Ironton 69 Peebles 68 in 2OT

cant stop this
All State

Re: Ironton 69 Peebles 68 in 2OT

Post by cant stop this »

What a game, and how about the ironton student section.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

cant stop this wrote:What a game, and how about the ironton student section.

The best I have seen in the last 30 years and we need a repeat this Wednesday nite at the Convo and on Thursday at the Schott when the ladies play in the state semi-final game at 1:00pm.......

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Wow what a game.

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

Way to go Ironton!!! Keep it going through the tourney cause I'll be rooting for ya' all the way!!! GO SEOAL!!!

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

cant stop this wrote:What a game, and how about the ironton student section.

You guys and gals were great! Loved the "Lebron Dust" at the beginning of the game. That was classic.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

This game was an instant classic. Great fan support, great game. Too bad the officials tried numerous times to ruin it for both teams. There were a lot of bad calls in this game on both sides. I have no connection with the two teams, but I thought the game was very poorly officiated. I remember one call in particular the official called a blocking foul, then changed it to a charge, then changed it to a double foul- a charge and a block. Can that even happen???

Anyway, hats off to the tigers on a great game. Peebles played their hearts out. I look to see both these teams back to the convo next season.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

I'm going to make one of my rare negative posts about student sections, but I'll use Ironton's as an example. A while back there was a topic "when do cheerblocks go too far?" I think student sections should not shout a word that you would not like a 5 year old to repeat. Ironton's students did this once or twice, but they have a habit of saying bullsh*t when they don't like a call, but sneezing through the last word. It's still apparent what they're saying. Lots of student sections do this, and I've never liked it.

Little kids look up to the older kids in the student sections, and they should set an example.

That being said, Ironton was probably the best student section I've seen...when they're not being obscene. I hope Eastern gives them nothing to cheer about wednesday.

gh123
JV Team

Post by gh123 »

gymrat88 wrote:This game was an instant classic. Great fan support, great game. Too bad the officials tried numerous times to ruin it for both teams. There were a lot of bad calls in this game on both sides. I have no connection with the two teams, but I thought the game was very poorly officiated. I remember one call in particular the official called a blocking foul, then changed it to a charge, then changed it to a double foul- a charge and a block. Can that even happen???

Anyway, hats off to the tigers on a great game. Peebles played their hearts out. I look to see both these teams back to the convo next season.

Thats the question I posed about 5 posts up. I'm stupefied as well.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

any stats?

voodoochild
Riding the Bench

Post by voodoochild »

Few observations....
Ironton had way to many chances to finish Peebles off during the game. Silly turnovers.
Ironton gave up to many fastbreak baskets.
Irontons defensive pressure in the 1st half was the difference. Peebles wasnt used to that.
Peebles had a nice little team. You could tell they gave Ironton their best shot. It all starts and ends with Seaman. He can play. Live by the 3 die by the 3.
Peebles had no answer for the freshman Fletcher on the boards and inside. Yes I said freshman.
Irontons substitutions will make you scratch your head at times.
Officiating was beyond bad. Thought that really kept Peebles in the game. Several of Irontons last second shots should have made it to the free throw line. Block/charge call debacle was laughable. Btw it was clearly a charge. Not even close.
Ironton student section was great. Though it was funny that the Peebles fans started engaging with them with about a minute to go and up 5. Guess they thought they had it in the bag and had had enough of listening to them. Then the look on their faces when Malcom hit the shot was priceless. Love it. :lol:

Go Tigers

Fuzz Meister
Riding the Bench

Post by Fuzz Meister »

thebull wrote:An injured player may renter after the ball has been put in play.

Thank You

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

Great game! Both teams left it on the floor and that is all you can ask for. :aaaaa41 Seamen's shot to send it to the first overtime was clutch. Malcom's shot will go down in Convo lore. For a kid to hit those last 2 threes after he just had cramps unbelievable. The block /charge call was a joke never seen that before and hopefully never again. The play happened right in front of me and it was a charge no question about it.Did they give the bucket to Justice? I thought at first they did but took it away not sure though. Peebles must have brought the whole town. It great to see a community get behind their team. I was a little disappointed in Ironton's crowd. I just thought there would be more fans in attendance. Only one T-I-G-E-R all night.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

Vodoochild- I have to disagree when you say it all started and ended with Seamen. Peebles had solid players in Justice, Countryman, and Collier. If I'm not mistaken Collier had around 12 points in the 1st half. I agree about Fletcher- he is going to be a great player. But reading your post, you definetly don't give Peebles enough respect. It took all Ironton had to win that game. Peebles only lost 1 game in the regular season for a reason. I agree that the officiating was bad, but they did not favor either team. It was just a case of bad officiating. End of story.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Can someone explain the block/charge call. If it was a charge, then why did the points count? If it was a block and the shot counted then why wasn't it and one? Could it have been an ego call between two officials?

