All (soc1-2 ) teams

osu
Freshman Team

Re: All (soc1-2 ) teams

Post by osu »

[quote="JuanMorales"]WRONG Fury! If it
Last edited by osu on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

Regulator wrote:
oakfan wrote:It most always goes to the league champ, however fair that is. Each team in the league has at least one very good player that each team plans around slowing down to give their team a chance to win. I can name at least one from every team.All you have to do is watch the game and see who your best defender is covering.The difference is some of them don't have much help, some may have one or two, some like Minford have three or four.Thats why you when as a team, the more players you have to account for beating you ,the better chance you have at winning.Minford accomplshed that.
That's the most Sense you have made this year! :lol: :122249

Surprised you didn't come on and say a kid from Oak Hill deserves to be POY.

Minford has two I would choose. Rowe or Guillion!
Call it like I see it .Still waiting on you to make some sense. Not expecting it though, based on your previous post

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

JuanMorales wrote:Not always. Im not even sure Shoe is putting Gullion up for POY. Minford has a lot of solid players and one pretty darn good player. There success comes as a collective unit. Win as a team, lose as a team. Valley has Rolfe and Brown. No one else. West has Davis, no one else. Scarberry is the ONLY thing NW has. Davis and Scarberry are great players. Have impressed me the most individually. Minford as a collective unit has impressed me. I watched them embarrass Burg @Burg. Everyone on that team was contributing. No one really stuck out

That's funny....I saw 5 players on every team I watched this year. EVERY TEAM'S SUCCESS comes as a collective unit. Don't think any of these players can go 1 on 5 or 2 on 5 and do very much. How disrespectful to ALL the young men who play on these teams. Romanello from Valley dropped 20 on Minford and Howard played suffocating defense just to name a couple other players you omitted from ONE team. Posts like this always seem to be started and frequented by those who wish to cause dissent prior to tourney play. Also, anyone who doesn't have Gullion on their first team shouldn't even have a right to comment on here! Watch all facets of the game. Understand why his role changed over the years. Never have seen the kid gripe, complain, disrespect his coach. Plays excellent "D" and rebounds. Handles the ball constantly. Consistency involves more than putting up shots and points! This whole thread is laughable. Maybe they'll let some of you do the voting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Congrats to ALL the players in SOC1 and SOC2 for another exciting and competitive season!!!!

PS. COULD AN ADMINISTRATOR PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM THIS SITE AS REQUESTED SEVERAL WEEKS AGO; I am not strong enough to resist the temptation of responding to the ignorance of the sport on this site!! :?: :?: :?:

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

oldschool wrote:
JuanMorales wrote:Not always. Im not even sure Shoe is putting Gullion up for POY. Minford has a lot of solid players and one pretty darn good player. There success comes as a collective unit. Win as a team, lose as a team. Valley has Rolfe and Brown. No one else. West has Davis, no one else. Scarberry is the ONLY thing NW has. Davis and Scarberry are great players. Have impressed me the most individually. Minford as a collective unit has impressed me. I watched them embarrass Burg @Burg. Everyone on that team was contributing. No one really stuck out

That's funny....I saw 5 players on every team I watched this year. EVERY TEAM'S SUCCESS comes as a collective unit. Don't think any of these players can go 1 on 5 or 2 on 5 and do very much. How disrespectful to ALL the young men who play on these teams. Romanello from Valley dropped 20 on Minford and Howard played suffocating defense and Linney & Wolford played well just to name a couple other players you omitted from ONE team. Posts like this always seem to be started and frequented by those who wish to cause dissent prior to tourney play. Also, anyone who doesn't have Gullion on their first team shouldn't even have a right to comment on here! Watch all facets of the game. Understand why his role changed over the years. Never have seen the kid gripe, complain, disrespect his coach. Plays excellent "D" and rebounds. Handles the ball constantly. Consistency involves more than putting up shots and points! This whole thread is laughable. Maybe they'll let some of you do the voting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Congrats to ALL the players in SOC1 and SOC2 for another exciting and competitive season!!!!

PS. COULD AN ADMINISTRATOR PLEASE REMOVE ME FROM THIS SITE AS REQUESTED SEVERAL WEEKS AGO; I am not strong enough to resist the temptation of responding to the ignorance of the sport on this site!! :?: :?: :?:

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

Gullion is obv First team all conference. Just not POY. Romanello had one great game and glad he did. Rolfe and Brown have needed help. You're obv one of those "every kid deserves a trophy for participating type a guy". Give me a break. Call it like I see it. Minford fans are biased to their team and that's fine. And you should be. They have a lot of solid players. But from an outsider, looking in...I'm looking for the best players. The two best players I have watched this year in the SOC is Davis and Scarberry. The two most next level basketball players are Davis and Scarberry

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

I think Scarberry SHOULD be POY, but the fact is that the POY nearly always goes to the best senior on the team that wins the SOC, so that puts it to Gullion. I agree with other comments that Davis and Scarberry are probably the 2 best players in the SOC, but unfortunately likely won't be considered for POY, but will be 1st team for sure.

roxanna fry
Riding the Bench

Post by roxanna fry »

JuanMorales wrote:Gullion is obv First team all conference. Just not POY. Romanello had one great game and glad he did. Rolfe and Brown have needed help. You're obv one of those "every kid deserves a trophy for participating type a guy". Give me a break. Call it like I see it. Minford fans are biased to their team and that's fine. And you should be. They have a lot of solid players. But from an outsider, looking in...I'm looking for the best players. The two best players I have watched this year in the SOC is Davis and Scarberry. The two most next level basketball players are Davis and Scarberry

I don't care who wins it. Frankly, just tired of all of you "call it like you see it" posters causing dissent on several threads. I think you should visit your local optometrist!

