Spring Turkey Season

Bassmaster
S

Spring Turkey Season

Post by Bassmaster »

Are there any turkey hunters out there :?: Opening day is April 21st and is approaching fast :!: ;-)

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Re: Spring Turkey Season

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

Yeah I sure am and I cant wait! When I think of spring all that comes to mind is going turkey hunting and fishing :!: Theres never a dull moment during the day when that time of year roles around :lol:

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Has anyone ever had trouble calling a gobbler in because the hens kept dragging him away from you? Well I had that happen to me last year and then I got out the Gobble call and hit it a couple times and he came right in looking for a fight! That was the end of that chapter :lol:

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

Last year was my first season turkey hunting but I hunted with a couple of seasoned veterans and caught on pretty quick. I did my homework and still do in trying to learn more about the bird. We had that happen to us a couple times last year where gobblers were henned up and wouldn't come to us. They would answer but not pull away. I don't use a gobble call and the guy I hunt with doesn't either. That is a good idea though especially if it works. I have seen that done on a few hunting shows but they stress being careful with the gobble call especially if other hunters are in the area. :122246

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Yeah I have heard that too ;-) Ive only done it once so far and that was after 4 hours of that group of turkeys evading me and running me back and forth across the hills. I had to try something before i passed out :lol:

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

Do you use decoys and if so what is your set up :?: We use one or two hens most of the time. I have been looking at full strut gobbler decoys.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

No I dont, I just get to where I am at the crest of a hill so he thinks he justs cant see them yet. I have used them before but I usually walk to much so I dont like having the extra stuff to pack around. But I just saw this set up on the hunting channel that seemed to work pretty well. He just set the hen on the ground without any legs and mounted the tom or jake right on top of it. That is how they position them selves when they breed. It also said that they will let them breed them times in a day, wow that would wear me out :lol:

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I have seen that set up used on more than one show. Them ole toms don't like another gobbler moving in on them :!: :lol:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Bigdowgg and I seen some very large turkeys just north of Minford in a field the other day.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

It's been keeping me busy trying to get ready for turkey season and bass fishing. I am going to try to get out to Barkley Lake in Kentucky at the end of this month to bass fish with my brother.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

I proposed a learning seminar on the predator site a while ago. How about some of the veterans sharing their knowledge on turkeys in a little get together somewhere for the newbie and intermediate folks? We could all share stories on turkey, coyotes, deer, squirrels and anything else you want to lie about. :lol: :lol:

Any volunteers or any folks interested?

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

BigOrangeOne wrote:I proposed a learning seminar on the predator site a while ago. How about some of the veterans sharing their knowledge on turkeys in a little get together somewhere for the newbie and intermediate folks? We could all share stories on turkey, coyotes, deer, squirrels and anything else you want to lie about. :lol: :lol:

Any volunteers or any folks interested?

My stories havent aged enough to compete with all of your guy's tall tails i wouldnt think
:lol:

I plan on video taping a few pretty soon so I can actually stay closer to what really happened :lol:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I tried to video my sons first deer hunt, but our Video recorder wasnt very good. I have a new one for this year and im going to get the whole hunt with a bow kill on a deer unless he misses. His first buck was a nice 9 point, the tenth point was broken off.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Thats him 11 years old with his first deer.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

I was bow hunting this year and I had to little 7 point bucks fight for about an hour 30 yards from me and I was just setting on the ground recording video of it on my phone. Its not that good of quality but you can still tell its of a couple bucks fighting.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Im going out this year for the first time in my life , Ive never really wanted to hunt Turkey before but my cousin has been on me the last few years to go out , So Im trying it this year.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I went last year for the first time and now I'm hooked. We run and gun and I lost 12 pounds the first two weeks of the season. It's very addicting :!:

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Bassmaster wrote:I went last year for the first time and now I'm hooked. We run and gun and I lost 12 pounds the first two weeks of the season. It's very addicting :!:

Thats exactly how I do it, I drive around the ridges and call until I get one to gobble. Then I jsut go and set up on it and see if I can call it in.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”