The drop shot

BigBlueNation
SEOP

The drop shot

Post by BigBlueNation »

Was wandering if alot of people use this technique.
Was fishing the other day and found a hump in 14 feet all around the hump was 17 feet there was fish suspended above the hump. The wind was blowing extremely hard so I anchored away from the hump. I have never tried to drop shot until then but I casted 14 times to that hump and caught 7 fish 4 out of the first 5 cast.This seems to be a very good technique that I will use alot more in the future.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: The drop shot

Post by kantuckyII »

Never done it but two weeks ago I'd bought all the gear for it but haven't tried it yet. Have to get on it soon

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

What bait was u using?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

kantuckyII wrote:What bait was u using?
It was a basspro 4" cut tail worm chartreuse watermelon with red flake and I nose hook it. The reason I tried it was the day before I watch a you tube video of Aaron Martens he seems to be the king of finnesse fishing.

wink
JV Team

Post by wink »

I catch nice bass about the same way on my catfish rig. I just tie a light sinker on the end of my line and go up sabout 10 inches and tie on a snelled 2-0 hook and another one up about 18 inches and ring-hook about a 8 inch live nightcrawler on each of them and drop her down in deep water and catch em. I caught three in about an hour the other day all weighing betrween 3.5 and 4.5 pounds. A lot cheaper than buying all that fancy rigging.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

luvbigcats wrote:
kantuckyII wrote:What bait was u using?
It was a basspro 4" cut tail worm chartreuse watermelon with red flake and I nose hook it. The reason I tried it was the day before I watch a you tube video of Aaron Martens he seems to be the king of finnesse fishing.

I catch alot of bass on drop shots. I do it the same way you do.....3-4" worm (a Yum dinger) with either a 1/0 or 2/0 hook ran right through the end of the dinger so it really has side to side and up and down movement to it with any current at all.

Caught tons of bass from Guntersville to Lake St Clair on it. Actually had the best day on Lake St Clair this spring in 4 years fishing a drop shot in 4 fow when most people were catching the smallies in 12+ fow. And it was the first time I had every put down the tubes at St Clair to try something different ;-)

I prefer to fish drop shots in weed beds so the Yum dinger stays suspended in the weeds with the weight holding it in place. It looks just like a small minnow or shad trying to hide in the weed bed.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I don't know if it's the same thing but Ozzie Ohio and Big Orange One use something they call Drop Shooting....the way Oz described it to me is that Big Orange One finds a good tree leaning out over the water in late April or May and climbs it...while Oz comes up the bank in his bass boat. Big Orange one tells him where to cast and Oz tosses this big ole treble hook up on the bank and gives it a big yank. If he doesn't get the fish the first time, BOO directs him whether he's too far to the left or right.

Drop Shooting? pretty crazy!

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

kantuckyII wrote:I don't know if it's the same thing but Ozzie Ohio and Big Orange One use something they call Drop Shooting....the way Oz described it to me is that Big Orange One finds a good tree leaning out over the water in late April or May and climbs it...while Oz comes up the bank in his bass boat. Big Orange one tells him where to cast and Oz tosses this big ole treble hook up on the bank and gives it a big yank. If he doesn't get the fish the first time, BOO directs him whether he's too far to the left or right.

Drop Shooting? pretty crazy!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”