The Front porch.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: The Front porch.

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:44 pm Fuse box. It's not up to code but that's a bunch of baloney anyway. My heating guy told me that awhile back. He said I don't use enough electric in this house to need a breaker box. That's just for people who have a lot of juice hogs in their house like washers and dryers, dishwashers, I don't have any of that and the big stuff I do have like the central a/c, water heater, and stove is on their own dedicated circuits with fuses. Fuse box works the same way as breaker box by sensing too much current and cutting off the circuit. :roll: This house hasn't burned down yet so something must be working. That cat don't claw anyway so I wouldn't have to worry.
Don't know who you heating guy is, but even if a 110 outlet gets too hot, a breaker will kick off before a fire even has a chance to start in your wall. They are designed to kick off quick if a small amount of trouble is happening. Ole Keith Brown is a certified electrician and heard him tell BR, and BJ about that. While a fuse takes too long to blow, then she's too late. So I know there's some truism about it, so it's not all hogwash. Just makes sense if ya think about it. Breaker boxes are set up on different things anyways. from 110 to 220. My furnace and dryer and central air run on the 220 breakers. Most home washers are 110. Mine is. Each breaker in the box is clearly marked what it runs. the 110's say what they run also. So it don't matter, even a 110 wall outlet can malfunction, just as the big 220's can. I kicked my breakers before. All the do is detect overload and stops current before it can cause trouble, where a fuse just blows, but they take too long. But basically that's why breaker boxes are better, because they kick off quick if there's a problem. Don't matter 110 or 220. Wouldn't cost you much to get it up to code and have breakers put in for different things for your whole house. Much safer. When JA got a loan for this house next to me, his bank wanted breakers put in before he moved in. So there's a quite of bit of safety difference about breakers VS the old fuse set ups. Think he had to have new wiring put in too..

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

That's the way my big stuff is. If you go down in my basement you will see the big stuff has their own circuit boxes with their own firecracker fuses away from the main box. Our fuse box will blow right now when something gets too hot, it don't take any time, works just like a breaker box cutting off current when it gets overloaded. I know because I have changed enough of them. That's the best thing about breaker boxes you don't have to keep buying them fuses when one blows. Of course these banks want them up to code, they want you to spend as much money as you can to protect them just like that ripoff flood insurance you have to have. It would cost thousands to get this place up to code. I have already checked. My heating guy knows what he is doing, he one of the best around at what he does. He say as long as I leave it like it is I will never have problems. He told me if I go trying to put higher rated fuses in that the wire gauge won't hold that's where I could run into trouble. Most these electricians feed you a bunch of baloney so they can make more money. I am really lucky I found that guy. He saved me about a thousand dollars hooking my generator up to an outside transfer box to power my whole house about 5 years ago. He also told me that 8750 genny would power my central a/c, a few months before that your heating guy ole SH said ahhh not near enough start up power in that generator . :lol:
Last edited by cbolt on Sun May 06, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Ole SH told me he wasn't in it long enough. He told me he didn't like the idea of him putting in a new gas valve in my furnace. He said I'll probably have to call big ED. :lol: :lol: Ole SH knows other basic furnace stuff to save me money that I don't have though, but he's a Ralston guy now. :lol: :lol: But anyhoo, breakers are designed to be safer then them slow fuses. They work much quicker. With these old house's and the wood that is dryer than a 200 year old news paper, you gotta be careful with anything you do. A wall outlet can malfunction even without over load. I do know that. Many houses have burnt to the ground from it. Breakers are designed to kick off quicker before it gets too hot in your wall.

Generators: If I ever got one to run a whole house when the power goes out, it would be one of those stand by ones that sets there and waits on it's own next to the house and runs on natural gas. Kicks on by itself when the power goes out, and kicks off by itself when the power comes back on. But won't get one living here. Maybe my next home if it ever happens. :roll: Probably be one of those Generac's. They will hook them up right with guys from there company. They look nice too, landscape around them and stuff. No carting out a generator for me every time the electric goes off. I will go big and get it done right and safe the first time if I'm ever fortunate enough one of these days. :( : Probably costly but worth it in the long run. ;) Seems anymore a small breeze or sneeze the power goes out. :lol: :lol:

