IRONTON 68 VS Logan 58 - 2/12 - FINAL

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: IRONTON 68 VS Logan 58 - 2/12 - FINAL

Post by kantuckyII »

caglewis wrote:ttt- to move this game's score up into immediate viewing range!!!!!
IRONTON 68 - LOGAN 58 - IRONTON IS THE SEOAL BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPION!
Of course the SEOAL as a league does not officially acknowledge or provide trophies to any of its member school's winning teams in any categories - sports or otherwise. So much for "League" membership benefits! I'm so glad we're out of there!

:aaaaa59 :aaaaa41

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

kantuckyII wrote:
caglewis wrote:ttt- to move this game's score up into immediate viewing range!!!!!
IRONTON 68 - LOGAN 58 - IRONTON IS THE SEOAL BOYS BASKETBALL CHAMPION!
Of course the SEOAL as a league does not officially acknowledge or provide trophies to any of its member school's winning teams in any categories - sports or otherwise. So much for "League" membership benefits! I'm so glad we're out of there!

:aaaaa59 :aaaaa41

kantucky

We all know you wanted out the very day they made the decision to get in the SEOAL.

I am just as entitled to express my opinion as you are. My opinion is based on solid facts that enable student athletes in ALL sports to be recognized for their accomplishments whereas you only care about the student athletes that play ONE sport - football.

I enjoy football as much if not more than you do an at least I can say I PLAYED football while I was in High School, which of course you did not. Even if it wasnt at Ironton High School.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

..and you're blaming me somehow?

Why are you so concerned about staying in the league? the majority of the people over there wanted out from what I understand. You should ask the school board, AD or the administrators and ask them or complain to them. Personally, I have nothing to do with it whatsoever

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

I voiced my opinion at the time, a decision was made and I accept the decision!

kantuckyII = 2old

cut from the same cloth in my book!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Ironton Fighting Tigers on their SEOAL championship.......and the league should give out a trophy for it!!!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

OTM - to be fair to kantuckyII, I was the one who said it - he was only quoting me and expressing agreement.
I believe the Ironton Fighting Tiger Golf team won the SEOAL this year - did the SEOAL provide a trophy in recognition?
I have absolutely nothing to do with scheduling athletic events - no input, no "pull", no influence at all. I appreciate the difficulties in doing so and all those who contribute their time and efforts in support of Ironton Fighting Tigers teams.
Ironton [and Portsmouth, too] has a built in geographical disadvantage, but IMO, the SEOAL was not the answer to that problem, and in fact, made it worse.
How many teams does it take to make a League? I'd be in favor of a league that included Ironton, Portsmouth, Portsmouth West, Wheelersburg, Jackson, Gallia Academy, and Ashland and Russell, KY - keep it closer to home for everyone.
Last edited by caglewis on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

trojandave wrote:Congratulations to the Ironton Fighting Tigers on their SEOAL championship.......and the league should give out a trophy for it!!!

thanks Dave......always nice to have the number 1 Trojan fan covering your back....... :) :)

Old Tom Morris
Freshman Team

Post by Old Tom Morris »

caglewis

I know you were the one who said that. My post was not directed at you in any way, shape, or form.

It was directed at the village idiot with the thumbs up and clapping!

actually the golf team won the league last year and placed 3rd this year.

I wholeheartly agree that there should be trophy(s) to recognize league championships .... in any sport!

I am not all about the SEOAL, I do think league affiliation is a positive thing and I wish IHS had waited to move out of the SEOAL until such time we found a league to move into.

As far as your question regarding number of teams to make a league, I belive that in most cases leagues can be formed successfully with between 5 and 8 schools participating. numbers greater than 8 would probably require divisions to allow for non league games in football.
Last edited by Old Tom Morris on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

caglewis

I know you were the one who said that. My post was not directed at you in any way, shape, or form.

ROFL, it wasn't directed towards her? All's I did was agree with her but it wasn't against her?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Congratulations to the Fighting Tigers of Ironton on winning the SEOAL ... it doesn't matter what year - anytime a TEAM , a school goes through any league let alone the SEOAL without a loss THAT deserves major props ... from seeing I'town twice now, and seeing the "youngsters" they have coming along - WOW! I don't need to consult my Ouija Board to predict "continued good times" on the hardwood in the foreseeable future for IHS ... great job, outstanding TEAM ... best of luck in the "survive and advance" season ...

