Stupid Question

General Chat
2trap_4ever
S

Stupid Question

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Why would you have another school in your class come and judge your flag tryouts, I may be slow in the head but aren't you just asking for something bad to happen with the tryouts.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Stupid Question

Post by Orange and Brown »

2trap_4ever wrote:Why would you have another school in your class come and judge your flag tryouts, I may be slow in the head but aren't you just asking for something bad to happen with the tryouts.

I have never heard of that! Maybe someone else has seen this happen but this is a first for me..

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

Just a guess, but it might be to get an unbiased opinion. Also, it is hard to find good judges in this area. Now unless there is something going on political with the group, I can't answer to that but it isn't uncommon whatsoever to ask guard from another school to help judge.

know all
Freshman Team

Post by know all »

what about mr. north from logan

rh*french*hornist
Waterboy

Post by rh*french*hornist »

That's what RH does, and it works well for us...

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

know all wrote:what about mr. north from logan
Funny you should ask that. ^^^ It happens everywhere. Political, social and personal aspects dictate some decisions in every district.
I am sorry to see that it happens elsewhere too.

wrestler87
Freshman Team

Post by wrestler87 »

For instance, A Logan Band member was Section Leader after the "tryouts" and during Band Camp. Did all of the preliminary work, direction and help with prep. for the upcoming season. Even had her/his Section meet, and work late to be sure they were prepared for the final day of camp and season. There was only 1 member who did not show up to these extra sessions.
Now, that member is Leader. ??? The other section members have voiced opinions that the former leader was a better selection as a leader. Anyways...
Does it matter that the person put in charge of the Grading of performance during the 'tryout' was NOT in a situation of needing public/board/popular support? Why would this person be put in charge of grading if not capable? Anyhoo, after Camp and all of the summer prep. work and tryouts were over, AFTER the groundwork for making the performances of the section was done, former member was told by Mr. North that she/he was the head of the Logan Chieftain Band, so he had ultimate authority on the final Score which applies to being Section Leader. He demoted said member without attending the Grading personally. Never heard a note of the one which counted. Yet made the other member the Leader? Why?
Does it matter that the name of the 'new' leader (although not the same great man/woman named) also rests on the sign in front of our beautiful new Logan-Hocking Campus? Does it matter that the Father of the new 'leader' also sits as a member of 'a Hocking School Board/position not to be named'? Or does it matter that the personal conduct of this NEW 'leader' has included violent physical contact with the former in the past? BTW, initiated by NEW leader... (supposed action was to be taken privately-hope so!)
I must leave this as my only outlet- as the facts should be known - and let a lesson be learned. Life isn't always fair. Sometimes the best candidate doesn't always get the job. Sometimes the strongest of performances may lead to a loss, and sometimes you just get the short end if you don't raise enough heck or hang with the right people. Or be a member of the ruling board, major contributor etc.
Hope this doesn't have a lasting effect on striving for excellence. It has been a heartbreaking event for the former member. I heard the basics of this through sobs last weekend...
I still need to hear the complete list of details myself, but as the sobs pour at every mention of the subject, I will let it rest for now. I have always held Mr. North and the Logan Band in high regards. Now, I just want what is best for the kids, and hope enough is learned to create a strong, sound adulthood for the one(s) who performed best on the day it counted. Perhaps the violent outbreak of the NEW 'leader' was also due to not handling stress well? (I.E.tryouts) Some have to be more patient and work more diligently than others to 'ehem' 'achieve' that which they strive for.
In some dark way, I hope for the community that the former leader has done something to deserve this. No, wrong... I don't, and I know better. Kudos for not quittin' kid! Deleted this once, but decided enough ppl know now that it isn't that private any more. You wouldn't believe the number of people I've heard speaking of this!

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

My whole reason for asking this question is do the the competition factor, I mean if you have a person from a school in your class come and judge you flag corp then what stops them from picking the worse ones just to make their corp look better in comparison during competitions.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

2trap_4ever wrote:My whole reason for asking this question is do the the competition factor, I mean if you have a person from a school in your class come and judge you flag corp then what stops them from picking the worse ones just to make their corp look better in comparison during competitions.
In band your judged by a score..Your not judged compared to band x....It is nice to have the best this or that at a competition but when it comes down to it you really just want your 1 so you can go to state and then you want to spend time getting better....There is always a chance something like that might happen though.

buckfan84
All Conference

Post by buckfan84 »

The guards score does not affect the bands score at all. So it is of concern what the guard gets to the guard. Guards contribution to the bands score would come via the General Effect caption. But, again I don't think having guard from another school judge would have any affect on the outcome of a competition. When I saw Coal Groves guard last year, I thought they were quite impressive and look forward to seeing them this year also.

I understand your concern but my guess would be that if the director thought this was happening he/she would step in and fix it. As all directors should oversee the entire guard process.

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

this thread is completely irrelevent i got dumber just from reading this who cares?!

Buckeye24
Varsity

Post by Buckeye24 »

osu fanatic wrote:this thread is completely irrelevent i got dumber just from reading this who cares?!
That's hard to believe.

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

osu fanatic get off the band forum

NOREDHEADS
Waterboy

Post by NOREDHEADS »

OSU fanatic died not too long ago.

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

it was so sad he perished it the battle of gettysburg in july 1863

thebig29
Riding the Bench

Post by thebig29 »

if your in the band you should go bury yourself alive

purpleforlife
Waterboy

Post by purpleforlife »

im really mad over this.you wont like me when i get mad.

Return to “The Off season”