Fall Fishing Trip - This Fall?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Fall Fishing Trip - This Fall?

Post by kantuckyII »

Anyone else got one planned? I wasn't going but now I think I am going to be able to. I'm looking at maybe Kentucky Lake down around or in Tennessee later this morning. Perhaps a 10 day trip or more..heck, I might not never come home! :lol: Gasoline (and it's raised again today, yikes!) and food would be my main concern...oh...and campground fees! yikes again!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Fall Fishing Trip - This Fall?

Post by biggdowgg »

ten days would mean , you will miss a football game, and we all know you wont miss "YOUR" tigers on friday.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Well, actually, to be at Kentucky Lake in late October? uh, yeah, I would but don't you worry, I won't be missing.....

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

If I get away this fall, which is doubtful, I would either go to Lake Guntersville this month or go to Lake St Clair and see how good the smallies actually hit in the fall. It is supposed to have a good fall bite, I have yet to try it. For some reason I dont think it could match up to the hundreds a day we catch during spring up there.

And they say that Guntersville is really hard to fish until mid to late fall. Main reason is the grass is still really thick, shallow lake, too many places for the largemouth to hide.

Douglas is always a good choice, depending on how much night fishing you want to do.

I always wanted to hit Cherokee Lake in TN. It is an amazing looking lake, dont know how the fishing is. Norris Lake has great smallmouth fishing too in the fall. It is only 4 hours or so to get there.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Too funny! I've threatened a trip to Cherokee for over 25 years after a guy whom I sold chemicals too in Pikeville told me about it then. I've seen the exit sign many times but never made it over there. So, I, too am another who have meant to but never did.

Douglas? been there several times, it can be a nightmare to navigate in the late fall I've been told as they drop the bottom out of the lake. I got so mad the last time I was there I just left after a couple days and went to Dale Hollow. I was staying in the campground, sleeping in the back of my truck. The campground by the dam (it was pretty late in the fall, many ramps are closed then) has a ramp about 1/4 a mile away from where I was sleeping. I wake up, drive down there, launch my boat, come back and someone is in my camp spot. I call and they say that in order to hold my place, I must have something sitting on it at all times. I failed to bring a tent with me then (I usually set up a tent and sleep in my truck...put my crap in the tent, sleep in the truck, cooler in summer, warmer in cool weather and FAR MORE QUIET!) so I had nothing to occupy my spot and aint' able to walk up a steep hill like that

Have a friend who's fished Guntersville a couple times around Thanksgiving, he says that's his favorite time to be there but he tells swelling stories about as bad as BOO so you never know if he's full of it or not. I love Guntersville though, what's not to love? It's not perhaps the most popular lake in the country for nothing. Of course, Kentucky Lake is getting to be almost as popular of late.

I've thought about going down and staying at Paris State Park in Tennessee. Kentucky Lake is THREE MILES across there! It's just such a huge lake and fish utilize a lot of the lake so it's no wonder that there are so many there.

Tell me more about this Lake St. Claire? DETAILS Please? how long to get there? where are you fishing at? what's the water like? best time to go there? hey, you've got our attention...please don't leave us wanting.. ;-)

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i've been to kentucky lake down at paducah, nearly in arkansas, and it was really nice, but we got a severe cold front that came in. ended up catching more catfish, crappie, and shad than bass. but caught some nice bass.

now lake guntersville, was there first week of june last year. they were killing topwater frogs , but dang was it hot. lost the biggest bass i ever had on my hook there. trip wise about the same. so i'd head back to jackson county, and lake guntersville if it was me.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

gotta be willing to pull alot of grass off your plugs though.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:gotta be willing to pull alot of grass off your plugs though.
...and...five pounders too!

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I hope she gave you a few pointers so we can have a fish fry.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Looks like Points, Points and more Points on that lake? kinda reminds me of Douglas.

I was at Yatesville yesterday. I caught 2 and worked 'fairly' hard for them. I've got this loss of confidence or something going on that we all deal with from time to time. However, I'm for sure that no one one else was doing any good either as when I got there, there were maybe 4 dozen boats on the water, 2 hours before dark, there probably wasn't 5 of us left on the water. There were 3, including myself, 30 minutes before dark and they were right behind me as I was loading my boat up

Caught both fish on a crank bait in about 5' of water or more.

DYING to fish somewhere where there are fish at again and elbow room. Missing night fishing for that latter. I prefer to have the entire lake to myself and that usually is at 2 in the morning on a weekday :122246

Boo, that first lake picture after the bosses, is that a creek? surely that's not the main body, is it?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Oh...and, looking at this lake, from what you've shown me...would I toss anything other than a deep diving crank bait that will stir up the bottom? probably not....unless it was my favorite bait..jig

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

kantuckyII wrote:
Boo, that first lake picture after the bosses, is that a creek? surely that's not the main body, is it?

"First lake picture after the bosses" ?? I'm not sure which picture you are referring to....

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

That is pretty much the upper end of the lake. It turns to the right at the far end of that pic and widens out and goes for several miles. If I remember correctly it was 30,000 acres.

EDIT:
I looked it up and it is 30,300 acres with 463 miles of shoreline in 4 counties.

Cherokee Lake

New Search

Vital Statistics for this Fishing Spot
Nearest City: Morristown
County(s): Hawkins, Grainger, Hamblen and Jefferson
State: Tennessee
Acres: 30,300
Shoreline: 463 miles
Elevation:
Mean Depth: 28 ft.
Max. Depth:
Drainage:
Lat/Long:
Lake Type:
Fish Species: Black Crappie, Bluegill, Channel Catfish, Largemouth Bass, Sauger, Saugeye, Smallmouth Bass, Spotted Bass, Striped Bass, Walleye

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: I wouldnt put it past him. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

That's where I keep'em and if she chooses to sit there, that's up to her. :mrgreen:

Ozzie sits there too when we go fishing.

Just an occupational hazard I guess. :lol:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Made up my mind, leaving next Saturday morning at the crack of dawn, heading for Guntersville. I then check one more thing..GEESH! Toyota Tundra Bass Tournament that whole week. Make me puke! Ok, back to the drawing board :mad:

•October 31 - November 6 ABA Bass Toyota Tundra National Championship

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

So go this week. Get in there and jack em silly before the pros get there later in the week.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Wished I could big guy, just can't go this week. If for no other reason, I want to be standing beside of Biggdowgg when he tells me what day we'll be getting my sub ;-)

Anyone ever fish Chickamauga Lake? I've done Watts Bar in the past...Nickajack? Wattsbar lately?

I was going to camp...and you know, Guntersville has the best ramps I've ever seen on one lake. They're everywhere. Kentucky and Tennessee, I'm talking Kentucky Lake and everywhere I've been in Tennessee are pretty spotty.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”