History of Coal Grove

General Chat
tony181stewart
Riding the Bench

History of Coal Grove

Post by tony181stewart »

anyone know the founder and the year it was founded and a little history if you know

TheresaHPIR
Waterboy

Re: History of Coal Grove

Post by TheresaHPIR »

tony181stewart wrote:anyone know the founder and the year it was founded and a little history if you know

I have a little bit of history on the Monitor School, but nothing in my files about the history of the town itself, so I'd definitely be interested if anyone has anything to share! I'll also take a look around myself and see what I can come up with.

Anyway, a little bit of info can be found on my site...its at the bottom of the page. We got a chance to investigate the building awhile back. We were considering purchasing the building and basically turning it into our headquarters, and restoring it to open up to the public. The damage just wasn't worth it, unfortunately.

Monitor School:
http://freewebs.com/paratheresa/hauntedplacesinoh.htm

After a little digging, I've found several sources that list Coal Grove as originally being known as Petersburg, and being founded by John Peters, Sr.

Photo and bio from an ebay listing, lol: http://cgi.ebay.com/JOHN-PETERS-SR.,-Pe ... 63002r4336

We offer you this beautiful steel engraving of John Peters Sr., iron master. He was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, on February 18th, 1814. His parents were Henry Peters and Rebecca Wilhelm, both natives of Pennsylvania. Our subject, John Peters, at the age of nineteen, began for himself by learning the molder?s trade at Pine Grove Furnace, Lawrence County, Ohio. Having followed this business for two years he began to manufacture charcoal at Mount Vernon Furnace, a business, which he followed for five years. He then associated with the late J. 0. Willard and leased Buckhorn Furnace, and for two and a half years was manager of that concern. In 1844, he built Greenup Furnace in Greenup County, Kentucky, now called Honeywell Furnace, and after managing the same for one yea, returned to Ohio, and joined John Campbell, Madison Cole, William Clements and J. L. Thompson in erecting Olive Furnace, in the building of which Mr. Peters became superintendent. After its erection he continued active manager of it for about six years. He then moved to Ironton, and became one of a company, consisting of Samuel McConnell, Isaac Peters, John Campbell, W. M. Bowles and Thomas McGovney, to build the Washington Furnace, and the erection of which he superintended. In 1855110 superintended the building of the Monroe Furnace in Jackson County. The company consisted of S. McConnell, Thomas McGovney, Isaac Peters, W. M. Bolles, Professor Mathers, John Campbell and John Peters. The last two owned a controlling interest in this furnace. In 1855 he built the Madison Furnace in the' same county. The owners of this furnace were J. P. Terry of Portsmouth, J. Bentley, M. R. Tuksbarry, F. Duduit, John Campbell and John Peters. He disposed of his interest in Madison in 1867. In 1865 he formed a partnership with his brother, Isaac Peters, and opened a banking house in Ironton under the firm name of J. Peters & Co., and continued this business for three years, when he engaged superintending the building of the Monitor Furnace, owned by Isaac Peters, Joseph Bimpson, F. E. Duduit, William Simington, John Ballard and himself. He afterwards bought, individually, the Lawrence Furnace from Culbertson, Means & Co. This is an old furnace, built in 1834, and, when a young man, our subject had been employed as laborer in it. In addition to these enterprises, he was one of the principal men who laid out the town of Ironton, and built the Iron railroad. Also one of the originators of the old Star Nail Mill, under the firm name of Peters, James & Co.; the establishment being now called the Bellefont Iron Works. Also one of the original owners of the Olive foundry and machine shops, now operated by Lambert Brothers. He likewise laid out the town of Petersburg, four miles above Ironton, and built the Monitor Furnace at that place, the town being named for him. After disposing of the Washington and Monroe furnaces, he purchased three hundred acres of land and laid out an addition to the town of Portland, Jackson County, Ohio. He has been twice married. His first wife was Sarah McDannel, who died August 30th, 1842, having been the mother of four children. His second wife was Mary C. Duduit, whom he married December 23d, 1843. The issue of this union has been six children. Three of the sons are engaged at Lawrence Furnace, George being manager, Charles bookkeeper, and Ptolemy storekeeper. William H. Peters is superintendent of the ore mines at Bartle's Station on the Iron railroad, for Bellefont Iron Works Company. John Peters, Jr., is superintendent of the Car Wheel Iron Company at Petersburg. James F. Peters, the youngest son, is engaged in the insurance business in Ironton. The oldest daughter of our subject, Mary A. Peters, is the wife of Dr. C. H. Spaler of Jamestown, Ohio; and her sister Rebecca, is the wife of the eminent divine and vocalist, Chaplain C. C. McCabe of Chicago; Martha A. married M. S. Bartram, present auditor of Lawrence County, Ohio; and Josephine is wife of A. B. Cole, a lawyer of Chillicothe, Ohio.

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Their are alot of people from Fayette county Pa, that seattle in our area. My Dunham family seattle in Jackson County, as they recieved land for serving in the military.

robycop3
All State

Post by robycop3 »

For anyone interested in how the Coal Grove school got its name "Dawson-Bryant", there are some plaques just inside the HS entrance that tell you. Dawson and Bryant were local boys who were killed in action during WW1.

There are some people surnamed Duduit (pronounced DOO-dooay) in Portsmouth. It never occurred to me when I was there a lot working for Life Ambulance to ask them if they were related to the Peters of Coal Grove.

Return to “The Off season”