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

way to go Tigers on league champs :122245

It wasn't a pretty win but that's what good teams do is find a way to win.

Thanks Dave, you are a class act :122245

About leaving the league, i am disapointed. Yes there is alot of travel but the competition is normally very good in ALL sports. I would love to see the Tigers get in a league but it probably won't happen atleast for a while :122247

Yes the SEOAL is very poor when it comes to recognizing individual and team accomplishments!!!!!!!

Go Tigers :!:

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Thanks - and so much for Ironton being only a "football" town/school. We do "hoops" pretty well, too! Our freshmen are certainly gaining and showing their Varsity Tiger stripes. It's going to be great in the coming years - on the court as well as the field!

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

I agree with you cag... things look good for the future of the Ironton basketball team. Remember just a few years back both our girls and boys programs were in the final four...just this past year the golf team made its 11th appearance at the state has been state champs 3 times. More than any other sport at Ironton......so you are correct we are more than a "football city".

I am not a fan of all the travel the SEOAL had but it was nice for the kids to be recognized as all-league players. I know when I was in school and made all conference it was an honor. I am sure AD and Coach Lafon will be working on getting our kids in a league soon...

Yes the league does not provide trophies. The AD bought the golf team's league trophy and presented it to them. I am sure they will also have to buy the basketball team one as well which is rightfully so but it should have been bought by the league. I am sure the Tiger Clan will also purchase patches for the basketball team just like they did the golf team for their varsity jackets for their league title.

GO FIGHTING TIGERS!!!!

Tucker
Riding the Bench

Post by Tucker »

Years ago when Tom Metters was in charge of the Athens Messenger sports department he handled all league stats which were sent to him on a weekly basis by each school. He compiled them for the end of year and had all league standings as far as team records,individual scoring,rebounding,fg,ft percentages and anything else he could come up with.The team that won the league hosted a banquet and awards ,trophys and all-league honors were distributed..It was a nice event and there was always a nice turnout..Mr.Metters did a great job with that..

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

I agree that the SEOAL should provide trophies for all sports along with banners for the gym. It's basically a slap in the face to the great teams that play in this league that they don't.

As far as Ironton goes I think they are doing their kids a disservice by getting out of the SEOAL again. The athletes won't be recognized for league titles or all-league honors as an independent. The only thing to play for are postseason awards which are great, but how often does a team in our area win regional or state in anything. The OKAC isn't coming back. It is dead and gone. The only other leagues in Ironton's immediate area are the OVC and SOC. Good luck getting into either one of those.

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

Post by Late 70s Logan grad »

Each SEOAL school gets a trophy for its first league championship in a particular sport, then as that team wins multiple championships, the same trophy is used with the year of the championship engraved (or a metal plate added) on the trophy.

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

Late 70s Logan grad wrote:Each SEOAL school gets a trophy for its first league championship in a particular sport, then as that team wins multiple championships, the same trophy is used with the year of the championship engraved (or a metal plate added) on the trophy.

The Ironton golf team won the league my son's freshmen year which was 2 years ago and they sure didn't get one....the AD bought it...

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

Daniel Larusso wrote:I agree that the SEOAL should provide trophies for all sports along with banners for the gym. It's basically a slap in the face to the great teams that play in this league that they don't.

As far as Ironton goes I think they are doing their kids a disservice by getting out of the SEOAL again. The athletes won't be recognized for league titles or all-league honors as an independent. The only thing to play for are postseason awards which are great, but how often does a team in our area win regional or state in anything. The OKAC isn't coming back. It is dead and gone. The only other leagues in Ironton's immediate area are the OVC and SOC. Good luck getting into either one of those.

AMEN to that! I agree 100% with you on that!

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Good Job Tigers and I have said it now for almost 5 years Mark's basketball camps are paying off we need to start one in every sport. He gets the most out of his players every year and to go undefeated in league play is huge!!!

Once again great job Tigers and their Coaching Staff.

tl895
Varsity

Post by tl895 »

ironton thrived as an independent! it will again

Return to “Boys Basketball”