1/31: Oak Hill @ Wheelersburg

vincent_chase
Waterboy

Re: 1/31: Oak Hill @ Wheelersburg

Post by vincent_chase »

EPN wrote:What's the feeling on coach Ater now? I know a couple of weeks ago burg fans were wanting him fired , has that changed now? Or do they still want a new coach?
You have to look at a schedule and look at games you should win vs game you shouldn't win. Burg's schedule is a pretty easy schedule. If you look at the expectations at the beginning of the year they knew they were talented enough to win the league. But you would except a split with a team like oak hill. You could argue ironton and Portsmouth being toss up games. But that is it. The losses to SW and Jackson are games they should of expected to win and should be disappointed that they didn't. Not to take anything away from those teams but IMO Burg is better than them and should of beat them. Any other losses except to Portsmouth would be let downs. So to answer your question, yes there is still a large number of people in the community that want him gone.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I still think people underestimate the effect football has on the basketball team early. Weeks behind everyone else every year.

burgbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by burgbacker »

You have to look at a schedule and look at games you should win vs game you shouldn't win. Burg's schedule is a pretty easy schedule. If you look at the expectations at the beginning of the year they knew they were talented enough to win the league. But you would except a split with a team like oak hill. You could argue ironton and Portsmouth being toss up games. But that is it. The losses to SW and Jackson are games they should of expected to win and should be disappointed that they didn't. Not to take anything away from those teams but IMO Burg is better than them and should of beat them. Any other losses except to Portsmouth would be let downs. So to answer your question, yes there is still a large number of people in the community that want him gone.
With all due respect, this seems a bit unreasonable. While this year's team is very talented and has a ton of potential, preseason preparation is necessary to shake off the rust and get things going in the right direction. Wheelersburg had significantly less time to prepare than their counterparts (which is not unusual year to year due to the football team's success). I think the 1995 team that finished State Runner-Up even stumbled out of the gate after the football team had advanced deep into the tournament that same year. I am sure there are other year's with a similar story.

All that to say, I am personally much more interested in how well the team plays at the end of the season than at the beginning.

I am not that close to the program and just enjoy watching young men play pretty darn good basketball like I saw against Oak Hill last night. I think if he continues to get more and more out of this group and they are successful in the tournament then it would be more than nit picking to want him gone because he didn't whip them into shape in just a few weeks back in November.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Noitall wrote:Really? Lmao , oak hill sucks now they only have one player?

Typical response from burg people , you don't say much about your win when you talk like this ,you don't win 14 or 15 games in a row and not be good no matter who you play, how. Many games has bug won lost to this point ,and if oak hill is so bad why they beat you all first time?
If they are as bad ad you think only one other explanation, they must have one hell of a coach! Maybe he has win a ton of games somewhere else????

Yeah, he did win a ton of games somewhere else, not that many of them was against the Burg though! :o :o

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

One win against Oak Hill doesn't change the way anyone thinks of the coach. He is still the same person when it comes to respect of the kids and community. A lot of kids have no respect for him because he doesn't show respect to any of them. You can demand respect from the kids but if you show no respect back, you are not going to get it from the kids.

hoops37
Waterboy

Post by hoops37 »

One win against Oak Hill doesn't change the way anyone thinks of the coach. He is still the same person when it comes to respect of the kids and community. A lot of kids have no respect for him because he doesn't show respect to any of them. You can demand respect from the kids but if you show no respect back, you are not going to get it from the kids.
Speaking of respect, you show the least respect of anybody in Burg. You bad mouth people behind their backs, you talk bad about all sorts of coaches at your workplace, here, wherever. I won't make this a personal attack, but I know who you are, and you wouldn't want your skeletons going public. Check yourself in the mirror first.

The fact that you think you are a prominent member of Burg Athletics and that anybody cares about your opinion is comical. We know you hate Coach Ater and staff and no matter how many they win, you will dismiss it.

Please all posters on SEOPS, understand that MADNESS is just a loose cannon who has his own issues in life. He does not feel the way 99% of any Burg sports fan. He is negative about everything in a town where the fall sports are great, winter sports are great, and spring sports are great. Could you imagine if he had to suffer through 3-7 football seasons or 7-15 basketball seasons??? Whew.

Nice to see you so pumped for the big win as always! Push aside beating state ranked teams and complain about losing 1 possession games to solid teams coming off 2 weeks of practice. Valley game 1 struggle, Valley game 2 blowout. Webster game 1 lose, Game 2 comfortable win. Minford game 1 close for a while then comfortable win, Game 2 Blowout. Oak Hill Game 1 close loss, Oak Hill game 2 close win! Do you not see a pattern???

These kids are busting their tails for Coach Ater, Coach Ater is putting them in good spots to succeed, and it's a great balance and what one would call a TEAM! They needed time to gel as a TEAM! Their summer's are cut short by baseball, football, etc., their off season in spring / fall is cut short by all 2-3 sport athletes, and their preseason practices and scrimmages are cut at least in half each year due to football. It's very easy common sense to see what happens in Burg each year since football has been making week 13 and 14 playoff runs.