Another question. Do the officials confer ahead of time and agree not to call the game close? Touch fouls out front and hammertime inside without any calls. Ironton had shots under the basket at the end of regulation, at the end of the first OT and with about 20 seconds to go in 2nd OT and they were all "blocked shots?"

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

im not bashing but how many shots did justice take?

rachelcreek
Riding the Bench

Post by rachelcreek »

I don't know if I remember an Ironton player in recent memory (last twenty or so years)
hitting a clutch shot with time running out to win a tournament game, particulary one
at the Convo. Ironton has certainly lost their share of tournament games to last-
second heroics. Intensity was very palatable up in the stands; made for some
not-so-pretty basketball at times; Peebles gave Ironton everything they wanted;
Ironton able to survive clutch shooting by Peebles to win and advance.

indiangirl
Waterboy

Post by indiangirl »

how about the ironton student section.

While it's great to see students supporting their team, when it becomes rude and disrespectful, someone needs to take charge. I had no problem with either student section for most of the game; they added a lot of noise and energy to the game. And Ironton's is actually pretty entertaining. But at the end, when they shout "winners over here, and losers over there" and point to a group of kids who have just had their hearts broken, it just takes it too far. It's supposed to be "fun and games" and it was, until that ridiculous chant. Although most of the crowd had cleared, and you had to be still standing there before the awards were given out to hear it, it was still uncalled for.
With that said, I hope Ironton can collect some more fans and get a bigger crowd and community support for their next game; it's something that makes it better for the kids.

To the Peebles kids, congrats on a super season, and I'm not just talking about your great record or team/individual stats. I also mean congratulations on bringing a school and community together, from the kindergarten students who wrote letters to their "Indian team" and the 4th and 5th graders who shave their hair like yours :-D , to the businesses on Main Street who hung signs and painted their windows, and the parents and friends who didn't miss a game all year. One of the main reasons it's been such a great ride, aside from the many wins and amazing games, is the HEART amd PRIDE you've shown as an outstanding group of young adults. Thanks for letting so many of us be a part of it!

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

While this game may have been imperfect in many ways, it will be remembered by all those in attendance at the Convo for years to come. The heart, hustle, and effort by both sides were unreal - guys diving all over the floor, playing through injuries and cramps, hitting clutch threes that struck like daggers in the hearts of fans. This was definitely not a game for the feint of heart. Both teams seemed to have the game in hand at one time or the other, only to see the other claw back into it. My hat is off to the Peebles team and community for their great season. I know how terribly disappointed you must feel today, but I also know that you have the kind of pride and commitment to your team that will breed future successes.

To the Tigers, I salute you as well. You never let yourselves get too down no matter the circumstances. You could have gotten angry and pouted, or you could have retreated into a shell after a mistake, but you did neither. You kept fighting like a true Ironton Fighting Tiger does. Thanks to each of you, Coach Lafon, and the rest of the staff for the district championship that you brought back to Lawrence County last night. We are all proud of your efforts, and look forward to witnessing the next chapter of this memorable season on Wednesday night.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

soccerfix wrote:Can someone explain the block/charge call. If it was a charge, then why did the points count? If it was a block and the shot counted then why wasn't it and one? Could it have been an ego call between two officials?

Another question. Do the officials confer ahead of time and agree not to call the game close? Touch fouls out front and hammertime inside without any calls. Ironton had shots under the basket at the end of regulation, at the end of the first OT and with about 20 seconds to go in 2nd OT and they were all "blocked shots?"

Yes that one puzzled me. I would have thought that if they couldn't agree, a double foul would be called and there be no points allowed since they don't count of a player control foul, and then possession should be awarded by the arrow. You never see anymore a basket counted on a offensive foul anymore. 30 years ago it was very common for there to be a call for charging and the basket counted which was like a bailout call go give each team something. Then all of a sudden they changed the way they call it and always take away the basket. I think the proper way to call it is if the ball is completely out of the shooters hand before any contact occurs, then the basket should count. that is a very difficult thing to judge in addition to the difficulty of the block/charge call. Video replay would be very helpful there, but since it isn't an option they must have decided to just blankently take all baskets away! But the call last night was very puzzling. Would anyone who knows the exact rules on this like to comment if they were followed properly to allow a basket on an offensive foul? Do the rules state that there can be no basket awarded on a player control foul(ref puts his hand on the back of his head), or is that just an unwritten way they always call it now?
Last edited by mhs95_06 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”