D4 Northwest Sectional

UKNate
Freshman Team

Re: D4 Boys Northwest Sectional Teams and Outlook

Post by UKNate »

Western has some interesting games coming up, I believe they control their own destiny, SW doesn't have much to gain from west and northwest after struggling with Valley last night.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

UKNate wrote:Western has some interesting games coming up, I believe they control their own destiny, SW doesn't have much to gain from west and northwest after struggling with Valley last night.

Valley is a young team that is dangerous. Took Waverly to overtime. Took Minford to overtime. Burg only beat them by 8, it was a 2 point game with 1:30 left. Just because they haven't won many games doesn't mean they're not dangerous. A win on Valley's home floor is a good win, period.

It's such a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. South Webster win's games against lesser opponents, ah they didn't win by enough. South Webster loses tight games to great opponents, ah they didn't win it doesn't matter.

I'm to the point, who cares what seed they get. Roll the ball out and play. If it was upto you guys they'd be the #11 seed.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
UKNate
Freshman Team

Post by UKNate »

When is the draw anyway, well I guess I mean when is the online draw? I hate the idea of the way they do it now.

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Clay with hard fought game at Notre Dame. 52-49 Clay now 16-2 .Good for number 1 seed.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

The draw opens on Thursday of next week, closes Friday at Midnight. Will be announced on Sunday at some unknown time since it takes them 36 hours to run simple math that I could do on pencil and paper for all 6 Sectionals in about an hour.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Fairfield beats D2 Hillsboro 67-53

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Ironman92 wrote:Fairfield beats D2 Hillsboro 67-53

Good win since it's against a D2 team.. however, a not very good 4-14 team.

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

IMO

1. Clay
2. Eastern
3. Peebles
4. Fairfield
5. ND
6. East
7. Western
8. SW
9. Manchester
10. NB
11. Whiteoak

2-4 could flip. I think ND is either a 4-6 depending on how they do with SV and Eastern. 6-8 could also go any direct as well. I think for Clay is the clear cut 1 seed.

6-8 have legitimate arguments on why they should be the 6.

white thunder
Riding the Bench

Post by white thunder »

"Good win since it's against a D2 team.. however, a not very good 4-14 team." bbJunky, Your like sour patch candy, but in reverse. First your sweet, then your sour.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

white thunder wrote:"Good win since it's against a D2 team.. however, a not very good 4-14 team." bbJunky, Your like sour patch candy, but in reverse. First your sweet, then your sour.
Hillsboro wouldn't be in the top half of any of the 3 leagues involved with this sectional. Also, I think a lot of this talk is and will shift within the week as there is HUGE basketball to be played in the leagues, especially the SOC 1 with major tournament seeding implications.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

white thunder wrote:"Good win since it's against a D2 team.. however, a not very good 4-14 team." bbJunky, Your like sour patch candy, but in reverse. First your sweet, then your sour.

As N2hoops stated, Hillsboro is not good. They wouldn't finish in the top half of the SOC 1, SOC 2, and probably not the SHAC. And for a D2 team, that's not a very good attribute.

Call it what it is, but this entire thread has been based on "It only matters that you play good teams if you beat good teams, it only matters if you beat bad teams if you beat them by a substantial amount."

Scroll back through the last few pages, you'll see what I mean.

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

I think record matters. If you play tough competition, you still have to win.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

AllAboutTheU wrote:IMO

1. Clay
2. Eastern
3. Peebles
4. Fairfield
5. ND
6. East
7. Western
8. SW
9. Manchester
10. NB
11. Whiteoak

2-4 could flip. I think ND is either a 4-6 depending on how they do with SV and Eastern. 6-8 could also go any direct as well. I think for Clay is the clear cut 1 seed.

6-8 have legitimate arguments on why they should be the 6.
Exactly how I got it at this point in time. SOC I games could change some things this coming week but this starting to solidify. I have now seen 5 of the top 8 play (haven't seen Peebles, Eastern or Western) and I do not see much difference between any of those teams I've seen based on the eye test. Saw Leesburg Fairfield beat Notre Dame a few weeks ago but anybody who doesn't think ND would give them trouble in a tourney game is crazy. Same thing for Webster as a potential 8 against Clay on a neutral court. Point being, I don't see the seeds making much of a difference this year.*

white thunder
Riding the Bench

Post by white thunder »

Hillsboro is at the bottom of their league. But if you would educate yourselves about southeastern district teams not just around Portsmouth is this. Hillsboro plays Wilmington, Miami Trace, Washington CH, Clinton Massie, and Chillicothe twice. This year that's 10 losses guaranteed. I don't know that 1st place Clay would get a single win out of those 10 games. So, yes Hillsboro has a bad record, but you have to look at their competition night in and night out.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

white thunder wrote:Hillsboro is at the bottom of their league. But if you would educate yourselves about southeastern district teams not just around Portsmouth is this. Hillsboro plays Wilmington, Miami Trace, Washington CH, Clinton Massie, and Chillicothe twice. This year that's 10 losses guaranteed. I don't know that 1st place Clay would get a single win out of those 10 games. So, yes Hillsboro has a bad record, but you have to look at their competition night in and night out.

