SEOPS HO

SHOULD CHEERLEADING BE CONSIDERED A SPORT

Post by abuck76 »

Well , what say you?................... :12224

bettis
Varsity

Re: SHOULD CHEERLEADING BE CONSIDERED A SPORT

Post by bettis »

I think cheerleading is a sport. If they have to abide by all the same rules as the other sports in the schools and qualify with a GPA, then it should be a sport. I just wish the OHSAA would recognize it. If they would recognize it then no one would question if it is a sport or not.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Strangely enough, in W.Va., cheerleading is sanctioned by the WVSSAC as a sport.

Neutron Man
All State

Post by Neutron Man »

ESPN cheerleading YES
local cheerleaders NO (except Greenup)

Local cheerleaders just don't do what you see on TV
its more clapping and timing. like a routine, a dance.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

I know that Greenup has a awesome program. I know that there is alot of teams starting to compete, the only problem in Ohio is that alot of the school have a no mount policy (which is stupid). The teams that can mount usually don't compete.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

:aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24 :aaaaa24
THIS WAS A THREAD SOMETIME AGO.

I just wish the OHSAA would recognize it.

THEY WOULDN'T RECOGNIZE AS A SPORT B/C ITS NOT A SPORT. ITS A CLUB SO TO SPEAK.

superman06
Riding the Bench

Post by superman06 »

As the old saying goes..."With cheerleaders it's just a game, without cheerleaders it's still the same."

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

If it is a club endeavor (which in Ohio it essentially is), should cheerleading draw funds from the athletic budget?

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Some Cheerleading squads have a bigger budget than some athletic budgets at some small schools.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Since cheerleeding is non-revenue sport, how do they pay for the entries to competitions? Does that come from the athletic budget, billing the parents, or do they raise the funds through car washes and other forms of fund-raising?

I know that those things can get expensive.

Mom2HornetAthlete
Waterboy

Post by Mom2HornetAthlete »

:12223 Cheerleaders work their butts off so yes it should be consider a sport! I see it as they girls should be able to CHEER with the arm motions before they tumble if they can not cheer well they make the team look like crap but if you have a squad that can cheer and almost all of them can tumble then those that dont can make the team look bad...... :122248 Coal Groves Cheer Squad was embarrassing last year with 2 types of unifoms being worn to the games, she should have made a JV team and Varsity team instead of doing that, they looked AWFUL!!!~~~> then this year you have the 2 seniors who can not tumble but all the other girls can, so they make the team look bad when it comes to tumbling not to mention they as :122248 the SENIORS ARE NOT GOOD ROLE MODELS!!! :122246 The rest of the sqaud seems to be a better group of girls and have a better head on their shoulders just wish the seniors would wake up and realize that they need to grow up and look at the younger girls as role models for them!! :o and for the record I DO NOT HAVE A DAUGHTER CHEERING!! ONLY A SON WHO PLAYS! Go Big Grove and CGHS Cheerleaders for the future after 09 U will look even better than this year so SMILE cause your time is coming to SHINE!

IKnoCheerleading
Waterboy

Post by IKnoCheerleading »

Although I'm somewhat sick of this argument, I am going to take part. I cheered for nine years: in grade school. HS, and even college, and I think that cheerleading is a sport. I worked my butt off in practice and on the sidelines. It's a great physical activity and VERY competitive at times. I say that if Golf is a sport, then cheerleading DEFINATELY is! There isn't any regulations on different activities to call it a "sport." (I know that that is an argument that's used very often....)

Anywho...Most people who say cheerleading is not a sport should get involved in it and actually see what those girls (and guys) do at practice and at competition. Games are just public practices and usually the only chance many get to have fun. It is less stressful, unlike competitions and practice, so the games do not justify why cheerleading is a sport. The majority of the sport takes place off of the sidelines for many squads and takes place in the gym or at a competition. I say walk BEFORE you talk. Get to know what cheerleading really is before you go and say it's just a bunch of girls who are ditzy and stupid and want to prance around in short skirts. (I know no one said that here;it's just a stereotype.lol) That's not what it's about. It's about using the sport to benefit yourself, your squad,your team & your school. You gain recognition for you school, squad, and team, and benefit yourself by getting a great workout and staying physically fit. It helps you gain courage and confidence that many other sports do not offer as much. It is a sport. I know b/c I have been there and know the ends-and-outs of it all. =)

Swampfox
Freshman Team

Post by Swampfox »

Cheerleading is a sport. For the person that said they dont do what you see on tv, check out why. Most of the time they are ground by school or league rules. If the school or league is afraid of injuries, I dont understand. Injuries are a part of life, all you can do is to train the participant as best as you can. These areas may want to look at the calendar and see its the 21st century. Unless its changed, the OHSAA only prohibits mounts to be performed in tournaments. If you never been to a competition, you are missing some of the best action. Also costs are picked up by the parents. Most schools (99.9%) pay only for the coaches and that is tied into school events only. I know because I had two daughters that cheered for their schools and competed. One also was a JV Coach and the other currently coaches at her old high school.

bighornet
Waterboy

Post by bighornet »

cheer leading is a sport they have to practice and do stuff and also compete just like any other sport :!:

sidelines08
Waterboy

Post by sidelines08 »

OK...I can't ignore this anymore! Cheerleading is a sport.

Some people think that just because something doesn't involve a ball it isn't a sport. However, I must say that cheerleading is definately a sport when it is done right! It takes athletics, skill, grace, practice, and commitment just like any other. There are competitions, alliances, and rivals just like any other athletic competition.

Cheering take trust...believing in your advisor, your school, and your fans. They are a vital part of the school.....just like the football team, volleyball team, basketball team, baseball team, and softball team.

All of these groups have long practices in hot gyms, spend time in the weight room, have intense practices, and dedicate countless hours during their given season the sport that they love. They lug around heavy equipment and work hard to be the best they can at their game.

To those that say that cheerleading isn't a sport...I have to ask...have you ever tried a back hand spring?

Give the girls the credit that they deserve! They work hard for the fans and teams all year long...not just during football season. It takes dedication and commitment to stick with something all year long.

They just need to remember that they are there to support the team and lead the crowd...take pride in what you do and be proud of who you are!

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Cheerleading is a sport. Of the athletic injuries I have seen over the years, one of the two worst was in cheerleading. The worst was in baseball.

oldcoachb
JV Team

Post by oldcoachb »

Back stabbin, shoe stealing, score cheating, it's more of a criminal activity than a sport. :122246

buckeyeguy
Varsity

Post by buckeyeguy »

TO cheer is not a sport any body can cheer watch GO BUCKS :lol: :lol: :lol: all u need is your voice no need to hop around

VB Fan
Waterboy

Post by VB Fan »

Cheerleading definately should be considered a sport. It is unfortunate that the OHSAA does not recognize this. Cheerleaders work just as hard as any sport and being that they are non revenue generating is rediculous as a factor since many other sports like golf, tennis, baseball, are usually in the red. They could easily have a conference championship competition and districts and state champions. Being that the cheerleaders work hard to support and represent their respective communities and teams they need to be recognized as a sport. Lets be honest cheerleaders are more critically judged than any sport and not being recognized and to put such burdens on parents financially as a pay to play activity and judge them and expect so much from them is ridiculous. I will stop here this topic angers me.

Return to “The Off season”