I wonder if we asked the football coaches to start practicing Aug. 14 for their game Aug. 25th versus Ironton how they would feel? Since you are a such a football Burgite MADNESS, maybe you could answer that question for me or ask Coach Woodward. Stick to football and skip going to the basketball games, as a fan and member of the community, we'll be much more positive without you. Thanks!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Even though I'm an outsider looking in, I know enough of the sports landscape of SE Ohio to know that there are a whole bunch of schools that would love to be the athletic giant that Wheelersburg has become. As a Trojan fan, I am somewhat baffled by the opposition to Coach Ater. He took the Pirates to the district final last season, losing to Final 4 Lynchburg Clay, and has a good chance to get at least that far again. I think Coach Ater has turned the Pirate basketball program around after a few down years. But then again, I am an outsider with no inside knowledge as to what goes on at WHS.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

trojandave wrote:Even though I'm an outsider looking in, I know enough of the sports landscape of SE Ohio to know that there are a whole bunch of schools that would love to be the athletic giant that Wheelersburg has become. As a Trojan fan, I am somewhat baffled by the opposition to Coach Ater. He took the Pirates to the district final last season, losing to Final 4 Lynchburg Clay, and has a good chance to get at least that far again. I think Coach Ater has turned the Pirate basketball program around after a few down years. But then again, I am an outsider with no inside knowledge as to what goes on at WHS.

Wheelersburg lost to Lynchburg in the district semi-final last year, not the district final.

Lynchburg beat Fairland in the district final to advance to Regionals.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks for the correction. I was posting off the top of my head, and I knew they lost to Lynchburg Clay.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

trojandave wrote:Even though I'm an outsider looking in, I know enough of the sports landscape of SE Ohio to know that there are a whole bunch of schools that would love to be the athletic giant that Wheelersburg has become. As a Trojan fan, I am somewhat baffled by the opposition to Coach Ater. He took the Pirates to the district final last season, losing to Final 4 Lynchburg Clay, and has a good chance to get at least that far again. I think Coach Ater has turned the Pirate basketball program around after a few down years. But then again, I am an outsider with no inside knowledge as to what goes on at WHS.
The reason Wheelersburg is such an "athletic giant" is because the kids who live in that area that are any good at sports transfer to Wheelersburg. It's just a fact. How can any of the schools around them compete when they get all of the athletic transfers? Not complaining because i'm sure if I lived in scioto co. my kid would be going to burg also. Thats why burg complains everytime they lose, because they know they should be beating everyone.
Last edited by Browns30 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Besides the kid who's family moved to burg, who has transferred in? I'm curious because I can't think of any in the senior class. Just curious if browns can find me that info.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Browns30 wrote:
The reason Wheelersburg is such an "athletic giant" is because the kids who live in that area that are any good at sports transfer to Wheelersburg. It's just a fact. How can any of the schools around them compete when they get all of the athletic transfers? Not complaining because I guarantee if I lived in scioto co. my kid would be going to burg also. Thats why burg complains everytime they lose, because they know they should be beating everyone.
lol

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Browns30 wrote:
The reason Wheelersburg is such an "athletic giant" is because the kids who live in that area that are any good at sports transfer to Wheelersburg. It's just a fact. How can any of the schools around them compete when they get all of the athletic transfers? Not complaining because I guarantee if I lived in scioto co. my kid would be going to burg also. Thats why burg complains everytime they lose, because they know they should be beating everyone.

Let me tell you a story about a kid that came to Burg his Senior to play football. Kid was at Franklin Furnace Green up until his Junior year. He was playing on some terrible teams. He comes to Burg his Senior year, Burg makes it to the state semi-finals and a coach from a college there to watch a kid from the other team sees him and gets him to come to his college. The recruiter told him he had never heard of him until that game so him coming to Burg got him a college scholarship.

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

I'm not familiar with your senior class. But you can't say that a lot of the athletes in that area don't choose to go to Burg whether that decision is in HS, MS or younger. Why wouldn't you choose to go to Burg? No one cares, it's just the fact that most of you deny it.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It's not a fact. Lol. Almost all are there since Kindergarten. One or two might come in junior high but highl doubt that's making them dominant. :roll:
Last edited by wobycat on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

It may happen in lower grades but by the time they get to high school, I've rarely seen a slew of kids come in to play sports. 99% are kids who've been at the school since kindergarten

dontreply
Freshman Team

Post by dontreply »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:
Browns30 wrote:

Let me tell you a story about a kid that came to Burg his Senior to play football. Kid was at Franklin Furnace Green up until his Junior year. He was playing on some terrible teams. He comes to Burg his Senior year, Burg makes it to the state semi-finals and a coach from a college there to watch a kid from the other team sees him and gets him to come to his college. The recruiter told him he had never heard of him until that game so him coming to Burg got him a college scholarship.

Loll,so he sees a kid for only one game that he has never heard of ,and gives him a scholarship. Based on one game ? Sounds like that is a school that many kids could just walk on too.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I guess I need to reword that. Yes he did walk on after the recruiter talked him into coming there that then led to a scholarship

Browns30
JV Team

Post by Browns30 »

wobycat wrote:It's not a fact. Lol. Almost all are there since Kindergarten. One or two might come in junior high but highl doubt that's making them dominant. :roll:
Thats funny, because I only know a handful of people from scioto county and I know of 3 right of the top of my head that transferred in MS last year for sports. What is making them dominant in all sports then? Is it in the river water?

Gbo98
Waterboy

Post by Gbo98 »

So you're saying, 1 kid transferred into the High School, a few transferred into the middle school, and because of that it caused Burg to be dominant in sports? Logically, the kids who have been at Burg since elementary and middle school- are dominate at sports because of the work put into the youth athletic programs. But it you think that 1-5% of transfer talent is causing the domination- so be it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”