D3 Sectionals

Catspaw
Riding the Bench

Re: DIII sectionals.

Post by Catspaw »

petesweaty wrote:Actually, Piketon, Paint Valley and Adena should be #4-#6 in any order. IMO
Many average to below average team in that sectional.
Not that seedings matter much anyway, but Adena beat PV twice, has a better league record, and a better overall record.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

I took PFloyd's ranks and adjusted for what I have seen...

#1 Fairland 17-1
#2 Oak Hill 19-1
#3 Wheelersburg 11-5
#4 Minford 11-7
#5 Alexander 10-9
#6 Ironton 9-8
#7 South Point 10-8
#8 Coal Grove 6-10
#9 River Valley 6-12 (Beat NY by 20)
#10 Wellston 4-12 (Just beat NY)
#11 Nelsonville York 9-9 (most wins are against D4 schools)
#12 Chesapeake 4-11
#13 Crooksville 3-11
#14 Rock Hill 2-12

smith.hill.royalty
Waterboy

Post by smith.hill.royalty »

Crab's Brother wrote:
smith.hill.royalty wrote:I just don't see how you can rank Paint Valley and Adena over Piketon. Piketon beat Adena twice and absolutely spanked Paint Valley the first time around and won't play them again until the last game of the season.
Do a little research...I bet the Piketon staff would love to be the 6 instead of the 4/5.
Better be careful this year with over strategizing in sectionals because you will end up getting beat. Too many teams of the same caliber....make it through the sectional round and then deal with what comes next.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

So if teams in the sectional are the same caliber, why wouldn't you plan ahead? That's a contradiction.

smith.hill.royalty
Waterboy

Crab's Brother wrote:So if teams in the sectional are the same caliber, why wouldn't you plan ahead? That's a contradiction.
What I'm saying is if you position yourself in the sectional to avoid someone in districts is that you might not even make it there based on your sectional match up.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Fairland oak hil are by far the 2 best teams in that sectional. But man there are some teams further down that list. That can really play great some nights

TriStateFan44
Waterboy

Post by TriStateFan44 »

Fairland not only seems to be a lock for a #1 seed, but a District Championship also. As for Oak Hill, they will be the #2 seed, but they've not played too tough of a schedule. Playing a #7 seed in a Sectional Final like Ironton, Alexander, or South Point could result in a loss.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

smith.hill.royalty wrote:
Crab's Brother wrote:So if teams in the sectional are the same caliber, why wouldn't you plan ahead? That's a contradiction.
What I'm saying is if you position yourself in the sectional to avoid someone in districts is that you might not even make it there based on your sectional match up.
What you said is there are many teams in the sectional that are the same caliber.

So if team A and team B in your sectional are virtually the same, but team A lines you up to play Fairland, why wouldn't you want to play team B? Makes no sense.

smith.hill.royalty
Waterboy

Crab's Brother wrote:
smith.hill.royalty wrote:
What you said is there are many teams in the sectional that are the same caliber.

So if team A and team B in your sectional are virtually the same, but team A lines you up to play Fairland, why wouldn't you want to play team B? Makes no sense.
You've obviously a lot smarter than....I'm just hoping your not actually helping any team with their seeding.

ovcfan12
Riding the Bench

Post by ovcfan12 »

I have heard some rumors that Oak Hill is fighting for the one seed over Fairland. With Norms pull in southern ohio they might get it.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Many times sectional seeding comes down to how many teams are in the same league......in Fairland's case, Ironton, South Point, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, and Coal Grove are all in the Jackson sectional, so that should help Fairland's chances of getting the #1 seed. Oak Hill has league members Wheelersburg and Minford in that sectional, so that may not bode well for the Oaks to get the #1 seed.

Leagues tend to stick together in sectional voting, but there are enough schools that are not affiliated with either the OVC or SOC that could determine who gets #1.

I know Portsmouth is the only OVC school at the Waverly sectional, so their chances of getting #1 are slim, even if they win out this weekend and are 16-5 going into Sunday's draw. Lynchburg Clay has fellow league members West Union, North Adams, and Eastern Brown.

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

trojandave wrote:Many times sectional seeding comes down to how many teams are in the same league......in Fairland's case, Ironton, South Point, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, and Coal Grove are all in the Jackson sectional, so that should help Fairland's chances of getting the #1 seed. Oak Hill has league members Wheelersburg and Minford in that sectional, so that may not bode well for the Oaks to get the #1 seed.
This. I've said since the Oak Hill and Fairland debate started that Fairland will get it because of the representation of the OVC in Jackson.

ROLL PEAKE
Dragon's Lair
Riding the Bench

Post by Dragon's Lair »

bbn77 wrote:
trojandave wrote:Many times sectional seeding comes down to how many teams are in the same league......in Fairland's case, Ironton, South Point, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, and Coal Grove are all in the Jackson sectional, so that should help Fairland's chances of getting the #1 seed. Oak Hill has league members Wheelersburg and Minford in that sectional, so that may not bode well for the Oaks to get the #1 seed.
This. I've said since the Oak Hill and Fairland debate started that Fairland will get it because of the representation of the OVC in Jackson.
I agree with you bbn77, that having a majority of conference schools helps in the voting but only if its a close decision imo. Fairland has earned the #1 seed, not only because of the strength of schedule but because Fairland's quality wins are far better than Oak Hills quality wins. Plus Fairland's only loss comes to a Div. 1 school now ranked 11th in the state and Oak Hills only loss comes to a Div. 3 school. I don't feel it is even close. Not that OH isn't good enough to beat Fairland but when your voting, Fairland's resume' is much better on paper.

earp
S

Post by earp »

I think the Dragons are clearly the #1 seed.Strength of schedule is just too strong compared to Oak Hill. :mrgreen:

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

We've got 25 hours until the seeds come out, so I'm gonna toss out my predictions.

Waverly
1. Lynchburg Clay
2. Portsmouth
3. Piketon
4. Adena
5. Paint Valley
6. Eastern Brown
7. North Adams
8. Zane Trace
9. Huntington
10. West Union
11. West
12. Southeastern
13. Valley
14. Northwest
15. Westfall

Jackson
1. Fairland
2. Oak Hill
3. Wheelersburg
4. Minford
5. Ironton
6. Alexander
7. South Point
8. Nelsonville York
9. Coal Grove
10. River Valley
11. Crooksville
12. Wellston
13. Chesapeake
14. Rock Hill

Who knows how close I'll be, but I thought I'd toss these out for fun.

earp
S

Post by earp »

I don't think that is too far off Danica.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

South point should be better than a 7

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mrwonderful wrote:South point should be better than a 7
Who is their best win? I just bumped Alexander higher based on a similar record on bio (10-8/10-9 isn't a big difference) and the Vinton County win.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

Waverly wins over Lynchburg Clay today At LC. The Trojans drop a tough game at home to Fairland this week. Does LC and PHS each share the same record? Could PHS possibly get the one seed at Waverly now?

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Moses Guthrie wrote:Waverly wins over Lynchburg Clay today At LC. The Trojans drop a tough game at home to Fairland this week. Does LC and PHS each share the same record? Could PHS possibly get the one seed at Waverly now?
Voting locked Friday night. Last night had no barring.

Return to “Boys Basketball”