Exotic Fishing Lines Compared to Mono

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Exotic Fishing Lines Compared to Mono

Post by kantuckyII »

Anyone use any of the replacement lines for Mono and what do you think of them? I've always stuck with mono although I did have a brief flirtation with Spider Wire back in the early 90's or so. I had one guy tell me he also uses a new triangle shaped mono and he swears by it.

How about it? any worm fishermen who use different lines..you feel more bites? better hook sets?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: Exotic Fishing Lines Compared to Mono

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Not for me I stick with Mono.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Have you tried any of them others though? I have been seriously considering trying them for my worm rods. I usually use 17 lb Trilene and I LIKE it when the line is soaked..I like it to lay flat out with a deep bow in it. TO me, I can feel a pick up a lot better and the heavy line gives me less stretch.

On my crankbait rods I like that Bass Pro Shop Mono though, can't beat it for that..that extra stretch it has helps me get more good solid hook sets but that is same reason I wouldn't use it on my worm rods

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I tried the Spider wire lines and didnt like it, When I was in Germany they had a line that was awesome but I cant seem to find it no where.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I wasn't crazy about the Spider Wire either. If you got hung up..there no breaking it!

When I was a kid in Jr High..someone gave me an old Pflueger baitcaster and one of those old rods made out of steel that was five sided. They were pretty common back in the 50's I guess..don't know where I got that old thing at though but anyway..I had it rigged with old braided line and we'd go over to river to catch catfish and carp and I tell you what..I seldom ever missed a hook set with that outfit! hard to believe how different it was with a fiberglass rod and mono line.

I remember the old man when I was a boy stretching his cat gut ( braided line) out back and forth and back and forth in the yard..he said it was to dry it, I don't know why though.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

I like the Fireline brand line , I use 30 lbs. on my catfish rods and and 14 on my bass rods, but like mentioned above you get hung up theres no breaking it. On my crappie rods I still go with the good ole Mono fishing line , usually the Vanish brand and about 6-8 lbs test , just depends on where im fishing.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

find some braid you are comfortable with and stick with it, you will learn to love it. It it sooo much better than mono. The feel , the hook sets. Its way better. MD

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I use Bass Pro Shops line and have for years. I have heard a lot of good things about the briaded line and may try it.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I was reading about the new braided line they are offering at BPS now as well. I'm goin' try some of it the next time I'm there. In the mean time, I think I'll try Fireline on my worm rod. I read a lot of good things about it.

I noted on BPS website, Excel (their brand) got very high ratings from a lot of people. Some might contend they police the ratings but..I don't think that's the case, it's just awesome line and the price is great. As I said earlier, don't like it on worm rods though...too stretchy

I noted also that Trilene XL got a perfect 5 star rating on BSP's site. I know I have used it for over 30 years now. Great line. I used to use before that (and man, this is getting way into the past here - before many of you were born even) Garcia Royal Bonnyl (the original)

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I used the Trilene XL for years and then tried the Excel. I stayed with the Excel for the quality and the price.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

yeah...Excel for me too..cept on them worm rods...

love it in the Ohio River when I'm sauger and white bass fishing..get hung up and break off? no problem...the line is so inexpensive

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

For salmon/steelhead out here I use a lamiglass steelhead special 8'6" crank an Abu Garcia 6500 3c and use 17 lb trilene line. Have caught up to 45 pound kings on it and has feel enough for worm fishin small trout. I tried that braided stuff but didn't like it.

sportsmr
Freshman Team

Post by sportsmr »

I like PLine Florocarbon.

dish it
Riding the Bench

Post by dish it »

if your going after the big cats def. braided! in the rivers the best places are near the old dams and lock walls and they will run you back and forth across the concrete and with mono it'll just break. but for bait pole i like mono so when you change the bait its not such a hassel.

Jester
Waterboy

Post by Jester »

I have used Fireline 10 lb. test/ 4 lb. diameter line on my spinning reels since it was introduced years ago. I swear by it.

For my baitcasters, I usually use a first generation braid, preferably Spiderwire. It seems to cast better on baitcasters than the second generation "fused" lines like Fireline.

My all-time favorite line was the golden Berkley Trimax. I believe it was discontinued a few years ago. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a few spools of that.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i've always used trilene, but i also like suffix seige. really tough stuff. shaw grigsby, thats all he uses. they say the red cajun line literally disappears in two feet of water. i may try some this spring, when i respool. :aaaaa46

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Jester wrote:I have used Fireline 10 lb. test/ 4 lb. diameter line on my spinning reels since it was introduced years ago. I swear by it.

For my baitcasters, I usually use a first generation braid, preferably Spiderwire. It seems to cast better on baitcasters than the second generation "fused" lines like Fireline.

My all-time favorite line was the golden Berkley Trimax. I believe it was discontinued a few years ago. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a few spools of that.

Jester, will you get those 'spinning reel bird's nest' with it? I might check that out now

Jester
Waterboy

Post by Jester »

kantucky, I have never had a problem. A lot of people overfill their spinning reels with line, which causes the "birds nest" problem. As for me, I have never had a birds nest, or any problem for that matter, with Fireline since I started using it.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

kantuckyII wrote:I wasn't crazy about the Spider Wire either. If you got hung up..there no breaking it!

When I was a kid in Jr High..someone gave me an old Pflueger baitcaster and one of those old rods made out of steel that was five sided. They were pretty common back in the 50's I guess..don't know where I got that old thing at though but anyway..I had it rigged with old braided line and we'd go over to river to catch catfish and carp and I tell you what..I seldom ever missed a hook set with that outfit! hard to believe how different it was with a fiberglass rod and mono line.

I remember the old man when I was a boy stretching his cat gut ( braided line) out back and forth and back and forth in the yard..he said it was to dry it, I don't know why though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- AND YOU MADE FUN OF US THAT LIKE TO SOMETIMES BOTTOM FISH. YOU'RE A CARPER TOO. KAN'T WAIT TO TELL, DADDY TURKEY. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I STILL LOVE BERKELY TRILENE THE BEST. CATCH A STATE RECORD USING TRILENE. 100,000 BUCKS. WORLD RECORD 1,000,000 BUCKS. ----------------- NUFF SAID. SOMEBODY HAS TO DO IT. :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246 :122246

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”