Favorite Fishing Line For Jigs/Worms/Crank Baits?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Favorite Fishing Line For Jigs/Worms/Crank Baits?

Post by kantuckyII »

I'll say...my favorite for Cranks Baits USED To be, Bass Pro Shops Excel. I know a lot of things are made over seas but it's hard for me to get past that it used to be made in the USA and now is Made In China. I'm not saying I won't ever buy it again but? Also, I felt it and thought the formula had changed some. I loved the old one as it was STRONG as could be, casted well and what was important to me was that it STRETCHED and that, in my opinion, allowed me to get a lot better hookups on a crank bait.

Worm/Jigs? well, I've never (might be the last person on the planet) never tried Fluorocarbon. I have tried a couple of braids and have had a love/hate affair with braids (for fishing down below the dam for Sauger and such, I wouldn't fish with anything BUT braids....with a mono leader that can be broken off. The sense of a light Sauger strike seems magnified 10 times with braid) and will continue to experiment with them.

Which brings me to say that I'm really mostly using the same line I've been using since I was a boy, Trilene XL. I like the 17 lb test as it has so little stretch. I did, last week, spool on Trilene Max and have been giving it a try...

Anyone else/ Love to hear your opinions

PS - still remember watching my dad string his 'cat gut' fishing line out to 'let it dry' from clothes line to clothes line. Don't know if that was really needed or not but they all done it. He had those old silver reels with no drag and about 500 lb test cat gut lol...I even had a steel fishing rod (never missed a hook set with that thing!)

His tackle box? I remember staring into that thing like it held the mysteries of the universe! Those old Nip-I-Diddee's, Midge Oreno's...Jitterbugs, Hula Poppers, Baby Lucky 13's and Lazy Ikes were the most beautiful things I'd ever seen in my life! I don't think I ever saw anything prettier till I went through puberty!

Loved hearing Dad say when I'd made the perfect cast into the most fishy looking place, 'Watch out, you're just liable to get tore up!' I was so pumped I'd jump half way out of my seat when a bluegill would smack it lol

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Favorite Fishing Line For Jigs/Worms/Crank Baits?

Post by Bleeding Red »

I like P Line.

I agree about Excell. I used it for 20 years and then all of a sudden the "new" Excell came out. It is not as strong and has way too much memory for my liking. Especially for a jig or finesse bait.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I've heard some good things about that P-Line before. I'll look into it further.

Wished others would have piped in on this. I'm surprised my haters haven't been on this forum too lol

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

I used a lot of that P-Line back when fishing the Maumee for them EYES.
It is a great line..
I recently went with the Sufix 832 braid. It works great also, exceptin for the more than normal rats nest.
But it sure is nice bein able to horse a fish and not worry bout it breakin.
It has put many a bunch of fillets in the freezer...

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Do you use a leader with the braid NYBUX? I see where Sufix is made by Rapala. Those guys have such a great name. I'd love know how many fish have been caught on Rapala's!

NYBUX
Varsity

Post by NYBUX »

No leader yet as I have only used it on lakes and small ponds.
If I was fishing a river a leader of smaller wt. would be a must..

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I used Bass Pro excel for over 20 years and swore by it the best line for the money no doubt. The new improved formula of the line is junk bought two spools awhile back ended up throwing them in the trash. I have only used one type of p-line it was in the green box. The line seems very strong and abrasive resistant, it seems fine in a casting reel but did not like it in a spinning reel. I also use alot of braid use power pro 20 to 80lb and I like braid. I mainly use braid catfishing but use it bassfishing when throwing frogs and jigs, would rather have mono for the rest.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I'd paid top dollar for BPS's Excel if they'd 1. kept it in the United States and 2. kept the same formula for it

If I'd known a couple years ago, I'd bought me several of those bulk spools and stored it in a dark cool place!

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”