Bald Eagles

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: Bald Eagles

Post by kantuckyII »

Boonedawg wrote:They are bigger than most folks think.
I really believe most people around here see an Osprey and confuse them with a Bald Eagle. The Bald Eagle that flew right over my head at Grayson a few years back was absolutely enormous! Probably even large for an Eagle. So much larger than hawks and Ospreys

Oakie from Muskogee
Freshman Team

Post by Oakie from Muskogee »

Have never seen one in the wild before down here, would be awesome though

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

They are numerous along the Scioto River between Lucasville and Portsmouth. There is an aerie behind the apartments in Rushtown.

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

There are a couple between the Pike county line and S.R. 32on the river along 104. I have saw them several times flying in the bottoms.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I seen three of them the other day on the river when I was catfishing the most I ever seen was eight at one time they were all together feeding on fish that were trapped in the river bottoms after the water went down it is pretty common to see them on the westside nowadays.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

since this was originally posted, i have saw my share of them around lake white. but where i spot the most of them is cruisin on fish n game road on the gator. toward the back end.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I saw one on the river the other day. It was immature and had a dark head. I still say 99% of supposed eagle sightings are Ospreys.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

then what makes you think ya saw 1 tuck.

sprinter14
Varsity

Post by sprinter14 »

Definately bald eagles I am seeing here in Chillicothe. I've seen them in the early morning in trees along 23......... and one night on 32 I think I saw Mothman.....

Dean
Freshman Team

Post by Dean »

Sorry KII, but you seem totally arrogant when you say that 99% of sightings aren't bald eagles, but then you talk about seeing one yourself. Most people know what a mature bald eagle looks like, and they are numerous along the Scioto River. Don't tell other people what they have seen unless you accompany every person when thet see it.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

i know what an Eagle looks like, been fishing northwestern ontario for 25 years. having said that I saw an eagle between garrison and vanceburg last week, and saw 4-5 fishing cave run last sunday.

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

I have seen 2 in the past months flying overhead 23 in Waverly. I will have to go out on Fish and Game to see what I find.

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

ManitouDan wrote: saw 4-5 fishing cave run last sunday.
were they all in the same boat.... and what were they using? :lol:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Well, if I came off that way, it wasn't my intention, nor my attitude. I just know how many times over the years someone has said to me, look, it's an eagle and in-fact it's an osprey. I know there's a nesting pair over the Greenup Dam area now. I'm sure they spread far and wide. I did seen one around Franklin Furnace earlier this summer.

The neatest eagle sighting I have had was at Grayson Lake 2 years ago. An immature (no white head) bald Eagle was trying to catch a solitaire duck. The duck would dive each time the eagle dove for it. This went on for about 15 minutes or so till the guy just got tired and flew off

It would be easy to see how some would do it (and I'M not saying anyone here is mistaken at all)

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:then what makes you think ya saw 1 tuck.
Cause, I'm a one-percenter? :?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

KVDW wrote:
ManitouDan wrote: saw 4-5 fishing cave run last sunday.
were they all in the same boat.... and what were they using? :lol:

Medussa's of course !

wildthingRV
All Conference

Post by wildthingRV »

My parents have a nesting pair on the hill above their house (they live on Lake Erie). THey are fun to watch fish, which they do constantly and to devestating effect. IF they drop a fish, which is rare, they leave it for the buzzards and simply get another. It's just so easy. They ARE massive, and it's always a treat to see the babies grow. Of course, I get to watch in time lapse because I only get there a few times a year.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”