gallipolis City Schools system.

The county consolidated into four schools--North Gallia (Vinton and Bidwell), Southwestern (Cadmus-Centerville)) Hannan Trace (Mercerville) and Kyger Creek (Cheshire)

North Gallia and Southwestern dominated hardwood action in the early years, then Hannan Trace, while Kyger Creek dominated football play.

Additional teams joined the SVAC in later years--Coalton, Eastern, Southern, Oak Hill, and Symmes Valley to name a few.

In the early 1990s, the county consolidated into River Valley, and a few years later, another county team was added (South Gallia ,from the Hannan Trace district.)

River Valley and South Gallia play most of the girls/boys major sports.

BluFan
Waterboy

Re: Gallia County schools history

Post by BluFan »

You forgot Crown City. I have a photo of the 1927-28, boys basketball team from Crown City High School. The team consisted of Burt Burcham, Pete Collins, Leslie Haskins, Frank Glenn, Harry Brown and Vale Sheets. I also know this was not the only year they had a team because I have another photo from the same time frame that I had a great-uncle on the team. Crown City High School, also had a girls basketball team and somewhere I have a photo of one of those teams because my grandmother was on the team. They had real cute uniforms.

Just a little addition to the history of Gallia County school sports history.

BuckeyeCAV
Varsity

Re: Gallia County Schools History

Post by BuckeyeCAV »

Jottings wrote:In the 1920s, Gallia County had seven basketball teams--Rio Grande Bluemen, Cadmus Redskins, Centerville Welsmen, Merceville Wildcats, Cheshire Bobcats, Bidwell-Porter Pirates and Vinton Tigers.

In the early years, Cadmus ruled county hardwood action. Later, in the 1940s through the 1960s, it was Rio Grande.

In 1958, the Southern Valley Athleti Conference was formed in the basement of the Gallia County courthouse (on the eve of the huge Elks/Davis-Shuler Store fire on Second Ave., next to the Colony Theatre.)

In the early 1960s, Rio Grande joined the Gallipolis City Schools system.

The county consolidated into four schools--North Gallia (Vinton and Bidwell), Southwestern (Cadmus-Centerville)) Hannan Trace (Mercerville) and Kyger Creek (Cheshire)

North Gallia and Southwestern dominated hardwood action in the early years, then Hannan Trace, while Kyger Creek dominated football play.

Additional teams joined the SVAC in later years--Coalton, Eastern, Southern, Oak Hill, and Symmes Valley to name a few.

In the early 1990s, the county consolidated into River Valley, and a few years later, another county team was added (South Gallia ,from the Hannan Trace district.)

River Valley and South Gallia play most of the girls/boys major sports.

Jottings great info!

I noticed Crown City was placed on there, I assume they created the old Hannan Trace School with Mercerville. And is now part of the South Gallia School District.

What about Patriot? Did they have a H.S. too? I know they where part of the old Southwestern School District.

The Coalton Vikings from Jackson County would have only been in the SVAC from 1960 to 1964. Coalton closed after the 1963-1964 school year, consolidating with Wellston High School.

Hey could you find out if Union Furnace High School was in the SVAC for a short period? Union Furnace last year was either 1972 or 1973. The high school was in Hocking County in the village of Union Furnance on the Vinton County line, near New Plymouth Ohio in Vinton County. My mother went to Union Furnace in the 1930's during her grade school years when she lived near New Plymouth. I know a Methodist Pastor of was in the last graduating class at Union Furnace, I want to believe he said 1973 and that they played several SVAC schools in basketball, I also tought he said they played in that league. I think Union Furnace last year was the 1972-1973.

BLITZBURG
Riding the Bench

Post by BLITZBURG »

I miss the good old days of the SVAC.I remember some very intense rivalry's in athletics over the years in the SVAC.The bobcats,wildcats,highlanders,pirates,vikings,tornadoes,eagles and oaks.They all even had cool mascots. :( sad day when gallia county schools consolidated,alot of history.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I wish SVAC would restart their league......

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Wheelersburg played Gallipolis in football in 1939 when both belonged to the Ohio Valley Conference. Gallia won the game between the two but Ironton St. Joseph won the league that year.

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

D Owens wrote: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:20 pm http://www.oldohioschools.com/
Does anybody remember any of the coaches from southwestern in the 60s?

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

Or any of the north gallia teams from the late 80s?

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

I believe john blake was football coach at NG in the 80`s

rc1129
Riding the Bench

Post by rc1129 »

Futurebkstar wrote: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:01 pm I wish SVAC would restart their league......
It's happening, just behind the scenes and no one is talking about it

Return to “The Off season”