All Conference

Re: 2/12.. Athens @ Vinton County

Post by Skiisme »

12-7 VC after 1

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

24-20 VC at the half. VC playing some freshman and going inside on the dogs. It is getting warm in here and the second half is going to be intense!!! Lets go Vikings!!!

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

VC makes the last 5 points of the quarter and take a 38-31 lead into the 4th. What a game to see!!!

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

47-40 VC 3:45 left

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

51-43 VC 2:25 left

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

56-52 VC with 14.9 to go

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

Athens makes a 3 at the buzzer. VC wins 58-55. What a game!!!

cable_hogue
Waterboy

Post by cable_hogue »

skidaddy wrote:Athens makes a 3 at the buzzer. VC wins 58-55. What a game!!!
I listened to bits and pieces of the game while I was working.
The broadcasters were difinity for Athens. One dude was doing more crying than the other, but any listener could tell they both were thinking that Athens was getting the shaft!
I have never heard people doing a game on the radio complain about the refs being so one-sided. Speaking in a manner of how the Bulldogs were getting homered; without saying as such.
Could have happened cause one can not judge the officating through the radio.
Sounded to me like sour apples.
CONGRATS TO VINTON COUNTY ON A POSSIBLE CONFERENCE TITLE

:aaaaa99 "A BIT OF A RATTLE" SNAKE

Skiisme
All Conference

Post by Skiisme »

As always, questionable calls both ways. It happens every game. One thing I have learned over the years of watching hs ball here is SE Ohio, you see alot more from up in the stands. Refs did an ok job. Think Athens was in the bonus by the end of the 3rd period. Refs had nothing to do with the game. VC changed things up this game and played Freshman Chase Wood in the middle to match up a little better. VC was able to get inside for some easy shots this game. Seemed to make the difference. VC also rebounded much better than on The Plains!! Good game from both teams. These two will be a tough out in the tournamemt. I did see Athens PG on the bench tonight. He is a valuable asset to their team. They need him back for sure!!

Iggy25
Waterboy

Post by Iggy25 »

It is an Athens station and there are many more broadcasters that are much more biased. There were some terrible calls. So many call turned around late. So many mistakes and a late inadvertent whistle that killed Athens. Bulldogs played terribly and couldn't buy a bucket. Burrow even missed a dunk that changed the game big time. Athens was missing their starting PG which is a huge difference. VC played a great game and did a great job to slow Burrow. Tough loss for Athens, but Bulldogs will be healthy come playoffs.

Iggy25
Waterboy

Post by Iggy25 »

Also, hoping the best for Coach Skinner! Hope he is feeling better.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Congrats to the Vikings on a hard fought game. Nearly led wire to wire. Thoughts are with coach Skinner. Hopefully he is okay..any updates would be appreciated.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

I listen to the last of this one and the radio guys were complaining about the officials with out complaining. So is 105.5 a county radio station or just an Athens stataion when it comes to broadcasting. Give time, score and don't show bias for one team. I'm sure Athens people will start complaining about the officials they normally do when they lose. Looks like buy the score it was a good game.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Regarding the 105.5/970 broadcast.. its the Athens "crew"! Of course they're going to be somewhat biased! Just as the 98.7 broadcast (VC crew) Cmon people. Even Paul Keels (Ohio state) is the same way. Give them a break!!

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I've heard three people from Athens say they thought the broadcast was great and entertaining (on facebook).
two guys (one from VC) - and greatone, who hates Athens ...lol ... have complained about it.

when your liked by one side - and disliked by the other - that usually means it was intresting.
if nobody says a thing about it - it means it was probably boring.

I will say however that the crew doing the 105 broadcast tonight usually does Athens on 970 AM, in which case they are TOLD BY THE BOSS to be somewhat bias ... its hard to just switch gears after doing the broadcast a certain way all season long. The next time, I'm sure a more conscious effort will be made to be a little more 'unbias' when doing a game on FM. ;-)
Last edited by 93Bulldog on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

skidaddy wrote:As always, questionable calls both ways. It happens every game. One thing I have learned over the years of watching hs ball here is SE Ohio, you see alot more from up in the stands. Refs did an ok job. Think Athens was in the bonus by the end of the 3rd period. Refs had nothing to do with the game. VC changed things up this game and played Freshman Chase Wood in the middle to match up a little better. VC was able to get inside for some easy shots this game. Seemed to make the difference. VC also rebounded much better than on The Plains!! Good game from both teams. These two will be a tough out in the tournamemt. I did see Athens PG on the bench tonight. He is a valuable asset to their team. They need him back for sure!!
Glad to hear that Chase was able to play. I know his ankle was hurting him after last game....and this kid is only a frosh.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I spoke briefly with Coach Skinner after the game and asked him if he was OK? He said he was. However, my thoughts are also with him.

Half of the 105 broadcast crew was none other than our own 93Bulldog, so he might be a little bias. If you don't think so, you might call me little.

I am not going to address the officiating, other than to say, it could have been better (both ways) and more consistent. The blood that ran from the temple of Jordan Albright was indicative of the lack luster performance by the men in stripes.

I am very proud of our Vikings, played their butts off, everyone gave something.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Dundas wrote:Regarding the 105.5/970 broadcast.. its the Athens "crew"! Of course they're going to be somewhat biased! Just as the 98.7 broadcast (VC crew) Cmon people. Even Paul Keels (Ohio state) is the same way. Give them a break!!
I agree with you....somewhat. Bob and Jeff, while they are VC biased, call the games pretty dang good. They might voice their opinion, but theyre truthful...even if the truth hurts.

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

I visited Coach Skinner at O'Bleness Hospital and he seems to be doing much better. They did all the usual tests and he should be going home soon. Ibi Watson showed that his potential is off the charts. 31 points and took some pretty good bumps on his makes in the lane. Vinton County made just enough plays and just enough foul shots late to get the victory. LB made some clutch shots from 12-15 feet late in the game and the Vinton bench strength was the difference in the game. We can't wait to get Zacciah back!

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

So an Athens station showed a bit of bias for Athens...I'm shocked. That's like the OSU radio network being for OSU.

Sounds like a great game. Congrats to VC on a nice win.

Return to “Boys Basketball”