auto racing at Portsmouth's Spartan Stadium

General Chat
sprinter14
Varsity

auto racing at Portsmouth's Spartan Stadium

Post by sprinter14 »

I need help from the Portsmouth fans, or anyone with info on Spartan Stadium. Spartan was known as "Portsmouth Municipal Stadium" years ago and hosted auto racing events on the 1/4 mile track around the football field. The track was made of cinder in those days. All I have been able to uncover so far is the news advertisements and the results from the 1937 racing events. Would anyone happen to have photos or know where some photos may exist?? They also raced there in 1938 and 1939 and perhaps even other years. Better yet, does anyone on here remember or know anyone who would remember these races?? The person would have to be 80+ to be able to remember much.

I am restoring an old car that may have raced there. I know the driver of the car I have raced there, but not sure he was driving this particular car.

Thanks for any help.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: auto racing at Portsmouth's Spartan Stadium

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Didn't there used to be a place down around the Bonneyfiddle area that had a lot of old photographs of Portsmouth and the area? If so, you might try down there to see if they have any old pictures of the races at Spartan. I think it was the Carl Ackerman Collection.

Try this link. There are tons of photos on here. I went through some of the galleries and didn't see anything, but I didn't check them all. Good luck.

http://www.portsmouth.lib.oh.us/image

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

Thanks BurgGrad, where is the Bonneyfiddle area?? I'm looking through these collections now.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Bonneyfiddle is down around 2nd and Market Streets in Porstmouth. There used to be a building down there that had all of Carl Ackermans pictures displayed, but I'm not sure if they are still there or not.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

the Ackerman collection ended up at the Southern Ohio Museum and Cultural Center there by the plaza.

Check the link under collections:

http://www.somacc.com/

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Thanks Doc. I wondered if it was still down around Market Street. I always liked looking at those old photos. I'll have to kill two birds with one stone and head to the museum to see the pictures and the Bill Wertz artifacts collection again.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

You are seriously from Scioto County and do not know where Bonyfiddle is???

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Was there races at the fairgrounds in Lucasville as well? For some reason I think I remember seeing races there when I was very young.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

I know this is an old thread now, but I just now saw the replies. And Pol Pot, I am NOT from Scioto County. I live in Ross County. And to 4th n Goal, yes, there was auto racing at the fairgrounds. Nearly every county fairgrounds (or horse track) ran cars at some point because it was a facility that already existed and was an easy money maker as the automobiles became big business. Other Scioto County oval race tracks include: Rushtown, McDermott, Scioto Speedway, Cheek's Speedway, the Old Portsmouth Speedway (at the campground) and of course the 2 current operating tracks - Southern Ohio Speedway and Portsmouth Raceway Park. If anyone knows of any others, let me know!

Return to “The Off season”