Meigs thus far

jottings
SEOPS H

Re: Meigs thus far

Post by jottings »

I need an updated copy of the Meigs boys varsity-JVs for Saturday's game. Thanks.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Threads like this just continue to be an illustration of the mess that is Meigs basketball.

tortilla2
Waterboy

Post by tortilla2 »

IMO I still think Meigs does not have a true point guard or big man. I don't know if I can see this team winning many more or even anymore games at all this season. Both wins coming in the final seconds against opponents with a combined record of 1-17 I believe.

bumblebeetuna
Riding the Bench

Post by bumblebeetuna »

Seems like the freshmen and jv teams are always decent at meigs but when they get to varsity the bottom falls out.

tortilla2
Waterboy

Post by tortilla2 »

Now do we all agree that changes need to be made? Bringing up Blevins, Mattox, Hawley, and possibly the otber two freshman guards? It wouldn't hurt to try some new things out. Now saying to start the kids. Just give them a chance.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

It is obvious something has to be changed, However the question is. Is it the players or is it the Offense and Defense that is being run?

We can sit here and say the Offense and Defense isn't fit for the players that we have, but then again we can say it's the players turning the ball over 25 times a game, it's the little missed shots that aren't being made.

Regardless of what it is, we are now 2-6, we have beat Jackson (has 1 win in 2 years) we have beat Gallipolis (Has 1 win this season) We just got beat by Federal Hocking that had only won 1 game coming in. Yes we have played some tough teams (Warren, Fairland, Athens and Chesapeake) But barely beating Jackson by 2 points and only beating Gallipolis by 2 points and then getting beat by Federal Hocking by 19 points....Sorry but that means something just isn't working and if changes aren't made then you will not see any different results the rest of the season.

We are averaging only 44 ppg, giving up 61 ppg.
Averaging 25 turnovers a game.

Is the turnovers because of the Offense we are running or is it because of the Personnel?

All I know is I am so tired of Meigs Basketball being a laughing stock, I know dang well there is talent there and the coaches should see it, it shouldn't matter what class they are in, if they are the better ball players they should be on the court. What do you have to lose to try things differently, Your 2-6 and only 4 points away from being 0-8.

Next game versus Wellston should be interesting. We are both 2-6, both average 44 points per game and we both give up the average of 61 points per game....I am going to have to pick Meigs on this one because of the strength of opponents thus far. If we lose this one, there is definitely big problems that need to be taken care of.

bumblebeetuna
Riding the Bench

Post by bumblebeetuna »

I think they need to set at least two sophomores and try starting the blevins boy and Mattox boy I have seen enough to say something has to change.the Bartrum boy and mahr boy are not scorers and they play out of control but will be good players with maturity.hope something changes for everyone.

meigs_pride
Waterboy

Post by meigs_pride »

Rumor is a bunch of players are going to be leaving Meigs next year. Heard they all might be moving to the same school in the tvc ohio.

Steel Reserve
Riding the Bench

Post by Steel Reserve »

meigs_pride wrote:Rumor is a bunch of players are going to be leaving Meigs next year. Heard they all might be moving to the same school in the tvc ohio.
Not surprised! Looks like things haven't changed much at Meigs lately. I remember back when Carl Wolfe was the coach and we had some teams we could be proud of. I'd like to see his son, Carl Wolfe, Jr. get into coaching. I'd bet he could pull off some magic and make Meigs a power again.

the_big_coach
Freshman Team

Post by the_big_coach »

seems to me, everybody is a coach, I don't know a whole lot about basketball, Didn't meigs get a new coach this year, and people are all ready questioning him, he's been here half a season give the man a chance, don't question him just stand behind him and the kids. You can't make it a state champion team in one year, I don't know the coach and never meet him but lets hope he makes winners out of them and give him a chance instead of second guesting him on what defense or offense he is running. I know most of the kids that play and yes there are some athletes out there and are also great kids in general, so like I said give him a chance instead of being against him, be with him.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Steel Reserve wrote:
meigs_pride wrote:Rumor is a bunch of players are going to be leaving Meigs next year. Heard they all might be moving to the same school in the tvc ohio.
Not surprised! Looks like things haven't changed much at Meigs lately. I remember back when Carl Wolfe was the coach and we had some teams we could be proud of. I'd like to see his son, Carl Wolfe, Jr. get into coaching. I'd bet he could pull off some magic and make Meigs a power again.
Don't think Carl Michael could pass the background check. Also, he's doing pretty good being a magician.

