Steamboats on the Scioto River

General Chat
eagles73Taylor
SE

Steamboats on the Scioto River

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I recently read a short article in the Pike County New Watchman that had a sketch of the Relief, a Steamboat that operated on the Scioto River. I never knew steamboats traveled the Scioto. I could only find one short blurb on a website about them. I found the name the Piketon Belle which operated only a few short years in the 1860's. Anyone know where I could find more info?

Bigboy52
All State

Re: Steamboats on the Scioto River

Post by Bigboy52 »

Interesting! The Scioto must have been a lot deeper then. I wonder if it traveled down to the Ohio River or not? I couldn't see it getting over the sandbars close to where St. Rt. 348 crosses the Scioto.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

This is the only record I could find on the web, it is a short blurb from the main article. I pasted the articles location below.

"Scioto River Navigation.

Steamboat navigation of the Scioto River was a pet scheme with steamboat men for many years. The record of early years gives no account of any traffic on the river until the winter of 1847-'48. The steamboats built by Kendall & Head, about 1818, came down the Scioto from about the mouth of Brush Creek, but probably they received their boilers, etc., at Portsmouth. The first steamboat, America, went up the river in the winter above mentioned as far as Waverly. It made a prosperous trip and was in the trade during the high water; some three round trips were made. In December, 1848, a small steamer had been built to run up the Scioto, and the experimental trip was made Dec. 12, 1848. She left her moorings and was watched until she was out of sight, by quite a large number of people. She plowed her way gracefully and successfully against the current, and Piketon gave her an ovation. Her name was The Relief. She went up as far as the Feeder Dam, and Salt Creek, and grounded once, but slightly. Then the handsome little steamboat, the John B. Gordon, became the regular Scioto River packet, made regular trips, commencing Feb. 1, 1849, and continued until June. She was owned by the Scioto Valley Steamboat Co., and cost $3,500. Not much more in the steamboat business can be found of record. Railroads and railroad bridges soon put a stop to much further effort, and, although the Scioto is a free highway, her placid bosom has not of late years been disturbed or her waters used for navigation purposes. The last steamer that attempted to do a paying business on the river was a very pretty little craft called the Piketon Belle. She was launched Oct. 26, 1860, and drew only twenty-two inches; was in the trade in 1861, and was built and owned at Piketon. She continued her trips until May 10, 1861. " (Mason, Kay L.)

http://www.usgwarchives.net/oh/history/ ... 4h/ch7.htm

Bigboy52
All State

Post by Bigboy52 »

Thanks for posting the article.

D Owens
Freshman Team

Post by D Owens »

If she only drew 22 inches, she could sail in less than two feet of water.

Return to “The Off season”