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Big Ed was one of them going to charge me over a thousand more to hook up my generator. Better dig deep into your pocketbook if you hire him. Also better dig deep if you get one of them stand by gennys. They run in the thousands easy. They are nice but I only paid about 500 for mine. I could get a gas converter for it where I could run natural gas but I would also have to have someone put a pigtail on my line at the meter. Been wanting to do that for many years but never got around to it.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:09 pm Big Ed was one of them going to charge me over a thousand more to hook up my generator. Better dig deep into your pocketbook if you hire him. Also better dig deep if you get one of them stand by gennys. They run in the thousands easy. They are nice but I only paid about 500 for mine. I could get a gas converter for it where I could run natural gas but I would also have to have someone put a pigtail on my line at the meter. Been wanting to do that for many years but never got around to it.
Good idea. Get some kinda stationary cover for it. Those Generac's are expensive but can be set up for your needs. All sizes for any house. Heck I seen some house have two of then. That huge house that sets by that one golf coarse we went to had them I noticed. Can't remember the coarse though. Been a long time. But I thought darn, that guy is ready and has some bucks. Don't know if they was Generac's but there was two stand by generators with landscaping around them next to the house. Theres many brands you can get.
I know I'd have one if I ever get out of here. :roll:

Big Ed. I'll only be getting a new gas valve put it by him if that's the problem. SH can do the basics he said. Still don't know. Talked to SH last week. He said he's going to do some other stuff to see what the problem is. I told him we got all summer, not in no hurry. :lol: :lol: Gotta get it fixed befor November though. That's my latest. Don't want to go no further past that time frame. :shock:
Last edited by TRENCHFOOT on Sun May 06, 2018 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

This confirms what my heating guy said. As long as I don't try to overload the box I am fine.
http://www.startribune.com/buying-a-hou ... 131777603/

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

cbolt wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:25 pm This confirms what my heating guy said. As long as I don't try to overload the box I am fine.
http://www.startribune.com/buying-a-hou ... 131777603/
It also said they are still dangerous in older homes. Bolt I don't trust the old wiring in these older homes that goes along with it. It's a darn if ya don't kinda thing. Your place though, you know what goes on up there on the mountain. :) I have no idea. Just telling ya what I know and was told. I'm just glad I got a breaker box in this 100 plus year old house in a poopy neighborhood. :lol: :lol: Getting out of here when possible. :? Had my feel and enough of it around here. :x

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

That's because dummy people hook too much stuff up in them or put too high a rated fuse for their wiring. I know my limits for my wiring. 60 amp is as high as I can go for my twin 110 poles

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Still they are out dated. I don't trust them along with old wiring as well. You know that old wiring can defect too at anytime.

Grass. Angus mowed inside the fence today. Rain came an hour after. :lol: I said see, that's what happen to me Angus. She just gave me the cow look and said she's not doing it again so I better not get use to it. :lol: Dang stuff. I can't hardly do it with this knee. I gotta do the front and back when we get back Tuesday morning. Hey you got any beer Trenchfoot. Tired of it. Going to spray too, so I will be noticeable for awhile out there. Then rain Thursday coming. Right back up it will come. :roll: Never fails. Might spread berm over all my grass one of these days. :lol: :lol: Then roll it solid. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

YEP I GOT SAME WORRIES NOW. MY GRASS IS SKY HIGH AND I WILL BE VISABLE FOR AWHILE OUT THERE WITH YOU KNOW WHO DRIVING BY. I WAS HOPING TO GET IT DONE EARLIER BEFORE HE USUALLY GOES BY BUT JUST FOUND OUT I HAVE TO BE AT LANCASTER VA FOR EYE APPOINTMENT TOMORROW. THAT WILL BUTCHER THE WHOLE DAY UP. THEN TUESDAY I WILL BE DEAD TIRED FROM TAKING CK UP THERE BEFORE THE CHICKENS GET UP, DON'T KNOW WHAT I'LL DO.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

I'll trade ya DS and some other buggers around here for DM. :lol: :lol: I'll give ya a ring tonight Bolt. Angus just called that Lady up there, the lady said it takes less than an hour Tuesday morning. That's one good thing. I was thinking I might wait and do my grass Wednesday. Mines high too but a couple more days won't hurt it. :lol: :lol: Get back Tuesday and lay back down for a few hours. It won't take long up airewww. But Angus wants to leave here at 6 am to make sure we are there by 7 am. She can't be a minute late that woman said. :shock: It's a group thing, they will start right at 7 am, can't be late.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Little nippy out there this morning

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Not to bad for porch-un right now. Kinda muggy as the day rolls on.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

nice out right now

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Watch the grass grow from the porch today. :cry: :roll: Strong chance of some boomers again today.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Took some dry cat food and fresh water out off the back porch for my cats, and isn't to bad outside early this morning. More rain coming though over the next few days.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

57 this morning. Little cool

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

good morning for coffee