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

This is a forum, what do you expect? If you don't like it, don't get on this site

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

POY is no different than team seeding come tourny time.. What coach has the most pull will determine who wins.. Both are a joke in my book.. Most deserving or obvious choice does not always get the nod.. Alot of personal opinions come into play..

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

Politics almost always plays a factor for POY and tournament seedings. Not all coaches play that game but most do and play it pretty well in their favor.

transplanted_chieftain
Waterboy

Post by transplanted_chieftain »

SOC 1???

Clay - Hinze, Gilliland, King
Western - Shanks, Lee/Brewster??
Eastern - Thacker, Leist??
East - Brown
ND - Smith
SV - Belville/Klaiber??
Green - Lewis
NB - Shonkwiler

POY = Thacker

What would make for better discussion is if limited to 5 players and for each role: point guard, shooting guard, etc as most of the above mentioned are 1-3's. Not as much glory but essential parts of the game come from 4-5's as is being discussed with SOC II selections. Best natural post player in SOC I is probably the Scott kid from East as he uses his size well and will be a force for next 3 years. But Gilliland kid from Clay while not as thick defends lane and alters other teams plans/shots, is a rebounding force and had a lot to do with Clay winning the SOC I. If I had to go with 1-5 by position:
1) Brown/King (flip a coin - Brown stats probably better as he has to score more on his team, King has luxury of having other players that can score and create their own shots - both have nice crossover and other one-on-one moves).
2) Thacker/Hinze (Thacker seems to be able to score at will when he wants to, Hinze rebounds little better and doesn't take possessions off- particularly on defensive. Lee might best spot up shooter in league but others have stronger all around game.
3) Smith/Leist (Smith better stats pretty much carried ND, Leist great athlete who was hurt for some of the season. Shanks good player and penetrator and had a good year but others have more complete game and better stats).
4) Gilliland/Brewster (Gilliland heard on radio avg a double double with 2-3 blocks a game, Brewster crashes boards and all out hustle)
5) Scott/Shonkwiler (Scott 6'4" 350 - hard to move him off the block - nice touch on jump shot, Shonkwiler undersized but always battled. Rutt from SV - has the size but just didnt have the impact)

Would be even tougher to do for SOC II. I didn't see all of them play but saw most. A lot of talent.

jordan23
Riding the Bench

Post by jordan23 »

I really do not think Nick Shanks gets the credit he is deserved.

Badboy
Varsity

Post by Badboy »

JuanMorales wrote:Gullion has never impressed me. His best year was his Freshman year. Who really impressed me from Minford team was the Shepherd boy. But Rowe is the most talented player. I think that is dumb that the POY HAS to go to a player on the league champion team. So Tim Duncan should have won MVP over Kevin Durant last year. Duncan was a better player than Kevin Durant last year???
I will agree that Gullion was a much better scorer his freshman and sophomore years. It would have been nice to have seen him be more aggressive offensively this year, along with Rowe and the 2 good outside shooters they have. He is hard to stop when he is going to the rim.

That being said, the POY normally always follows down the path of the conference winning team, and should go to Rowe over Gullion even though Rowe is a junior.

Scarberry and Davis are good players but the mediocre seasons that West and NW had will keep them out of the race.

Rolfe is deserving and if it doesnt go to one of the conference winners, he would be my pick.

JMO

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

Hey we agree on something! I like seeing Seniors win it. It takes a SPECIAL type of player to win it as a Jr or just not any good seniors lol. I don't think Rowe is anything special. Very good, but not anything I haven't seen before in the SOC. There are some Seniors out there that are good enough to be considered POY. Hope one of them get it

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

POY should go to a senior , a very good basketball player and league winning team ? I Agree ... But to me this award means nothing ! A senior kid got the shaft of all shafts 2 years ago on the POY award he did not even get a co POY with a junior who was awarded it that year .. POY = Coaches conspiracy award !!

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

I disagree that the kid got shafted. When it comes to picking a kid for POY, you are picking an individual to represent your conference. That kid had some off court issues surrounding him and was not a good teammate. Not someone that I would consider a good representative of the conference. So it was given to the next best kid...

91Grad
JV Team

Post by 91Grad »

Hence the word kids ! These are kids . I know as a kid I had a different attitude back in the day also made a few mistakes as kid that has made a better adult today . So as Adult coaches we vote on POY not because of your basketball skills or how good of a baller you are but instead we vote on the few times I saw you play and didn't like your attitude and didn't think you were a good teammate and believed the rumor mill about you .... Let's rename it best attitude of the year award ..voted on my adults that are voting on kids .. Yep sounds perfect to me !

osu
Freshman Team

Post by osu »

When are they voted on?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

oakfan wrote:When are they voted on?
I think they are voting this week. I would say that the poy will be Brandon Rowe.

RIVERVALLEY09
Riding the Bench

Post by RIVERVALLEY09 »

Just my 2 cents. If you are the only star on a team then you will shine brighter than if you are on a team with more than one star. If you are the only scoring threat on your team then you are going to get your points. Not that it is considered in the selection prosess but attitude and character should count.

Return to “Boys Basketball”