Should rifles be permited for deer hunting in Ohio?

Should the state of Ohio be able to hunt deer with a rifle

Total votes: 0

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Should rifles be permited for deer hunting in Ohio?

Post by WE ARE ND »

Opinions?

Space Cowboy
SEO

Re: Should rifles be permited for deer hunting in Ohio?

Post by Space Cowboy »

I understand why the state doesnt want hunting with rifles, but look at the range of the rifles that alot of folks use for coyote. On really cold, clear nights, I will use my shotgun for yotes, but durring early morning and early evening hours, I use an M1-A and it easily has a 750 meter range. Actually, the bullet is deadly way beyond that.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

Space Cowboy wrote:I understand why the state doesnt want hunting with rifles, but look at the range of the rifles that alot of folks use for coyote. On really cold, clear nights, I will use my shotgun for yotes, but durring early morning and early evening hours, I use an M1-A and it easily has a 750 meter range. Actually, the bullet is deadly way beyond that.

You can not find many places in Ohio to even shoot that far until the field crops are harvested then some more places open up like that

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

The thing is though, deer hunting draws a whole different crowd out into the field. Guys who often times, never hunt or fish will get a hunting license to go deer hunting. Many get trashed out there too (of course, that's another story all together). My nephew and his friends go on drives, I keep telling him he's going to get a slug in the gut one day

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

The thing is though, deer hunting draws a whole different crowd out into the field. Guys who often times, never hunt or fish will get a hunting license to go deer hunting. Many get trashed out there too (of course, that's another story all together). My nephew and his friends go on drives, I keep telling him he's going to get a slug in the gut one day
Exactly right, you hardly see anyone in the woods this time of year but the first couple days of Deer season I would"nt want to be in the woods when someone opens up on a running deer with a rifle.

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

I was thinking maybe it being permitted only on private property.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

Centerfire rifle deer hunting probably will never happen (legally) in Ohio.The advancement of sabot shotguns/ammunition makes them a legit weapon out to 150 yards or more and the same is true of modern inline muzzleloaders,being effective to 200+ yards,both depending heavily on proper optics and most importantly shooter skills and good judgement.Splitting hairs over private/public lands will never fly and caliber restrictions such as limiting calibers to 44 magnum,30-30 Win.,etc. would be a weak arguement as well then again getting back to the advancements of already legal and effective firearms.

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

Good point. Nothing wrong with my trusty ol' T/C encore muzzleloader

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

WE ARE ND wrote:I was thinking maybe it being permitted only on private property.
That's the problem though, containing the bullet to the area where you're hunting at. I'm sure it's a pain to guys who have invested in the guns though

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

If you cant kill a deer at 100 yds with a scoped, rifled barreled shotgun you are not going to have much luck in Ohio at 400yds with a rifle.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

WE ARE ND wrote:I was thinking maybe it being permitted only on private property.
You may (or may not) be surprized at the number of people who already hunt on private property with rifles. It's not all that uncommon in this area.

My neighbor regularly hunts with a 30-30 and another neighbor takes his 8 year old grandson out with a .30 cal. carbine.

eaglesorfalcons
Freshman Team

Post by eaglesorfalcons »

ohio has a good thing going. i live in wv along the ohio river and regularly hunt in ohio.the lay of the land and the food sources avaliable are identical to ohio, but our bucks are smaller because of the numerous bucks we can legally kill and the ability of using a rifle.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

eaglesorfalcons wrote:ohio has a good thing going. i live in wv along the ohio river and regularly hunt in ohio.the lay of the land and the food sources avaliable are identical to ohio, but our bucks are smaller because of the numerous bucks we can legally kill and the ability of using a rifle.
That is my thought on things, if we legalize deer hunting with rifles then we will never see many big bucks anymore. People already kill little bucks when they get close enough to kill with a shotgun so I would hate to see what they would do to the herd when they can shot 3-4xs the distance.

I hate seeing what my neighbors have hanging in the barns they put deer in every year. Most of the time I see bucks that I have passed up more then a few times in bow season just because I was wanting to see them next year or the year after.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Yeah, but some folks hunt meat and not horns.

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

Boonedawg wrote:Yeah, but some folks hunt meat and not horns.
I agree. I know a lot of people around where I live that need the meat. They cant afford to pass on small bucks or does. they do what they have to do to put meat on the table for their families, even if that means using a rrifle sometimes to take down a deer.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

The people I am talking about do not do it for that though, they have plenty of food on the tables already... They shoot everything they see just to unload the guns they are carrying around I think

WE ARE ND
JV Team

Post by WE ARE ND »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:

The people I am talking about do not do it for that though, they have plenty of food on the tables already... They shoot everything they see just to unload the guns they are carrying around I think
Wow, I see where your coming from now. There is no point and doing that, most likely the person will just end up injuring the deer and let it run off to die. I had a problem with people on a property next to mine that would shoot at anything that moves. I think the reason why it is prohibited to hunt deer with a rifle is because of these people, they ruin it for the respectful, responsible hunters.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:
eaglesorfalcons wrote:ohio has a good thing going. i live in wv along the ohio river and regularly hunt in ohio.the lay of the land and the food sources avaliable are identical to ohio, but our bucks are smaller because of the numerous bucks we can legally kill and the ability of using a rifle.
That is my thought on things, if we legalize deer hunting with rifles then we will never see many big bucks anymore. People already kill little bucks when they get close enough to kill with a shotgun so I would hate to see what they would do to the herd when they can shot 3-4xs the distance.

I hate seeing what my neighbors have hanging in the barns they put deer in every year. Most of the time I see bucks that I have passed up more then a few times in bow season just because I was wanting to see them next year or the year after.

X2!!!

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Bleeding Red wrote:If you cant kill a deer at 100 yds with a scoped, rifled barreled shotgun you are not going to have much luck in Ohio at 400yds with a rifle.
While I see totally the case for not allowing rifle hunting, you cannot compare shooting a shotgun at 100 yds. to 400+ yds. with a high powered rifle. Two totally different types of shooting, ballistics, flight characteristics, penetration, and knockdown power.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Space Cowboy wrote:
Bleeding Red wrote:If you cant kill a deer at 100 yds with a scoped, rifled barreled shotgun you are not going to have much luck in Ohio at 400yds with a rifle.
While I see totally the case for not allowing rifle hunting, you cannot compare shooting a shotgun at 100 yds. to 400+ yds. with a high powered rifle. Two totally different types of shooting, ballistics, flight characteristics, penetration, and knockdown power.

It's kinda similar to bow hunting when you get out that far and shoot on the hills, you will have to estimate the incline or decline of land to know about where your bullet will be going and stuff like that.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”