Coyote Hunting

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Coyote Hunting

Post by Bleeding Red »

I went with friend this evening. The farm that we set up on and the area around it is loaded with yotes. Last week produced 3 yotes coming in to a rabbit and distress call and one getting shot.

Tonight we started with a rabbit in distress and had no luck. After 15 minutes of calling we switched to a howl. After a couple minutes we had a yote howling and yipping back at us from a couple hundred yards away. We switched back over to a rabbit in distress and he came in to 200 yards and I missed him with my .300 win mag, so of course there are no pics!

Seems like with the weather getting colder the yotes are on the move and anyone that likes to call them in will certainly have fun doing it during this time of the year.

W.Primos
Waterboy

Re: Coyote Hunting

Post by W.Primos »

I don't tell this story to often...its pretty hard to believe!

I'm setting in a thicket with my turkey decoys out to my left about 20 yrds. A gobbler is down over a bank answering my calls. Out of nowhere a large coyote comes running through my thicket and sides to a stop...just brushing my leg....turns and goes back out the same way he came in. (my right)

This all happened so fast my heart never had a chance to stop or try to pound its way out of my chest. I've killed a couple yotes but none ever stank as bad as this one!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Were you working a hen call? I ask because I had numerous coyotes come rushing in to a hen call while turkey hunting.

And I think every yote smells rank!

W.Primos
Waterboy

Post by W.Primos »

Yes, of course a hen call. I've called a few others in but that was the first one to actually run into me.

Baz55
Riding the Bench

Post by Baz55 »

I have a ton of Coyotes here in KY. I get at least 1 coyote pic to ever 5 deer pics on my trail camera. I think this Coyote is unusual looking... but i havent seen a lot of them either.. i had him at 50 yards the first day of KY season but couldnt get a clear shot.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Yeah it does look weird. Hardly ever see a yote with a blonde coat.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

Bleeding Red wrote: Hardly ever see a yote with a blonde coat.
no, but i saw a blonde with a yote coat once. :roll: :mrgreen:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

KVDW wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote: Hardly ever see a yote with a blonde coat.
no, but i saw a blonde with a yote coat once. :roll: :mrgreen:

Our buddy Brett missed a good deer last night........aka Bill Jordan. Remember? I do........

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

Baz55 wrote:I have a ton of Coyotes here in KY. I get at least 1 coyote pic to ever 5 deer pics on my trail camera. I think this Coyote is unusual looking... but i havent seen a lot of them either.. i had him at 50 yards the first day of KY season but couldnt get a clear shot.

You need any help taking them yotes out :lol: :lol: :lol:

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:
Baz55 wrote:I have a ton of Coyotes here in KY. I get at least 1 coyote pic to ever 5 deer pics on my trail camera. I think this Coyote is unusual looking... but i havent seen a lot of them either.. i had him at 50 yards the first day of KY season but couldnt get a clear shot.

You need any help taking them yotes out :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd be glad to help :mrgreen:

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

I am putting in for first dibs on that deal We are ND

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

The reason it looks unusual is maybe because it is wearing its summer coat or it could be a coydog,I have a friend of mine that has one mounted that is jet black has short hair and a white diamond on its chest.

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:I am putting in for first dibs on that deal We are ND
Haha! ill be having a group hunt soon.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

A good portion of them out here are that color.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

I would say that the color of the coat they have just reflects where they spend most of there time at kinda like a bass in the water. If a bass is in clear water it will be a different color fish then a bass in dirty water. Maybe the coat color just tells if the coyote spends most of its time in the woods or in open fields that it gets a lot of sun, just a thought

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”