ONE OF A KIND
Varsity

Post by ONE OF A KIND »

the_big_coach wrote:seems to me, everybody is a coach, I don't know a whole lot about basketball, Didn't meigs get a new coach this year, and people are all ready questioning him, he's been here half a season give the man a chance, don't question him just stand behind him and the kids. You can't make it a state champion team in one year, I don't know the coach and never meet him but lets hope he makes winners out of them and give him a chance instead of second guesting him on what defense or offense he is running. I know most of the kids that play and yes there are some athletes out there and are also great kids in general, so like I said give him a chance instead of being against him, be with him.
Yes but when Junior doesn't get to play, or score enough, or gets scolded too harshly a coach needs a good chewin on from mommy and daddy. If that doesn't get results, then run his arse out on a sled. The next guy might listen a little better. Who cares if we build a program, as long as Junior is happy. :lol:

drunkone
Riding the Bench

Post by drunkone »

Its the difference between VC and Meigs. And I must say we look forward to gaining some of those athletes someone mentioned previously.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

It really sucks to be a Meigs Fan and know that Meigs has so much talent but our record is 4-10, we are getting beat by all the DIII schools. I knew this year was going to be a tough year for us, but I never imagined it would be this tough. I'm not gonna say why we are losing, just gonna say that if things aren't working, then you have to change it. whether it be the offense or defense or whether it be the players on the court. I just know turnovers are killing us, when we played Athens the other day our first 7 trips down the court resulted in turnovers and we didn't even get a shot off.

Steel Reserve
Riding the Bench

Post by Steel Reserve »

People are right. This year has been a joke. Listen, Carl Wolfe, Jr. was an all state player and coaching is in his blood. Shouldn't the powers that be at least try to get him?

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Steel Reserve wrote:People are right. This year has been a joke. Listen, Carl Wolfe, Jr. was an all state player and coaching is in his blood. Shouldn't the powers that be at least try to get him?

Are you his friggin dad?

son_ofthe_south
Waterboy

Post by son_ofthe_south »

Steel Reserve wrote:People are right. This year has been a joke. Listen, Carl Wolfe, Jr. was an all state player and coaching is in his blood. Shouldn't the powers that be at least try to get him?
Felons can't coach in Ohio.

BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

Coach_K wrote:It really sucks to be a Meigs Fan and know that Meigs has so much talent but our record is 4-10, we are getting beat by all the DIII schools. I knew this year was going to be a tough year for us, but I never imagined it would be this tough. I'm not gonna say why we are losing, just gonna say that if things aren't working, then you have to change it. whether it be the offense or defense or whether it be the players on the court. I just know turnovers are killing us, when we played Athens the other day our first 7 trips down the court resulted in turnovers and we didn't even get a shot off.
Maybe Meigs fans should have thought about that before we ran off the good coach we already had at Meigs the last two years. You reap what you sow.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

:122246 I heard a former NFL guy may be coaching at Meigs next year.

I think his last name was Moss.

coach_k
JV Team

Post by coach_k »

BlizzardMan wrote:
Coach_K wrote:It really sucks to be a Meigs Fan and know that Meigs has so much talent but our record is 4-10, we are getting beat by all the DIII schools. I knew this year was going to be a tough year for us, but I never imagined it would be this tough. I'm not gonna say why we are losing, just gonna say that if things aren't working, then you have to change it. whether it be the offense or defense or whether it be the players on the court. I just know turnovers are killing us, when we played Athens the other day our first 7 trips down the court resulted in turnovers and we didn't even get a shot off.
Maybe Meigs fans should have thought about that before we ran off the good coach we already had at Meigs the last two years. You reap what you sow.
Curious to who the Great Coach was the last 2 seasons. Lets take a look at the previous 2 seasons:

2012/2013 Record 10-11

WINS
River Valley---52-41 (2-20 record)
Alexander------56-43 (5-18 record)
Wahama--------61-55 (10-13 record)
Southern--------53-39 (10-13 record)
Nelsonville---62-58 (15-7 record)
Wellston --------56-41 (11-12 record)
Jackson --------60-46 (1-23 record)
Alexander------ 47-43 (5-18 record)
River Valley----35-33 (2-20 record)
Fed. Hocking----57-51 (16-6 record)

So we beat 2 Teams with a Winning Record.

2013/2014 Record 8-12

WINS
River Valley---50-49 (5-16 record)
Alexander------56-43 (11-9 record)
Wellston --------66-49 (4-18 record)
Southern--------71-54 (16-6 record)
Wahama--------55-43 (10-13 record)
Nelsonville---62-58 (14-8 record)
Eastern --------54-35 (2-19 record)
Wellston --------40-39 (4-18 record)

3 Wins against teams with Winning Records.

Now This year:
2014/2015 Record so far 5-10

WINS
Jackson---59-57 (4-14 record)
Gallia------55-53 (3-15 record)
Nelsonville --------58-52 (5-10 record)
Belpre--------86-77 (4-11 record)
Wellston--------61-58(5-11 record)

So As of yet this year we haven't beat a Winning Team and we SHOULD at least beat Eastern, Wellston and Nelsonville again and possibly Southern. If we are to beat all 4 of these teams, That will put our record for the season at 9-13. In which would pretty much be the same as the Great Coach the previous seasons that you are talking about.

The biggest difference between this season and the last 2 seasons, this season Meigs has the Talent there available for them, but it hasn't been used and is being refused to be used for some reason. Makes people wonder what are they waiting for? Why is the talent not being used THIS YEAR??

Return to “Boys Basketball”