John Hunt Morgan's 'Raiders' in SE Ohio

General Chat
fuzzhead
SEOP

John Hunt Morgan's 'Raiders' in SE Ohio

Post by fuzzhead »

Has anyone ever read anything about this Confederate raid into our neck of the woods? It gets overlooked, but I find it pretty interesting. One of the very few times their was fighting on northern soil during the Civil War.

wildthingRV
All Conference

Re: John Hunt Morgan's 'Raiders' in SE Ohio

Post by wildthingRV »

fuzzhead wrote:Has anyone ever read anything about this Confederate raid into our neck of the woods? It gets overlooked, but I find it pretty interesting. One of the very few times their was fighting on northern soil during the Civil War.
Besides, I dunno, Gettysburg, for starters, or Buffington Island in Ohio, Hanover in PA, and about ten more in the upper midwest. More went on up there than they put in the books.

Morgan's guys, though, burned Bidwell, so we named our team after him. Pure brilliance on our part. :cry: It IS an intersting story. Every few years there reenactors who come through. Good times. That guy was ruthless.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

I'm looking up info on the Raiders' travels through Lawrence County that included two hostages taken and later released and one death of another resident who trailed the party and was killed for his efforts.

fuzzhead
SEOP

Post by fuzzhead »

Interesting stuff ChessyFan. I'd be interested to hear more about that. I've never heard any stories of them moving through Lawrence County.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

See 1990 edition of "HISTORY OF LAWRENCE COUNTY OHIO"page 45. (July 1863) One of the hostages ,Thomas Tagg, was a relative of mine.This group of Raiders was not the main body of around 1000, but a splinter group of approximately 41.The other hostage was Thomas Higgins, another local resident of the Sand Fork/Greasy Ridge area.Tagg and Higgins were forced to act as guides to the Ohio River . On the way a Dr. Clarke of Greasy Ridge followed the group and was ambushed and killed by the Raiders.He is believed to be the only resident to die within Lawrence County as the result of enemy action during the Civil War. The hostages were released. Later the 33 of the 41 were captured as they neared the river. Eight attempted to escape by swimming and two of those drowned. I'm not sure where this occured.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

For some reason my school computer is not loading anything properly, but there is a link in the thread on southeastern ohio history thread about the history of Pike county that talks about Morgans travels through Pike county. I tried to open them and put them here, but this crappy computer wont let me.

historyboy
Waterboy

Post by historyboy »

Is this the link you were trying to post: http://www.piketoninfo.com/page.php?ID=6183

Return to “The Off season”