Catch n' Release, Thank Someone If You've Caught A Big Bas

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Catch n' Release, Thank Someone If You've Caught A Big Bas

Post by kantuckyII »

We need to think everyone who practises catch and release if you've caught a nice bass because, the odds are, it had been caught before, maybe many times before over it's life time and you wouldn't have caught it when you did had they not released it before. Also, I've always scratched my head at the way the 'bass pros' do their spring 'sight fishing' you'd think they'd know better?

...Born To Be Caught: Largemouth Bass Vulnerability To Being Caught By Anglers Is A Heritable Trait
ScienceDaily (Apr. 15, 2009) —

In an experiment spanning over 20 years, researchers at the University of Illinois have found that vulnerability to being caught by anglers is a heritable trait in largemouth bass

The study began in 1975 with the resident population of bass in Ridge Lake, an experimental study lake in Fox Ridge State Park in Charleston. The fishing was controlled. For example, anglers had to reserve times, and every fish that was caught was put into a live well on the boat. The fish were measured and tagged to keep track of how many times each fish had been caught. All fish were then released.

"We kept track over four years of all of the angling that went on, and we have a total record – there were thousands of captures," said David Philipp, ecology and conservation researcher at U of I. "Many fish were caught more than once. One fish was caught three times in the first two days, and another was caught 16 times in one year."

After four years, the pond was drained, and more than 1,700 fish were collected. "Interestingly, about 200 of those fish had never been caught, even though they had been in the lake the entire four years," Philipp said.

Males and females from the group that had never been caught were designated Low Vulnerability (LV) parents. To produce a line of LV offspring, these parents were allowed to spawn with each other in university research ponds. Similarly, males and females that had been caught four or more times in the study were designated High Vulnerability (HV) parents that were spawned in different ponds to produce a line of HV offspring. The two lines were then marked and raised in common ponds until they were big enough to be fished.

"Controlled fishing experiments clearly showed that the HV offspring were more vulnerable to angling than the LV offspring," said Philipp.

This selection process was repeated for several generations over the course of the 20 year experiment.

"As we had predicted, vulnerability was a heritable trait," he said. Philipp went on to explain that with each generation, the difference between lines in angling vulnerability grew even larger.

"Most of the selection is occurring on the LV fish – that is, for the most part, the process is making that line of fish less vulnerable to angling. We actually saw only a small increase in angling vulnerability in the HV line," Philipp said.

Male bass are the sole caregiver for the offspring. Females lay eggs and leave. The male guards the nest against brood predators for about three to four days before the eggs hatch and another eight to 10 days after they hatch, before they become free-swimming. Even after the baby bass start to swim, the dads stay with them for another three weeks while they feed and grow, protecting them from predators.

Philipp explained that the experiment sped up what's actually happening in nature. "In the wild, the more vulnerable fish are being preferentially harvested, and as a result the bass population is being directionally selected to become less vulnerable. We selected over three generations, but in the wild the selection is occurring in every generation.

"We've known for 50 years that commercial fishing exerts selection on wild populations," he said. "We take the biggest fish, and that has changed life histories and growth patterns in many populations of commercially harvested species. Because there is no commercial fishing for bass, we were assessing the evolutionary impacts of recreational fishing."

Philipp explained that the perception among anglers is that catch-and-release has no negative impact on the population. During the spawning season, however, if bass are angled and held off of their nests for more than a few minutes, when they are returned to the lake, it's too late; other fish have found the nest and are quickly eating the babies.

Philipp recommends that to preserve bass populations across North America, management agencies need to protect the nesting males during the spawning season. "There should be no harvesting bass during the reproductive period. That makes sense for all wildlife populations. You don't remove the adults during reproduction.

"One of the big issues for concern is the explosion of tournaments. Lots of bass tournaments are held during the springtime because there are lots of big fish available. In tournaments you put fish into live wells, and yes, they're released, but they could be held for up to 8 hours first. They're brought back to the dock, miles from their nest. So, basically, if a fish is caught in a tournament and brought into the boat and put into a live well, his nest is destroyed."

Philipp recommended that if fishing tournaments were held during the spawning season, then regulations should require that there be immediate catch-and-release, eliminating the use of tournament weigh-ins.

Philipp urges management agencies to go even further and suggests that a portion of each lake could be set aside as a bass spawning sanctuary, where all fishing would be prohibited until after bass reproduction is complete. In the rest of the lake, mandatory catch-and-release regulations could be put into place during that same reproductive period. In Illinois, the bass reproduction period is from about April 1 through June 15. Philipp said that in that way, anglers could help protect the long-term future of the resource without completely restricting fishing.

"The potential for angling to have long-term evolutionary impacts on bass populations is real. If we truly want to protect this valuable resource into the future, then we need to understand that and adjust our management strategies," Philipp said.

Others on the University of Illinois research team include Steven Cooke, Julie Claussen, Jeffrey Koppelman, Cory Suski, and Dale Burkett.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Catch n' Release, Thank Someone If You've Caught A Big B

Post by biggdowgg »

I would like to Thanks BOO,and OZZIE AND ALSO YOU,I know all 3 of you are Catch and release fishermen

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I always release my bass

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

..and, I need the 'dumb one's' so please, release them so they can pass on their stupid gene ;-)

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Heck, why do you suppose they call young fish "fry" ??? Yummy YUM !!!!! :mrgreen:

I have two tournament shows on tape (one including Van Dam) where the cameraman is filming the "pros" putting their most recent catch into their livewells and "accidentally" shows two or three nice 5 pounders floating belly up in the wells. :twisted: :twisted:
That ain't good.... and they cover it up and keep it hush-hush because they are getting filthy rich from it. In some of those large tournaments they literally catch TONS of bass and I would say that more bass are killed in ONE of those tourneys than you or I would eat in a lifetime.
They are getting rich killing the bass and at the same time chastising the casual fisherman for eating one or two for supper every two or three weeks or less often as part of a healthy diet.
It's nothing more than a brainwashing scam by them.
The biggest offenders EVER are the folks like Bill Dance, Ray Scott and others who started the tourney boom. I know you have all seen pictures of those guys holding up as many as 20 nice bass on a stringer in their younger days..... but that was before they discovered they could make a BUNCH of coins from it and so now they preach "catch-and-release" so they can perpetuate their high lifestyle they've become accustomed to and tell you ...shame... shame if you eat one now and then.
There's too much money involved in the tourney game now for it to ever go away but IMO I think they should at least make them "catch, weigh, and release immediately".......ON THE SPOT.... NOW !!!
I, for one, highly applaud those places that have banned tournament fishing.

:aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I dont see any bass on the endangered list, so aI say....EAT HEALTHY! :mrgreen:

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

I release all My Bass, Right into Hot Oil!!

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

:aaaaa41 :aaaaa59 :aaaaa57

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

If Boo's attitude prevails amonst all bassfisherman, one will be lucky to catch a dozen a year as the pressure is so powerful on the species

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

kantuckyII wrote:If Boo's attitude prevails amonst all bassfisherman, one will be lucky to catch a dozen a year as the pressure is so powerful on the species
Heck, Ozz said that would be an improvement for him. :122246 He said, "Bring on those numbers for me".
As for me, that would work out just about right. If I ate 2 fish per meal once a month for the 6 summer months, that would be 12 fish.... your dozen per year. In the winter months I could eat Tilapia or Orange Roughy from Krogers. Sounds like a plan to me. :)

Seriously though I can't for the life of me, Kentuck, understand how you find it so easy to get on here and rail against a few ol' country boys for wanting to eat a few of the fish they catch each year and never say a word about these big money tournaments that literally slaughter hundreds and thousands of your prize each year.
There is a VERY small lake nearby here that has 5 or 6 tourneys A WEEK and generally the winners of those tourneys have a 5 fish bag of 2 or 2 1/2 pounds of fish. You talk about pressure !
I am 72 years old and I remember my Dad and a few other ol' country boys fished that same lake for as far back as I can remember (and before) with no ill effects on the population either in size or numbers. There was never any problem or concern with the depletion of fish in that lake.
Nowadays, however, those same casual fishermen would frequently have trouble finding a parking place at that lake any day of the week much less the possibility of catching any fish, especially fish of any size. The money tournaments have taken them over and the casual, recreational fisherman such as yourself doesn't have a chance. You have told me yourself on many occasions that your favorite time to fish is in the fall.... and even at night....to avoid that very thing but your tactic isn't to get on the backs those of hundreds (locally) and thousands (nationwide) of tournament fishermen out there beating the water to a froth every day and slaughtering the fish but instead you want to whip up on a a few ol' country boys that want to eat a few of their catch each year.
You're just like the government. It's easier to jump on the little man than to take on the big corporations (big money tournaments) because you think it's an easier fight to win.
Last year my partner and I went to another VERY small lake for a day of fishing. Upon arrival we found the parking lot completely full and could see 2-man boats lining the perimeter of the lake with boats every 50 yards or so. They were having one of their many tourneys there so needless to say we went elsewhere.... and if I'm not mistaken ran into another tourney at our second choice lake.
Also last year we entered a tourney out of curiosity (my one and only EVER ). We fished the entire day and caught one fish..... and it was DEAD when we returned to the weigh-in site. I believe the winning bag for that day was 2 1/2 pounds. Pitiful.
In a lot of these big money two and three day tournaments they catch literally TONS of fish and I have personally witnessed boat after boat coming in with dead fish in their wells. I have on tape two tourneys this last year where the cameraman was filming a couple of "pros" putting their most recent catch into their livewells and accidentally caught on film two or three nice 5 pounders floating belly up in the well and one of those was Kevin VD. !!! Of course they cover that kind of thing up from people like you and me because of the Zillions of dollars they are making from their enterprise.
The biggest culprits ever were people like Ray ******* and Bill Dance and others that started the tournament boom once they found out they could become millionaires doing that. Of course they want to protect their big money pot and preserve their high lifestye now so they preach "catch n release" to the every day Joe. BUT, you and I have both seen pictures of back when they were younger holding up stringers of as many as 20 nice bass that they had caught ..... with big smiles on their faces.....but that was, of course, BEFORE they found out they could get flat out rich promoting tournaments.... which naturally requires catch and release for us poor suckers so as not to infringe on their bonanza.
IMO It's not the every day casual, recreational fisherman that you need to be concerned with.... the big money tournament fishermen are and will continue to be what's raining on your parade, brother.

Remember this? This is just ONE incident that came out. They carefully keep this kind of thing covered up and out of the news so as not to compromise the BILLION dollar a year tournament fishing industry they have going.
http://www.somdnews.com/stories/0708200 ... 2215.shtml

philbilly
Freshman Team

Post by philbilly »

I always release my bass. If I want fish, I eat bluegill or Crappie. My dad calls people who put every bass in the live well, alligators. If I ever catch a ten pound largemouth in Ohio though, it's going to be on my wall. My dad released an eight and one half pounder once.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

philbilly wrote:I ALWAYS release my bass. If I want fish, I eat bluegill or Crappie. My dad calls people who put every bass in the live well, alligators. If I ever catch a ten pound largemouth in Ohio though, it's going to be on my wall. My dad released an eight and one half pounder once.
Well.......... ALMOST always. :oops: :)

BTW... Nowhere did I advocate putting EVERY BASS in the livewell. It's interesting to note that tournament fishermen do though and many of them die.... but it is never mentioned. :(

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Seriously though I can't for the life of me, Kentuck, understand how you find it so easy to get on here and rail against a few ol' country boys for wanting to eat a few of the fish they catch each year and never say a word about these big money tournaments that literally slaughter hundreds and thousands of your prize each year.
Now, good night, who's ranting and raving? I just thought it was an interesting article. I don't think those tournaments slaughter all those bass you're thinking they do. I believe the overwhelming majority of them survive to be caught again and again.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I am 72 years old and I remember my Dad and a few other ol' country boys fished that same lake for as far back as I can remember (and before) with no ill effects on the population either in size or numbers. There was never any problem or concern with the depletion of fish in that lake.
When you're talking about things were different. I remember when I was a small boy..going out fishing with my father and most lakes would only have a couple few boats bass fishing. The shore line was lined with those drowning worms and such for catfish and bream. Not no more...most catfish never probably ever see a bait tossed their way on most lakes today. You'll see a few going after crappie this time of the year and a few bluegill fishermen from time to time but you KNOW that 95% (guesstimation) of those on a lake today are bass fishing. Head to Yatesville next month. I bet almost every single fish you'll catch will have at least one, or more sores in their mouth from where they've been caught and released just a few days before.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

kantuckyII wrote:
I don't think those tournaments slaughter all those bass you're thinking they do. I believe the overwhelming majority of them survive to be caught again and again.
==========================

