Everyone Ready for Bow Season???

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: Everyone Ready for Bow Season???

Post by BigBlueNation »

Me and my son hunted sat. evening out to the farm didn't see anything but in my 20 some years of bowhunting I have never been ate up by mosqitoes like we did yesterday evening it was awful they don't bother me that bad catfishing at night in the middle of the summer up in the scioto river.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

luvbigcats wrote:Me and my son hunted sat. evening out to the farm didn't see anything but in my 20 some years of bowhunting I have never been ate up by mosqitoes like we did yesterday evening it was awful they don't bother me that bad catfishing at night in the middle of the summer up in the scioto river.

Spend $20 and buy a Thermacell. Spend an extra $10 and buy the refill kit. When you leave the truck and head to the stand, turn it on. It takes 5-10 minutes to start giving out the scent. You wont have any insects around you. I wouldnt even think about getting in the woods right now without it.

I went out this weekend and even though I took mine with me, I didnt turn it on until I got in the stand. It was a long 10 minutes till it started working. Never seen so many skeeters.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Bleeding Red wrote:
luvbigcats wrote:Me and my son hunted sat. evening out to the farm didn't see anything but in my 20 some years of bowhunting I have never been ate up by mosqitoes like we did yesterday evening it was awful they don't bother me that bad catfishing at night in the middle of the summer up in the scioto river.

Spend $20 and buy a Thermacell. Spend an extra $10 and buy the refill kit. When you leave the truck and head to the stand, turn it on. It takes 5-10 minutes to start giving out the scent. You wont have any insects around you. I wouldnt even think about getting in the woods right now without it.

I went out this weekend and even though I took mine with me, I didnt turn it on until I got in the stand. It was a long 10 minutes till it started working. Never seen so many skeeters.
Thought about it but was not for sure if they were any good will have to go buy one thanks for the info.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Once you get one, early season bowhunting will never be the same without it. I was leery at first but was sold after the first use. Just make sure you start it up 10 minutes or so before you need it.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

I will back up the thermocell claim! LOVE these things!! I also use them for Catfishing makes it alot easier to stay in the woods or on the water

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Hunted yesterday evening seen a few, with the wind blowing like it was and the acorns falling it sure was noisey, glad my stands not in one of those oak trees would probably need to wear a hard hat.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I am starting to see scrapes everywhere. Still not a large amount of rubs but I think they will be there by next week. Also starting to get good bucks on cemera and they are running solo. Had a good 10 pt actually bumping does in their bedding area earlier this week at dusk. We just need the weather to cooperate!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Looks like we are going to have some better weather next week, think some days highs in the 50's lows in the 30's. The last 3 days I have been scouting and hanging some more stands and every day I have seen deer feeding in the acorns anywhere from 12:30 to 2:00 in the afternoon seen a really nice heavy beamed 8 tues at 11:55. Was moving my sons ladder stand this afternoon got in a little rain storm got soaked that was alot of fun.

Ovcman
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovcman »

Man, there sure has been alot of wind this year. I absolutely cannot stand hunting in the wind!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Huge gusts of wind last night. I felt like I was riding a mechanical bull in the treestand. Colder weather is on the way, it will get better.

coyote26
Riding the Bench

Post by coyote26 »

Anyone else seen this? The article seems to indicate it was killed in the Columbus area.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whi ... nster-buck

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

coyote26 wrote:Anyone else seen this? The article seems to indicate it was killed in the Columbus area.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whi ... nster-buck
I saw it on Archery Talk. I think he should have given it another year! ;-)

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”