SEOPS Hippo

Re: What's for Supper?

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

ribs and kraut..........

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

No tough steaks here, guys. The cubed steaks were pounded out well, the wife rolls them in flour and cooks them in the skillet, with butter/margarine and as the juices flow adds more flour making a thick gravy which keeps them moist. Add salt and pepper and dig in. Cuts with a fork and melts in your mouth. The mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans and corn are excellent sides for this meal. The wife s an excellent cook and my waistline shows it, lol
Last edited by Paladin on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Have gun, will travel
Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

The secret to good cube steak is to pound out the steaks well, breaking up the tissue, then cooked in a gravy keeps them moist. Cuts with a fork and the juices blending with the cooked flour makes an excellent taste. Leftovers warmed up are even better.

My maternal Grandma, who was French, added butter to hers with the flour. Those were awesome. The wife uses a margarine . I prefer butter but like both. BTW, the wife is German and cooks some outstanding German meals -- kraut, pork, bratwurst, hot German potato salad, Wiener schnitzel , etc.

Have gun, will travel
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

My mom always did that paldi, she would beat the crap out of them things with her little mallet on the counter. She didn't like tough steak either. My dad got a few tough ones at Ponderosa back in the day it made him so mad he stole a couple of their steak knives :lol:

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

I was just a kid when Ponderosa opened up steak houses in this country. First few years weren't bad and then it went to crap. Nothing is good there. The Texas Roadhouse chain is decent. But you can't find cubed steak anywhere in restaurants. That's a home cooked meal.

Have gun, will travel
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

Not very many of them Ponderosas left anymore. The one in Athens closed about 5 years ago and it was the best one I have been too, steaks were always good there. The only ones left that I know of are Gallia,Jackson and I think one or two up around Columbus. My favorite steakhouse of all is York in West Columbus, used to be a chain of them like Pondersosa but the one on W. Broad is the only one left. Yep that cubed steak is hard to find, about the closest thing is the chopped steak and that's about like hamburger. Paldi you ever been up at that Sokalowskis University Inn up in Tremont? I hear they got some killer salisbury steak.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Never been there, but highly recommend the Flat Iron Cafe on the West Bank in downtown Cleveland. Everything is juicy there. Especially the oversized burgers and home cut fries with the skins still on. Awesome ! There several Longhorn Steakhouses in the Cleveland area and for a chain, they do some good steaks.

Salisbury steaks are common as is Swiss steaks. Lots of restaurants can do those. For a good cut of steak, there are a number of good restaurants in NEO. A chain that was my all time favorite was the old Brown Derby restaurants, but they went to bankruptcy. A few came back out under the same name but added Roadhouse to their name. Only a handful left. Great salads, homemade breads and great steaks. If you got the money, a Ruth Chris steakhouse is top shelf .

Have gun, will travel
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

All your dinners sound good Paladin. Good stuff. I like Salisbury steak. Jack steakhouse at onetime had a steak Sammie, that could almost pass for a Salisbury steak sammie. Had the gravy and all on it. Had that Salisbury taste to it and was good sized. Use to get one about every Thursday night, back in the day. Tasted great with a couple cold bottled Budweiser's.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Boy, haven't been to Jacks in awhile. Good food but it dropped off some since the change in ownership some years back. I'm somewhat spoiled, Trench, as I lived on an expense account after leaving teaching/coaching. Had a long career where I always ate well on the road, coast to coast. This area , plus Cleveland and Pittsburgh, only an hour away, has some great spots.

The wife buys some frozen Salibury steaks with a gravy at the store that are pretty good, but don't recall the brand. And don't think I had them at Jacks. They used to have good strip steaks as well as Fish Tails that were pretty good.

Tonite is some home made chili. Made up already, it's yummy. Two + pounds of ground chuck cooked in skillet with 1 large chopped onion, drained off, then thrown into a pot of large can of tomato juice, 2 cans of diced tomatoes , 3 cans of chili beans, cumin, chili powder , ground red pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Sprinkle a bowlful with some grated cheese and some raw chopped onion. Wash down with a beer. A comfort meal tonite,lol.

Have gun, will travel
cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

You're right paldi jacks has really dropped off. I got a steak there awhile back that didn't have the grilled taste I like. Taste like they just threw it in a pan with no flavoring. My brother went there one night when the fair board was there and he said the steak was awesome, then the next time they went it sucked he said lol. They must have got top of the line stuff for the bigwigs :lol:

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Paladin wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:37 pm Boy, haven't been to Jacks in awhile. Good food but it dropped off some since the change in ownership some years back. I'm somewhat spoiled, Trench, as I lived on an expense account after leaving teaching/coaching. Had a long career where I always ate well on the road, coast to coast. This area , plus Cleveland and Pittsburgh, only an hour away, has some great spots.

The wife buys some frozen Salibury steaks with a gravy at the store that are pretty good, but don't recall the brand. And don't think I had them at Jacks. They used to have good strip steaks as well as Fish Tails that were pretty good.

Tonite is some home made chili. Made up already, it's yummy. Two + pounds of ground chuck cooked in skillet with 1 large chopped onion, drained off, then thrown into a pot of large can of tomato juice, 2 cans of diced tomatoes , 3 cans of chili beans, cumin, chili powder , ground red pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Sprinkle a bowlful with some grated cheese and some raw chopped onion. Wash down with a beer. A comfort meal tonite,lol.
Sounds good, I can eat some chili once in awhile, but the heartburn gets me. Last chili I had was from Wendy's, pretty good I thought. When I got those steak sammies back in the day at Jacks, it was years ago when he still was the owner. He was like a bank as well, and cash peoples checks at the end of the bar that worked at local plants in the area. Bolt, don't know about Jack's now since he's not there anymore running it. If I go in there anymore it's just for a quick beer, but that's few and far between and been awhile also. I don't drink all that much anymore or go out for a wee nip like I use to. :)

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

A couple aspirin.

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Went out for dinner to El Torero, a Mexican restaurant. Had an old favorite -- Burritos Torero. That's two steak burritos covered in a white melted cheese and guacamole on top with beans and rice on the side. Served with chips, salsa and Mexican cole slaw

Have gun, will travel
BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Scioto Ribber...........Birthday Party

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

Cubed steak, mashed potato and gravy, green beans and leftover DQ ice cream cake.

Have gun, will travel
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Sounds delicious Paladin, as long your cube steak will still be tender. :) My Mom fixes them like yours, but my wife is out in left field with cubed steaks. :lol: :lol: :lol: Like biting into a baseball glove. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paladin
SEOP

Post by Paladin »

That doesn't sound appetitizing,lol

Poor Trench

Have gun, will travel
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Could be worse I guess. :lol: :lol: