Freshman Team

Re: Is there any trappers on here?

Post by little doggy »

yeah buddy

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

I trap but I have taken a couple years off now because I have been to busy during trapping season. Are you referring to steel foot traps, cage traps, live traps or snares?

WildWestSider
Waterboy

Post by WildWestSider »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:I trap but I have taken a couple years off now because I have been to busy during trapping season. Are you referring to steel foot traps, cage traps, live traps or snares?
Foothold traps. I tried for the first time this year as something else to do and was successful with catching coons on the Duke dogproof traps, and also tried on coyotes and foxes but wasn't as successful

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Post by UK#1 »

i also trapped for the first time this year. we caught a few coons, a fox and a coyote and a few fox. people dont realize how much time it takes up and how much of a challenge it is but it is fun

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

This is my sons 2nd year of trapping, he ended up with 10 rats, 2 mink, 2 fox and about 20 coons, lost two footholds do to not staked down properly and yotes dragging them off, I will be glad when he gets his drivers liscencse he wore me out driving him from place to place. lol the dogproof traps are awesome for coons

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Post by UK#1 »

yeah the dogproofs are great for coons. with your legholds do you use 1 or 2 stakes? we use 2 and make them kinda cross eachother in the ground and they are almost impossible to pull out without a hammer. and have you went to the state trapping convention?

little doggy
Freshman Team

Post by little doggy »

the first one he lost was begining of season and he only used 1 the second one he used 2 and crossed and still dislodged the trap , found some blood just couldnt find it, no we havent been to a state convention. where do u send or take your furs to? we have shipped to sterling fur company but would like to find someone in southern ohio to personally take them to

WildWestSider
Waterboy

Post by WildWestSider »

little doggy wrote:This is my sons 2nd year of trapping, he ended up with 10 rats, 2 mink, 2 fox and about 20 coons, lost two footholds do to not staked down properly and yotes dragging them off, I will be glad when he gets his drivers liscencse he wore me out driving him from place to place. lol the dogproof traps are awesome for coons
Yeah I was really impressed with the dog proofs.
and i aslo learned the lesson with making sure they are staked down good, i lost two footholds also

Old*rocket
JV Team

Post by Old*rocket »

little doggy wrote:the first one he lost was begining of season and he only used 1 the second one he used 2 and crossed and still dislodged the trap , found some blood just couldnt find it, no we havent been to a state convention. where do u send or take your furs to? we have shipped to sterling fur company but would like to find someone in southern ohio to personally take them to
Lemaster in richmondale is where I took mine a few years ago. He still buys roots so I would say he still buys furs. He is right on SR 50.

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Post by UK#1 »

some of my buddies send deer hides to some guy in tuppers plains not sure of the name though. if you ever get the chance go to the state convention it is awesome. trapping stuff everywhere and alot of demos goin on all day. i think its in lima this year so i dont think im makin the trip but probably go to the regional meets in washington courthouse

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

I only use one 2 foot long steak per foot trap and I've never lossed a trap with that. I have lossed a couple traps but it was because what ever it caught broke the chain in half

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”