Kevin Windham Retires From Racing

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Kevin Windham Retires From Racing

Post by UK#1 »

Kevin Windham announced before tonights race that he was retiring from racing. Windham will surely be missed by fans of supercross racing across the country

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Re: Kevin Windham Retires From Racing

Post by Bleeding Red »

Is he retiring at the end of the supercross season or was last night his final race? Hard to believe he would retire after 3 races into the season, and I was hoping to catch him at Indianapolis!

UK#1
Riding the Bench

Post by UK#1 »

he retired before the race then did a lap for rider introductions so he didnt even race last night I also thought it was kinda odd that he didnt at least try to finish off the season.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

At first I thought he was finishing the season, but glad I DVR'd it,I missed the 250 race because they had the listings screwed up

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

C-Bolt wrote:At first I thought he was finishing the season, but glad I DVR'd it,I missed the 250 race because they had the listings screwed up

No kidding! I DVR'd the lites race and when I pulled it up to watch it.....boom.....it was off road truck racing!

This coming weekend is another replay but it will be live on Speed again the following week. Nothing like chillin out on Saturday night watching live supercross.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I wonder if James Stewart will find the podium this year??? :)

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I have to wonder myself Red, he has to be the biggest disappointment ever in dirt bikes,the way he dominated coming up as a kid and early in his career.I watched him the last race at Kenworthy's and it was like a blur seeing him go around that track I couldn't believe how fast he was and thought he would be unbeatable for years,but now his window is almost shut and he is on the ground more than on the bike.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

C-Bolt wrote:I have to wonder myself Red, he has to be the biggest disappointment ever in dirt bikes,the way he dominated coming up as a kid and early in his career.I watched him the last race at Kenworthy's and it was like a blur seeing him go around that track I couldn't believe how fast he was and thought he would be unbeatable for years,but now his window is almost shut and he is on the ground more than on the bike.

He started believing His own Hype, Thinking He couldnt be beat, Before He got to big of Head He had the hunger and drive to be great but fame and fortune got in the way. His Younger Brother Malcom is the same way just not as good as Bubba.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Good point,whats that old saying its hard to get up at 6am to workout when your sleeping in silk sheets or something like that.I also think all them crashes has made him a little gun shy,yea Malcomb is not near as good as his brother he still hasn't made a podium, and I still remember his dad declaring years ago he would be better then James even then I about fell out of my chair laughing.James had a real chance to be something special but it just didn't work out.I used to think he would shatter Mcgrath's record but its looking pretty good now.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

My Younger Brother actually raced against and beat Malcolm a few times in Florida and Maryland. He had a very bright future in racing but threw it all away on drugs

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I knew a few talented riders like that,got into drugs and alcohol and it all went away

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

There used to be very good riders in this area. Charlie Dunaway, Greg Rand, Mark Burkhardt, Brock Sellards just to name a few. Heck I grew up racing with Charlie and Sellards would come down here to ride with Charlie and we would all go out and ride together. Those guys were super fast. Charlie was the holeshot king.

I once saw Burkhardt race at the old motocross track in Frankfort and he sat on the gate until the entire A class got through the first turn and still nearly lapped all of them.

I think the problem with Stewart is the fame and fortune. There is no way that he trains as hard as Villapoto, Barcia or Dungy. Right now supercross/motocross competition is so even in ability that the personal commitment is what gets those guys on the podiums every week. I just dont think Stewart has it anymore. I think the lack of desire and drive have caused a reduction in the training aspect of his career and it is showing through all of these injuries.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Ive watched a few of them at Fast Traxx also before the name change, Burkhardt was in jail a few years back i think

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Jeremy Buehl, Mike Brown, Jeff Gibson, Willy Browning, Chris Whitcraft, Mike Bias are some of the other racers I grew up watchin in Nelsonville or Columbus.

Mike Bias is My all time favorite rider. He knew My Dad and one day at the track in Nelsonville, He stopped to talk with Us and He signed a dollar bill for Me, That was 22 years ago . I still have the dollar and remember that day like it was yesterday

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Don't know if you guys remember Damon Bradshaw, but heard he raced that track many years ago,another national racer from Penn. Davey something? he used to race down there a lot,I saw him one time and that motor was screaming when he went through the whoops and was staying on the tips all the way through,if he would have miss timed one it would have hurt.Burkhardt was top dog in supermoto not too long ago,don't know if he still is or not?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

C-Bolt wrote:Don't know if you guys remember Damon Bradshaw, but heard he raced that track many years ago,another national racer from Penn. Davey something? he used to race down there a lot,I saw him one time and that motor was screaming when he went through the whoops and was staying on the tips all the way through,if he would have miss timed one it would have hurt.Burkhardt was top dog in supermoto not too long ago,don't know if he still is or not?

Burkhart did own a supermoto team. Not sure if he still does or not.

I remember Bradshaw and I think he did ride around here some.

Before it became Fast Traxx in Nelsonville, they had big races every summer when the AMA Nationals had a weekend off. Mike Brown, Sellards, Robbie Reynard and a bunch of the other national riders would come in and race. The supercross track used to be sick. It was really tough, but the pros made it look so easy.

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

One of my buddies raced one of my KX bikes on that track years ago and he said the the jumps were really high and intimidating when you rode up to them,they never looked that high to me when observing from the outside for some reason,I know when your riding up to them its a whole different story,wished they had them practice days back then or I would have rode it, I thought about taking my WR enduro down there just to see what it is like, but it might end up ugly LOL

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I can tell you the whoop section was nasty. There were riders going over the bars about every race, except the pros.

Seemed like once you let a tire go down deep in any of the whoops, you were gonna end up on the ground.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Bleeding Red wrote:
C-Bolt wrote:Don't know if you guys remember Damon Bradshaw, but heard he raced that track many years ago,another national racer from Penn. Davey something? he used to race down there a lot,I saw him one time and that motor was screaming when he went through the whoops and was staying on the tips all the way through,if he would have miss timed one it would have hurt.Burkhardt was top dog in supermoto not too long ago,don't know if he still is or not?

Burkhart did own a supermoto team. Not sure if he still does or not.

I remember Bradshaw and I think he did ride around here some.

Before it became Fast Traxx in Nelsonville, they had big races every summer when the AMA Nationals had a weekend off. Mike Brown, Sellards, Robbie Reynard and a bunch of the other national riders would come in and race. The supercross track used to be sick. It was really tough, but the pros made it look so easy.
Yes Bradshaw raced it a time or 2.

Before it was Fast Traxx it was called the Action Sports Racing complex. Ans yes the Supercross track was Crazy, especially when they tried racing Quads on it a time or 2, a Guy fro Glouster broke his Hip racing a quad over there.

And I remember the AMA Guys coming in to race on their days off, Levi Kilbarger who races the AMA Supercross series now, will still come and race at Fast Traxx when Hes home, His Younger cousin Chase still races at Fast Traxx

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

Wasn't there a rider who died riding that track in recent years? Could have sworn I read that somewhere

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”