601 DEAD BASS FOUND AFTER TOURNAMENT
A major FLW Stren Series tournament was held June 25-27 on the Potomac River launching from Smallwood State Park.
There were 158 boats in the field entered during this contest and the total bass brought to the scales could fairly be measured in tons.

On just Thursday alone, 158 professional anglers caught well over 100 5-bass limits of largemouths weighing a combined 1,875 pounds and that doesn't include yet the total bass tally from the 158 co-anglers that were also fishing aboard those same boats.

Over 3,000 total bass were caught during the entire tournament.
=========================

Well, I guess you got me there. Only 601 (that were FOUND) out of over 3,000+ caught would leave an overwhelming majority to survive. :roll: I wonder how long it would take me to eat 601 keeper sized bass ? Maybe a lifetime?
Keep in mind that this was just ONE little insignificant tournament.
AND..... they had ANOTHER tourney starting the very next day.... SAME PLACE !! Wonder how many days I could eat on what THEY killed. :mrgreen:

Stop by my house and I'll show you videos of a few nice 5 pound bass floating belly up...deader than 4 o'clock.... in some of the "pros" livewells.... including one in Kevin VD's well during the recent classic. Did you hear anything mentioned about that? Of course not. $$$

Ol' uncle Ray and uncle Bill have you and thousands like you brainwashed my good friend. :mrgreen: :)

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

kantuckyII wrote:
When you're talking about things were different.
MY POINT EXACTLY !! Thank you. :mrgreen:

No $40,000 bass boats...... no $40,000 Chevy duelly to pull it with....no $200 CarrotStyx rods.... no $2000 sonars....etc.
ALL INDUCED BY THE LURE AND EXCITEMENT OF POSSIBLY BECOMING THE NEXT ULTRA RICH BILL DANCE OR KEVIN VD ON THE TOURNAMENT TRAIL.

BRAINWASHED !!!

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Fishing, for the most part, isn't even a relaxing recreational endeavor anymore. It's a Business.... and it's a BIG billion dollar business.
You mentioned going fishing with your Dad when you were younger. If he was anything like my Dad and you finally hooked a fish he would be saying, "Now play him... don't horse him." Remember that ? It was FUN.
If you happened to tape the recent Classic in La., go back and check out all the bass KVD caught. I would bet it wasn't an average of more that 8 seconds from the time he hooked one 'til he had it in the boat. He'd take that rod and big ol' crankin' reel and 20# test line and drag them skimming along the top of the water and swing them into the boat in nothing flat. Some sport, huh ? They're not interested in the sport. They're not even interested in the meat. They are interested in the MONEY and notoriety.... and most importantly they're ruining your fishing for enjoyment.
Have you seen Kevin VD's latest ad hawking his 1.5 and 2.0 crankbait that he caught a lot of his classic fish on (and making millions on). Note the last line he says in the ad...... and I quote......

"MONEY IN THE BANK, BABY !!"

BRAINWASHED !!!

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

BTW.... When can I expect to see your new website so I can sign your petition ?

:aaaaa21 :aaaaa21 :aaaaa21 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8

and, oh yeah...if you happen to go out after the Largemoutherigeous Bassatticus in the next few weeks, you just keep chunkin' them babies back in the water. Fido is coming home soon and my freezer cache is extremely low. Thanks.... and keep on chunkin' !!! :lol:

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

The title of Ray Scott's re-released book he wrote in "81 (I believe) should tell you what Ray Scott is all about :

Scott is in the process of reprinting a book he wrote in 1981, entitled

“Prospecting and Selling: From a Fishing Hole to a Pot of Gold.”

:122246 :122246 :122246

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

This is the guy that says he "loves to give back" to the sport...
(That is if you are a President or superstar or have $2000 to plunk down to fish in his private lake(s). )

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/bas ... sonal-lake

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”