Good schedules only matter if you win. Again, read through this thread and the many posters who don't care about strength of schedule unless you win the games.

BigLeagueChew
Waterboy

Post by BigLeagueChew »

Something needs to be done about the lack of competitive balance between the Meigs and NW sectional, seeds 3 and on at Meigs are arguably not as good as 8 or 9 in this sectional. That should not happen.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

BigLeagueChew wrote:Something needs to be done about the lack of competitive balance between the Meigs and NW sectional, seeds 3 and on at Meigs are arguably not as good as 8 or 9 in this sectional. That should not happen.
Move to a Super Sectional like the rest of Ohio does (besides the SE)

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bbjunky81 wrote:
white thunder wrote:Hillsboro is at the bottom of their league. But if you would educate yourselves about southeastern district teams not just around Portsmouth is this. Hillsboro plays Wilmington, Miami Trace, Washington CH, Clinton Massie, and Chillicothe twice. This year that's 10 losses guaranteed. I don't know that 1st place Clay would get a single win out of those 10 games. So, yes Hillsboro has a bad record, but you have to look at their competition night in and night out.

Good schedules only matter if you win. Again, read through this thread and the many posters who don't care about strength of schedule unless you win the games.
I still think Webster gets more out of losing to Oak Hill/Wheelersburg/Waverly than they do by drilling weak D4 schools (like South Gallia and New Boston this year). Will the SOC II schedule typically hurt their seed? Yep. But will it better prepare their good teams for a run to Districts/Regionals? No doubt. If I'm Webster, I'd rather be better prepared for a tourney run as opposed to having a bunch of hollow conference championship banners hanging. That's not even considering the smaller crowds/gate that would result from a SOC I schedule as opposed to a SOC II schedule.

Now if Webster's enrollment keeps dropping and they are not consistently competitive in SOC II or D4 tourney, I might reconsider. But with the talent Webster has coming from all the way down in their elementary programs, I don't see that happening anytime soon.*

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

danicalifornia wrote:
BigLeagueChew wrote:Something needs to be done about the lack of competitive balance between the Meigs and NW sectional, seeds 3 and on at Meigs are arguably not as good as 8 or 9 in this sectional. That should not happen.
Move to a Super Sectional like the rest of Ohio does (besides the SE)
Agreed. Sectional games at D4 Northwest this year will be more competitive than the District semis at the Convo. That shouldn't happen. Super sectionals would get D3/D4 SE Ohio schools back to when making it to the Convo actually means something (it still a pretty solid accomplishment in D2).*

TheSportsGuy
Freshman Team

Post by TheSportsGuy »

art_vandelay wrote:
I still think Webster gets more out of losing to Oak Hill/Wheelersburg/Waverly than they do by drilling weak D4 schools (like South Gallia and New Boston this year). Will the SOC II schedule typically hurt their seed? Yep. But will it better prepare their good teams for a run to Districts/Regionals? No doubt. If I'm Webster, I'd rather be better prepared for a tourney run as opposed to having a bunch of hollow conference championship banners hanging. That's not even considering the smaller crowds/gate that would result from a SOC I schedule as opposed to a SOC II schedule.

Now if Webster's enrollment keeps dropping and they are not consistently competitive in SOC II or D4 tourney, I might reconsider. But with the talent Webster has coming from all the way down in their elementary programs, I don't see that happening anytime soon.*
I don't generally disagree with playing the tougher schedule, but that is why you schedule some of the teams from the sectional to prove that the record is deceiving. SW has typically done that these past few years. Then they need to win and control those matchups. This year they went 1-2 against the other top teams in this sectional.......Makes it tough to argue. If SW had 2-3 more losses than a few of these schools in question, but whipped up on East or Clay then I think they would have a valid argument.

The last 2 seasons SW has been drilled in their sectional game as well. Coaches can't help but factor in recent memory as well when they try to evaluate teams. I think SW, like the other top 8, could very well compete for a District title. They however, do not deserve to bumped a few spots this season. The parity between division 3 and 4 (and the SOC I and II) is greater than it perhaps has ever been. There will be no easy matchups 1-8 anyways.

Return to “Boys Basketball”