The Alabama rig Legal or not??

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

The Alabama rig Legal or not??

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Whats your thoughts about the Alabama rig should it be banned or let them use it.

Heres an artical displaying Ohio laws on it
http://www.ohiobassblog.com/2012/02/08/ ... -the-fuss/

BigOrangeOne
S

Re: The Alabama rig Legal or not??

Post by BigOrangeOne »

I don't see anything wrong with it as far as the law goes.

The law says:
""The hand line or rod and line shall have attached to it not more than three baited hooks,...."

Dang,
I have a whole box of crankbaits that have at least SIX baited hooks on each of them. Guess I should pitch them in the dump, huh ? :mrgreen:
(AND, if you think each of those aren't a hook, stick your finger out here for me and ten seconds later tell me if it is a hook or not... and also, tell me that each of those six hooks doesn't have a bait attached to it....)

PS... I also snagged on to a trot line at the lake the other day that had FIFTY baited hooks on it. They ought to HANG that SOB. :lol:

That's my take. What's yours? :)

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I dont care as long as they have something in writing to go off of I can deal with it. I havent bought one yet but wanted to clear up the laws on it before I did. I dont have a bait with more then three hooks unless you counting treble hooks as three each.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

OZZIEOHIO wrote: I dont have a bait with more then three hooks unless you counting treble hooks as three each.
Webster's Illustrated:

treble....To multiply by three; Triple; Threefold

It would be interesting to contest that law in court.

Go ahead and buy one, Ozz, and we'll try it out. If we (you) get caught I'll represent you in court. :lol:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Personally, I have no problem with the A Rig. It has its time and place just like any other bait.

I threw one at G-ville this spring for 2 hours and caught 4 fish on it. I moved 200 yds and threw a texas rigged black Senko on a different point and caught 4 fish in 15 minutes. One of those on the Senko was 7.2 lbs.

At certain times of the year I can see the A Rig being devastating on certain lakes for bass. Early spring and late fall it would pay off. But these guys act like spending $30 on an A Rig is gonna make fish jump in your boat are way off base.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Kinda like those 50 dollar swim baits?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Wow I didnt know they cost 30 bucks. I will just use Boo's next time we go fishing.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Bleeding Red wrote: But these guys act like spending $30 on an A Rig is gonna make fish jump in your boat are way off base.
I agree. I bought one just out of curiousity this spring but have never tried to "cast" it as it is pretty heavy for a normal rod but I have trolled it several times when moving from place to place on a lake and have yet to have a hit on it.

I suppose they could catch you some fish at certain times but I don't think any more than your standard method of fishing.
I think most anglers have learned this by now and that is why you can now buy them for less than $10 in a lot of places.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/BOSS_Sil ... SSSBH.html

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Four Alabama Rig's - 30 a piece $120.00
Four Swim Baits - 50 a piece $200.00

only $320 bucks and you're set and ready to go!

oh..and don't forget some of those custom paint jobs on your crank baits that guy told us about at Freedom at the Bass show a couple years ago for 40 bucks each! what a deal! however, remember, he said we can get them already painted now for 15 dollars a piece!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I THINK IT SHOULD BE OUTLAWED IN PRO TOURNAMENT'S, BUT FINE FOR RECREATIONAL FISHERSMEN.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

GIMMIC!

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

YTB wrote
I THINK IT SHOULD BE OUTLAWED IN PRO TOURNAMENT'S, BUT FINE FOR RECREATIONAL FISHERSMEN.
Why should it be outlawed? If its used within the laws of the state its no different than any other baits.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Its funny KY says you can use all 5 with hooks.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:Its funny KY says you can use all 5 with hooks.
Is that the STATE OF ( KY ) or the guy ( KY II ) ?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:YTB wrote
Why should it be outlawed? If its used within the laws of the state its no different than any other baits.

for professional fisherman i said. when millions are involved as prizes they need to locate the fish like everybody else.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Fellars I'm ranking this new lure right up there with banjo lures and gator bait!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I havent tried the Banjo lure, but I would guess the only think it certainly hooks are the people who watch the infomercial and buy them!

I know first hand the A rigs work given the right time and conditions. Other times you might as well tie on a 2 ounce sinker and throw it at them.

YTB- I think even when the A rig is hot, you still have to know the areas that it will work. So essentially they still need to be able to locate fish. I think it is actually harder to locate fish in a big lake that will consistently hit the A rig during the spring. Most people at G-ville have their favorite pre spawn and spawn areas they fish. The A rig doesnt necessarily work in those areas because bass are not schooling shad to feed on. At least not the majority of the big females. But when the time is right and thrown in the right areas, they work. The only time I really got on a good A-rig bite the bass were schooling shad in 10-12 fow and it would be fast and furious for 10-15 minutes and then die off for 45 minutes. But we kept throwing it in the same place until they came back through that area schooling shad again. Sort of like catching hybrids and strippers on the Ohio River. They just make their rounds and you have to be there to pick a few up here and there.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Have not tried this rig yet but it looks like to me it would wear you out after awhile.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”