Tree stump kills Lawrence County student!

General Chat
drrabbit
All State

Tree stump kills Lawrence County student!

Post by drrabbit »

I will have to pull the article and put in all the accurate details if anyone is interested:

In the fall of 1932 or 33, there was a work crew working on the Ironton-Jackson road (St Rte 93?) one day. And there was a large tree stump that they wanted to get rid of. So they put 20 sticks of dynamite under it. The explosion sent the stump 200 yards and it crashed through the roof of the small school that was there. One student was struck and the roof caved in injurying five others. Two boys had skull fractures and one was expected to die while the other was 'precarious' according to the newspaper. The other four had serious but less life threatening fractures. The boy in precarious condition died while the former boy improved and lived--at least a week--against the dire prediction. The boy that died was 12 years old. The children were all 8-12 years of age that were hurt. Without antibiotics in those days, even a deep bruise or a gash could prove fatal--let alone a serious head injury.

Never give men explosives or at least only give them one stick of dynamite at time. They were obviously trying the old adage that 'if a little is good, more is better.'

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: Tree stump kills student!

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Never give men explosives or at least only give them one stick of dynamite at time. They were obviously trying the old adage that 'if a little is good, more is better.'

I wish I had seen this before, I took BOO fishing. He told me he had a new bait and guarented that he catches fish. The next thing I know is we were riding waves!!!!!

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

But I only use one stick at a time... so I'm good.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Now you I would only give a half a stick at a time! Whole sticks are reserved for those who are named BOOM not BOO.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

drrabbit wrote:Now you I would only give a half a stick at a time! Whole sticks are reserved for those who are named BOOM not BOO.

In the water they just go.... balloopp... depending on how deep the water is.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Thats how he got the nik name BOO. Its short for BOOmer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigOrangeOne
S

Re: Tree stump kills Lawrence County student!

Post by BigOrangeOne »

They shortened it when I came from the old country. (Kentucky).

Return to “The Off season”