Who installs Fish Finders Around Here?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Who installs Fish Finders Around Here?

Post by kantuckyII »

I'm thinking about getting me a new one with Side Imaging. However, I'm really nervous about installing it myself but at the same time, don't want to give my boat up for 2 or 3 weeks to a dealer before they can get to it (you know, it'll be 2 weeks before we can get to your boat, drop it off now)

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: Who installs Fish Finders Around Here?

Post by BigBlueNation »

kantuckyII wrote:I'm thinking about getting me a new one with Side Imaging. However, I'm really nervous about installing it myself but at the same time, don't want to give my boat up for 2 or 3 weeks to a dealer before they can get to it (you know, it'll be 2 weeks before we can get to your boat, drop it off now)
I installed mine myself it's not to bad. If you don't want to try it call Book brothers Marine they might or the place in Ironton don't know the name of it. I think the guy who has it used to work at Freedom outdoors.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Book Brothers? where's that at? I'm just kinda nervous about doing it. Did you install a transducer mounting plate to your boat first?

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

kantuckyII wrote:Book Brothers? where's that at? I'm just kinda nervous about doing it. Did you install a transducer mounting plate to your boat first?
http://bookbromarine.com/

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Thanks

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

kantuckyII wrote:Book Brothers? where's that at? I'm just kinda nervous about doing it. Did you install a transducer mounting plate to your boat first?
Book Brother is down below shawnee marina on Zeigler lane. Dale and Jerry Book are very good guys to deal with they will take care of you. They are certified Mercury dealers they been in the buisness for along time. They might even try to sell you one of those Allisons they got down there. You could call them and ask them they probably wouldn't charge you that much. Yes i did install a transducer mounting plate, I was also nervous about doing it.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

What size screen yours have? Got one in front and back? Saw guy at Grayson who just spun his around but it was 9 inch screen

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Malones Boats in Ironton could probably do it within a quick turnaround time for you. Chris seems like a good guy to deal with as well.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

It's funny Bleeding Red, I grew up just one block from Malone's new place. I still can't get over there being a boat place there. Those people at The Great Outdoors do them but...again, they want that boat for two weeks. They said it usually just takes an hour which would be a 95 dollar labor bill. Sounds pretty fair but..not willing to give 'em my boat that long..especially seeing how there's only a little over 3 more months to fish!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

kantuckyII wrote:What size screen yours have? Got one in front and back? Saw guy at Grayson who just spun his around but it was 9 inch screen
The one I have is 5" screen mounted in the console,but going to buy another this winter. Going to move the one I have up front and put a bigger on in the console. Thinking very seriously going with the new 360 degree but dont know if I can talk myself into spending the money. There are probably alot of people that disagree with me on electronics and I used to be one, but when getting electronics buy the best one you can afford, it is very much worth it. These down imaging, side imaging and 360 imaging are amazing how they show the structure your fishing.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I have never been a Huminbird fan, but their 1198c is unreal.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Well, I'm kinda looking hard at the, Humminbird 998c SI Combo Fishfinder - It's got:
Humminbird 998c SI Combo Fishfinder:
•8" widescreen color display
•Pixels: 480 x 800
•Supports up to 3,000 waypoints
•Side Imaging and DualBeam PLUS sonar with up to 8,000 watts PTP power output
•50 channel GPS
•GPS chartplotting with built-in ContourXD mapping and advanced fishing system capabilities
•Dual card slots for maps and saving waypoints
•Includes a unit cover
•Trackplotting and chartplotting
I'd like to get the one with a 9" display but don't know if I'll able to swing that (or this either, transmission went out on one of our vehicles Thursday and has to be replaced, ouch!)

Humminbird's website kinda upsets me right now. I'm trying to check out all the features but their site isn't working quite right, right now..and you can't! You'd think they'd have that fixed in a half day or less!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Bleeding Red wrote:I have never been a Huminbird fan, but their 1198c is unreal.
When I went to bass pro to buy mine I went with Hummingbird because the salesman ask me how important was customer service to me, he told me that Hummingbird had the best customer service between them and Lowrance. I believe they both make good units, don't think you could go wrong with either.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I talked to a guy today that said lately, Lowrance has really complicated their units.

I looked at the Humminbird with the 5" display today. I got to play with it. While I could live with the five inch screen (as I could afford it front and back) what bothered me was the processor seemed so slow in it. I looked at perhaps this same one that Red showed and I could tap the screen and it jumped into position..or the cursor did. This smaller one, seemed to take forever to get it over there. It DID however, display the distance to the object I was looking at

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

kantuckyII wrote:I talked to a guy today that said lately, Lowrance has really complicated their units.

I looked at the Humminbird with the 5" display today. I got to play with it. While I could live with the five inch screen (as I could afford it front and back) what bothered me was the processor seemed so slow in it. I looked at perhaps this same one that Red showed and I could tap the screen and it jumped into position..or the cursor did. This smaller one, seemed to take forever to get it over there. It DID however, display the distance to the object I was looking at

If I had to choose, I would take the bigger Humminbird up front on a RAM mount than two smaller new ones on front and back. Heck you can see the thing from the console :12223

The only thing I use the one on the console for is mph, depth and water temp. The guy fishing on the back of the boat is going where I go anyways so he doesnt need to see what is down there in the lake ;-)

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The only problem is the 1198C is about $2800!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

You can get it online at Wal-mart with free shipping to store for $2447.80! a real steal! :122246

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Humminbird 998c SI Combo unit is $1636.80. It's only got an 8.25 screen and while that's a lot larger than the five, it's also not as tall. I'm sure the processor isn't near as strong at the 1198 either

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The 1198C is very user friendly and the response time is extremely fast. I have a buddy that put one on his boat. If he can use it, anyone can use it!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I went somewhere looking at the 898 (the largest unit they had on display) - and it's amazing how sales staff are so ignorant of them. Anyway - you know, the screen on that unit really isn't that large when you're looking at the side scan (the 898) which when you are, some of it is blocked out as the side scan image is like a 4 x 6 ratio but the unit is 16 x 9. So............... you're not getting that large of a picture (on that unit) as you'd think you were getting when it says it's a 7 inch screen.

I don't know that I have the money for the 1198C and if I did, I'd struggle whether to get it or the Lowrance 10 inch unit?

I'm evening toying again....with getting two of the five inch units...which both have HD screens - and the same number of pixels as the 1198, 640 x 640

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”