SHOULD CHEERLEADING BE CONSIDERED A SPORT

General Chat
bettis
Varsity

Re: SHOULD CHEERLEADING BE CONSIDERED A SPORT

Post by bettis »

If its not a sport then why am I paying $90 for her to participate?

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

probably for the uniform? lol they have to look nice

NOREDHEADS
Waterboy

Post by NOREDHEADS »

abuck76 wrote:Well , what say you?................... :12224
no!

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

Cheerleading is a sport . However most of their short comings is brought on by administration and League rules. Our league is ground bound. From what I have been told the league is afraid of injuries. Yet our football team suffered 4 season ending injuries in one season. My daughters teams practiced the normal cheers, dance routines and cheer routine (which included flying) twelve months a year. They won several awards during the years both on the local and national level. When they were finally receiving recognition , the coach was replaced by a coach that was not into the competition end.During their years completing several male athletes came to support their competitions. Everyone of them came out with a greater appreciation and respect for cheerleaders. About everyone not only was amazed and said they wouldn't dare try some of the things the girls did.

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

sport
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

My daughter's cheer TEAM has won competitions against other cheer TEAMS...So by Webster's definition...it is a sport..I sure as Hell know she is an athlete...she can Sprint faster then half the the football players, jumps better then most of the basketball players, and she sure works hard to be the best...

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

:aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9

anderson2012
JV Team

Post by anderson2012 »

Ask the insurance companies.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

pope_snoopdog_the_1st wrote:sport
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

My daughter's cheer TEAM has won competitions against other cheer TEAMS...So by Webster's definition...it is a sport..I sure as Hell know she is an athlete...she can Sprint faster then half the the football players, jumps better then most of the basketball players, and she sure works hard to be the best...
That maybe true but the OHSAA says no. Because cheering at a game for your team like most schools in Ohio is not a sport. That's entertainment. Unfortunately few schools in Ohio have competition cheer teams and I doubt many want it for what formerfcfan just said.... Insurance.... Also cheer competitions are not sanctioned by the OHSAA. They are sanctioned privately and funded privately by cheer organizations and the OHSAA rules and guidelines do not apply.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

It is entertainment that has more injuries overall than football.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
tbone7707
Waterboy

Post by tbone7707 »

PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:10 pm sport
noun

I agree that cheerleaders are athletes . Most of the best athletes are sometimes are the cheerleaders. However I don't think any activity that doesn't have a clear cut winner is a sport to me. Cheerleading competitions, gymnastics, figure skating, anything where judges have to determine the outcome I don't consider a sport. Clear cut winners to me are sports everything else is activities with very good athletes. And by the way does your daughter participate in anything else because it sounds like she could help other sports there lol.

ohwkGREATNESSyrio
All Conference

Post by ohwkGREATNESSyrio »

Id say no

I AM HARMS WAY. Life is a knive fight. Bring guns for the fun.
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

WOW! I forgot all about this thread! Some funny stuff on here and NO! Its still not a sport! :lol: :lol: :lol:

AT THE RESERVATION
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

When they have the cheerleading tournaments and they are competing against other teams it could be called a sport. When they are doing this they are more active than golfers,bowling.

Sideliner
Riding the Bench

Post by Sideliner »

By the definition of sports, high school cheer is not a sport because they aren’t competing against another team. However, I believe they deserve more respect than what they get. Cheerleaders work hard and they practice just as much as some sport teams. They also have a lot of responsibility. They are in charge of a lot of things and if they don’t do them they get a lot of slack from the community.

I will add that competitive cheer is definitely a sport.
Last edited by Sideliner on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seopcommenter
Riding the Bench
Location: i like to back my statemints up with historical factoids

Post by seopcommenter »

yes

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

When cheerleading teams go to Indianapolis to compete for the cheerleading championship they are competing against other teams.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

When I was in school the policy was that you could not play two "sports" in the same season. But I know there were girls that cheered and also played either basketball or volleyball in the same season. In those situations is it considered a "sport"? I don't know? I agree they put in work and work hard, not everyone can do what they do. On most team websites, cheerleading is listed under either "sports" or "athletics." as long as you are competing against other people, I say its a sport.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Competition cheering, Yes... Cheering for games/Go team, No... But just as the band, a Friday night wouldn't be complete without them. They work hard at practicing/at games as well. My sister cheered, and from what I seen, some of the routines being done takes skill and good memory.

Return to “The Off season”